Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
He's assuming that there is no crossover for the tweeter, and that low frequencies are being driven to it, causing distortion. By adding a capacitor in series with the impedance of the speaker (4 ohms, though it's a function of frequency), you create a 'high-pass filter', so that only higher frequencies are passed.

This is a 'first order' high pass filter, which cuts off the lower frequencies more slowly than a higher order (more complicated) filter would.
High Pass Filter - Passive RC Filter Tutorial

I've assumed that the crossover function is done digitally in the amp. If I can figure out how to remove the door panels (or someone can tell me), I'll hook up a spectrum analyzer to see if the speakers are crossed over properly or not.

Last time I looked, I didn't see any screws on the door card. In previous cars, you'd remove a few screws, yank out the panel to release the clips, then lift it up.
Most American and Japanese cars just rely on snap and clips to attach the door panels. Special panel tool is needed to pop those panels off.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

This is disheartening to say the least. Did you have any discourse with the "field engineer".

Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fark!

Originally Posted by pistol
I unfortunately can relate. Same exact experience, 3 times in a row. I also won't get another Jag.

I've found the right capacitor spec and am going to try it out on my own, after a final attempt soon with Jag and the dealership.

As for the capacitor we need around 13uF to get a 3kHz filter.

0.159/(13.3uF/1e6*4) = 2988Hz

Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

Folks, I am running out of expletives and choice words for JLRNA and its dealerships! My system now rattles on every single track on the cd, and also, the panels (doors, upper and lower, behind the seats) unfortunately joined the "**** ME OFF" soundtrack as well. It did not before! But thanks to the blind deaf and incompetency across Jag and its dealerships rummaging in people's car without a clue.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

There is nothing much more that can be said, that already hasn't. At least my service manager admits they need help from JLR to solve problem. Doesn't appear that it's coming.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
There is nothing much more that can be said, that already hasn't. At least my service manager admits they need help from JLR to solve problem. Doesn't appear that it's coming.
Jaguny.....what they need to do is common sense. I had the same with the 2015 S and was going nuts...., and they dynomatted the entire door panel, which made the brilliance go away (excepting for tweeters of course). It did the trick 90% aside from this. However....here is the common sense:

On the 16 2nd half models, the 2016R that I bought the stereo is awesome "compared to the 15 I had"! If they do for all what they did in the factory for my car (2nd half 16 models) problem solved. Not sure what they did, but it is spot on for a fix. That is the solution.....repeat, repeat, repeat JLR!!!! And BTW, put a fix out to those with the problem in the market from prior years!!

Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-10-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

My build was 11/15 if I recall. Is that 2nd half build? I was told mine was fixed at factory. Not so fixed.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

My build was 11/15 if I recall. Is that 2nd half build? I was told mine was fixed at factory. Not so fixed.
Don't take this as Gospel Jaguny, but I was told by two folks that January build forward. I drove a lot today and cranked my stereo, base rich rock, and it was smoking good. Now, I hate saying that at the expense or feelings of others frustrated. However, I was in that boat with my 15 and was boiling upset. It has to be a factory adjustment made, successful and not being transferred to prior models mfg'd. in the past. Too bad, and I hope that JLR studies the success on the current model year, and puts a grandfathered fix to all the other F-type owners with the problem(s) in the stereo. Again, they did something right in my car and a few others, and why not all?!?

jaguny (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

No one understands JLRS lack of response.

slojotaa (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

No one understands JLRS lack of response.
As someone who e-mailed the head of US Marketing - three times mind you - about (any) support for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run, in addition to a well-placed friend very much in-the-know who reached out via other channels, without any reply whatsoever...it's obvious.

They are oblivious. Rude is another word, although I could easily come up with more.

Nuff said.

P.S. My J/LR dealer - Scarborough Jaguar - on the other hand was generous and exceptional in their support, all Lobster Runners notably impressed and very appreciative. Maine, The Way Life - and Jaguar Dealers - Should Be.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-09-2016 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
jaguny (07-10-2016), slojotaa (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
As someone who e-mailed the head of US Marketing - three times mind you - about (any) support for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run, in addition to a well-placed friend very much in-the-know who reached out via other channels, without any reply whatsoever...it's obvious.

