F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut1
I have been messing with the car that is going back but it seems that you need to keep the bass and the sub volume turned down if you want to turn up the volume without rattles. I pretty only listen to the dead, the band, etc. Not much for anything in the last 20 years (I am what you might call a dinosaur wen it comes to music think it ended when Jerry died), Seems to me 770 watts and all those speakers is a lot for such a small space.
Where do your rattles come from? Subwoofer, door panels, tweeters?

Maybe you're running into the same issue as in posts #619 and #620, in which case you can print that and show it to your dealer to fix.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I just usually just turn my hearing aids up LOL!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut1
I have been messing with the car that is going back but it seems that you need to keep the bass and the sub volume turned down if you want to turn up the volume without rattles. I pretty only listen to the dead, the band, etc. Not much for anything in the last 20 years (I am what you might call a dinosaur wen it comes to music think it ended when Jerry died), Seems to me 770 watts and all those speakers is a lot for such a small space.
Jerry's gone, man? I just saw him playing down at a dive in the French Quarter a couple weeks ago. I'm so bummed!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Received 170 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Hey guys - I bring fantastic news, after so many attempts and push back with the dealership and JLRNA, I can't believe I'm saying this but, they fixed the audio rattle/buzz in my F-Type!

I drove it for a few hours, and it's a substantial improvement, not only is the tweeter buzz/rattle gone, but the overall audio quality and bass is better.
I'm trying to get more specific details from the dealership into what exactly was the cause, but I have a detailed report of what they did.
As some of us already suspected, the issue seems to be isolated to the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) and/or Dynamic Sound Calibration done by it.

Here's an excerpt of the record:
I was supposed to drop off my car specifically for the speakers issue, on July 19th, and the FSE would have come to San Jose, from San Diego to inspect in person. But 2 weeks ago I dropped off the car for a handful of other cabin interior non-speaker issues. You can find most of these issues in my recordings on the Youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bWKDURyo_IRDzv

They had the car for 2 weeks, and this time really spent the time trying to fix things. They fixed the seat creak, the door handle creak, the dashboard rattle/buzz, and surprisingly the speakers, which were not planned for this service visit.

I would hope that anyone else having the audio issues could refer to my case and VINs and be able to get the same exact fix!

Hopefully I can learn more about the underlying issue, but I think we have a big lead here, and a significant fix that's not just add some padding.

All Affected Owners,

Pistol is correct that JLR has come out with a new solution to address the Meridian 770 Sound System problems. If you are still experiencing problems with your Meridian 770 Sound System bring it back to the dealer, provide an EXACT copy of the work done on Pistol's car and have them apply the EXACT fix that Pistol received. Pistol, if you will, please provide any other useful information for forum members to bring with them and the dealers to reference.

Once this EXACT fix has been applied to your vehicle, please post the results here on the forum as to if your Meridian 770 issues were resolved. I have received assurances from the highest levels in JLR that they believe this is the fix for the poorly functioning Meridian 770 systems that we have been waiting for.

As this latest fix still needs to be validated, I have promised to provide your feedback about the results of the fix back to JLR leadership - so please get to your dealers with Pistol's information and let us know the results. This is all that I can share at this time...

Thank you for your patience!

The following 2 users liked this post by FeralSVR:
jaguny (07-21-2016), pistol (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
All Affected Owners,

Pistol is correct that JLR has come out with a new solution to address the Meridian 770 Sound System problems. If you are still experiencing problems with your Meridian 770 Sound System bring it back to the dealer, provide an EXACT copy of the work done on Pistol's car and have them apply the EXACT fix that Pistol received. Pistol, if you will, please provide any other useful information for forum members to bring with them and the dealers to reference.

Once this EXACT fix has been applied to your vehicle, please post the results here on the forum as to if your Meridian 770 issues were resolved. I have received assurances from the highest levels in JLR that they believe this is the fix for the poorly functioning Meridian 770 systems that we have been waiting for.

As this latest fix still needs to be validated, I have promised to provide your feedback about the results of the fix back to JLR leadership - so please get to your dealers with Pistol's information and let us know the results. This is all that I can share at this time...

Thank you for your patience!

Great to hear further confirmation from JLR here. Indeed, please print out the exact report from my post for a record of what they did.

Additional info you can reference:

- The dealership that was involved and fixed the issue for me:
Jaguar Land Rover San Jose
4040 Stevens Creek Blvd
San Jose, California 95129
(408) 246-7600

- The dealership service advisor in charge of my service appointments and aware of the case:
Pepe Jose Cortez
(408) 423-4719

- The JLR CRC Supervisor handling the official audio issue case:
Stacey Roumantzas
(201) 818-8436

- The Jaguar FSE / tech support that was involved:
Rob Davis
I wasn't able to get any direct contact info for him.

- The key VIN info for my car:
K33287

- The key VIN for the two donor cars that had a good audio system and amplifier
K26409 and K31481

- My lastname:
Pistol

Last edited by pistol; 07-20-2016 at 09:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by pistol:
FeralSVR (07-20-2016), go0sebumpz (11-30-2017), jaguny (07-21-2016), Mbourne (07-20-2016), Smoke Em (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 PM

Excellent! Thank you Pistol for providing this important information...

Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=pistol;1501496]Great to hear further confirmation from JLR here.

Pistol, I have a question for you based upon your fix. I was one of the pioneers in slapping the audio system when I owned a 2015 S. I traded it in and went for a 2016 R, which I am overjoyed with to say the least.

The stereo system is much improved over the S, hands down without question. I am happy with the sound, lacks bottom and base, but happy, especially when I play with the settings, i.e. Meridian etc. etc.

? for you. I wonder if I should mess with this. Sirius is terrible in sound and amplifies the rattles a bit. USB/Iphone connected and bluetooth are the best. Should I get this fix, and