They are oblivious. Rude is another word, although I could easily come up with more.

Nuff said.

P.S. My J/LR dealer - Scarborough Jaguar - on the other hand was generous and exceptional in their support, all Lobster Runners notably impressed and very appreciative. Maine, The Way Life - and Jaguar Dealers - Should Be.
I voiced my "displeasure" to JLRNA relative to brand erosion due to many if not a multitude of actions (or non-actions for that matter) that any thriving enterprise would fire people for. I have never heard of a business, fully divorcing itself from a dealer network that is mis-behaving. Even if the distributor/dealer is a wholly owned indep. business. The persuasion of the Mfg. based upon Brand strength and strategic value trumps everything!!! Jaguar, despite a great vehicle(s) has a lot of maturing to do here, and I am shocked that TATA has not stepped in on this based upon feedback, and there own strength.

With this said, there are some awesome people in JLRNA that I dealt with who helped me tremendously. I can't jump on a 100% no good bandwagon, as it wouldn't be fair. But they do owe people the courtesy of a callback 100% of the time, which anything less is unacceptable behavior, THOROUGHLY UNACCEPTABLE, and I would can somebody for not possessing this skill set, or developing it "QUICKKLY"!

jaguny (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I'm suppose to pickup my car on 7/16/16

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I voiced my "displeasure" to JLRNA relative to brand erosion due to many if not a multitude of actions (or non-actions for that matter) that any thriving enterprise would fire people for. I have never heard of a business, fully divorcing itself from a dealer network that is mis-behaving. Even if the distributor/dealer is a wholly owned indep. business. The persuasion of the Mfg. based upon Brand strength and strategic value trumps everything!!! Jaguar, despite a great vehicle(s) has a lot of maturing to do here, and I am shocked that TATA has not stepped in on this based upon feedback, and there own strength.

With this said, there are some awesome people in JLRNA that I dealt with who helped me tremendously. I can't jump on a 100% no good bandwagon, as it wouldn't be fair. But they do owe people the courtesy of a callback 100% of the time, which anything less is unacceptable behavior, THOROUGHLY UNACCEPTABLE, and I would can somebody for not possessing this skill set, or developing it "QUICKKLY"!
Hi guys,
The time has arrived, my sales rep told me today my car will be ready for pickup next Saturday. I been following this thread. The car is in storage and will physically be at the dealership on Saturday. I worked out all the financial aspects to NY sales deal so the only thing left is to test the stereo system at the dealership prior to signing the paperwork. I seriously hope it will be fine but I have my doubts. For the record, I do not like rap music or hip hop type music. Not my style. I prefer rock music. I will bring a Metalica CD with me to play in the car . if it passes I'll be ecstatic !
How do you think the speakers will hold up at high volume to this music. Your thoughts please.

https://youtu.be/boanuwUMNNQ

https://youtu.be/3nb7DD7vdQ0

Will the car's speakers withstand this type of music without the rattling and or sound distortion ?

Last edited by Ubad2; 07-09-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Addition to post
Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys,
The time has arrived, my sales rep told me today my car will be ready for pickup next Saturday. I been following this thread. The car is in storage and will physically be at the dealership on Saturday. I worked out all the financial aspects to NY sales deal so the only thing left is to test the stereo system at the dealership prior to signing the paperwork. I seriously hope it will be fine but I have my doubts. For the record, I do not like rap music or hip hop type music. Not my style. I prefer rock music. I will bring a Metalica CD with me to play in the car . if it passes I'll be ecstatic !
How do you think the speakers will hold up at high volume to this music. Your thoughts please.

Will the car's speakers withstand this type of music without the rattling and or sound distortion ?

Interesting similarity in events to me. My car was at the dealer, and ready for pickup. I told the rep (who I trust a lot) Richard, please go into the car, crank it with the most base on, i.e. no less than 75%, sub the same and treble at 85%. He did it 3 times and said, Joe this test has passed 3 times and I assure you that the stereo sounded fantastic. The volume was cranking to the point I couldn't stand it. I said Rock N Roll, and gave the types of bands, which were similar to what he was testing it on all 3 times.

To my satisfaction, he was spot on. It finally sounded like what I wanted in a stereo (especially compared to my 2015 F-type S) which was for **** as a stereo. I was so upset, and tired of hearing everybody weighing in with ....1) - Did you buy the car for the engine/exotic or the stereo, or 2) - Mine sounds great and there isn't anything wrong with the stereo's in the Jags; or 3) - lower the base to

Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi guys,

Congrats.. Which dealership are you picking it up at? Hope the stereo system is to your liking. Now you just need to sign up for Super Cars on State Street and join the caravan.....

Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Banned
Default Dealership ....

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Congrats.. Which dealership are you picking it up at? Hope the stereo system is to your liking. Now you just need to sign up for Super Cars on State Street and join the caravan.....
I'm getting my 2017 R Coupe from PRESTIGE JAGUAR, Paramus, NJ
State Street ???
What's that ...
Only State Street I can think of is in Hackensack.
Thanks.

slojotaa (07-09-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I'm getting my 2017 R Coupe from PRESTIGE JAGUAR, Paramus, NJ
State Street ???
What's that ...
Only State Street I can think of is in Hackensack.
Thanks.
Supercars On State Street | Harrisburg, PA

Old 07-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned
Default Thanks Unhinged .....

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Okay, now I know. Let's see how things turn out this upcoming Saturday at the dealer. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, now I know. Let's see how things turn out this upcoming Saturday at the dealer. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!
Make sure you cycle through the surround sound modes (Merdian, Dolby and DTS) and using CDs, streaming from phone,mush, satellite radio, (sounds the worst in mine). The sound is much better in mine in straight stereo, but I still need to dumb down the bass.

I'd be excited as you will love the car. Pictures please.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned
Default You got it ...

Make sure you cycle through the surround sound modes (Merdian, Dolby and DTS) and using CDs, streaming from phone,mush, satellite radio, (sounds the worst in mine). The sound is much better in mine in straight stereo, but I still need to dumb down the bass.

I'd be excited as you will love the car. Pictures please.
I'll definitely post pics .
The car is storm grey with black pack trim, upgraded rims to the black diamond style rims. Interior is black R performance seats with red stitching and red color seat belts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ubad2:
jaguny (07-13-2016), slojotaa (07-10-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation Unbelievable: Audio rattle fixed!

Hey guys - I bring fantastic news, after so many attempts and push back with the dealership and JLRNA, I can't believe I'm saying this but, they fixed the audio rattle/buzz in my F-Type!

I drove it for a few hours, and it's a substantial improvement, not only is the tweeter buzz/rattle gone, but the overall audio quality and bass is better.
I'm trying to get more specific details from the dealership into what exactly was the cause, but I have a detailed report of what they did.
As some of us already suspected, the issue seems to be isolated to the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) and/or Dynamic Sound Calibration done by it.

Here's an excerpt of the record:

L
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MR. PISTOL UNDERSTANDS HE DROPPING OFF THE VEHICLE TODAY EARLY
FOR HIS APPT FOR JLR IS UNTIL 07/19/2016
MISC ISJ
Tech(s): 3084
T2R21202
MISC CONCERN 1 KIT
0.00 Other:
N/C N/C
0.00 Total Line L: 0.00
Pts: 0.00 Lbr:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
M** CUST STATES SPEAKER BUZZ FROM TWEETERS
WJ
Tech(s): 3084
C2Z29300
Pts: 0.00 Lbr:
GENERAL REPAIRS N/C
1 AMPLIFIER N/C
0.00 Other: 0.00 Total Line M: 0.00
Story: 4038 AUDIO AMPLIFIER INTERNAL FAULT. TESTED THE SOUND
SYSTEM WITH THE JAGUAR FSE. VERIFIED THE NOISE IN THE
TWEETERS. PULLED BOTH DOOR PANELS AND INSTALLED THE SOP
TWEETERS. TESTED AGAIN USING THE FACTORY APPROVED SOUND
BITES. FOUND THE NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. PULLED IN DONOR CAR
-K26409. REMOVED THE AUDIO AMPLIFIER MODULE AND FITTED TO
THIS CAR. NOISE IN THE TWEETERS IS NOW GONE AND BASS NOTES
ARE STRONGER. NEW AMP IS ON VOR FOR THIS CAR. RECEIVED THE
NEW AMP. INSTALLED AND PERFORMED THE CONFIGURE AS NEW.
PERFORMED THE DYNAMIC SOUND CALIBRATION. TESTED WITH THE
AUDIO SYSTEM THROUGH THE USB. FOUND THE NOISE IN THE
TWEETERS (HIGH FREQUENCY BUZZING) HAS RETURNED. REPORTED TO
THE FSE, CALIBRATION LEVEL AND SOFTWARE NUMBERS. REASSEMBLED
THE DONOR CAR (VIN#-K26409). AS REQUESTED BY FSE, PULLED IN
A SECOND DONOR CAR WITH A KNOWN GOOD SYSTEM. STOCK NUMBER
J16126 VIN#-K31481. RELAYED THE SOFTWARE AND CALIBRATION #'S
TO THE FSE. REMOVED THE AAM FROM -K31481 AND INSTALLED IT
INTO THIS CAR. AUDIO PERFORMANCE HAS RETURNED TO NORMAL.
FINISHED INSTALLATION OF THIS AMP INTO CUSTOMERS CAR AND
PLACED A REPLACEMENT AMP ON VOR FOR THE STOCK UNIT. TESTED
FUNCTION OF THE AUDIO SYSTEM, ALL OK NOW. PULLED ORIGINAL
AMP FROM PARTS AND "AS REQUESTED" PLUGGED INTO THE SECOND
DONOR CAR. READ SOFTWARE, CALIBRATION FILE, AND HARDWARE
NUMBERS. FORWARDED ONTO THE FSE. PULLED OLD PART OUT AGAIN
AND RETURNED TO PARTS AS THE WARRANTY RETURN. TEST DROVE TO
HIGHWAY SPEEDS, IN PARKING LOT, AND ON EXPRESSWAY. FOUND NO
RETURN NOISES. OR AUDIO NOISES.
I was supposed to drop off my car specifically for the speakers issue, on July 19th, and the FSE would have come to San Jose, from San Diego to inspect in person. But 2 weeks ago I dropped off the car for a handful of other cabin interior non-speaker issues. You can find most of these issues in my recordings on the Youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bWKDURyo_IRDzv

They had the car for 2 weeks, and this time really spent the time trying to fix things. They fixed the seat creak, the door handle creak, the dashboard rattle/buzz, and surprisingly the speakers, which were not planned for this service visit.

I would hope that anyone else having the audio issues could refer to my case and VINs and be able to get the same exact fix!

Hopefully I can learn more about the underlying issue, but I think we have a big lead here, and a significant fix that's not just add some padding.

The following 7 users liked this post by pistol:
Cambo (07-17-2016), jaguny (07-18-2016), jm717 (07-19-2016), NTAV (07-19-2016), slojotaa (07-18-2016), Smoke Em (07-17-2016), tom-r (07-25-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Very interesting development! I knew it had to be software related.

Based on what you've relayed, there was an error in the factory and unfortunately it snowballed from there.

My take on it is;

An incorrect software was put in the amplifier in the factory in some of the cars (but not all)
The as-built file of the car (which is loaded into the dealers diagnostic system, SDD) recorded this incorrect version.
So if a dealer put in a new amplifier and reflashed it, it again got the incorrect software loaded into it, which is why the problem remained.
By pulling the amp from a car with the correct software & settings, and not reflashing it in your car (keeping the software from the donor car) the problem was solved.

When a tech goes to reflash a module he doesn't have any choice in the version of software that goes into that module. The SDD automatically chooses the software based on the as-built file of the car, the module part number, and the software files stored in the SDD. There are ways around this but it requires coded access and manual manipulation of the files, which is generally left to the tech support / FSE's, the dealer techs don't do this themselves.

So there is a fix, a workaround. And i'd expect that sooner rather than later, there will be new software versions for the Audio Amplifiers for the dealers to flash in, or maybe they will have to update/correct the as-built files which are stored in the SDD.

Good news for everyone

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
Foosh (07-18-2016), NTAV (07-19-2016), pistol (07-18-2016), slojotaa (07-18-2016)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question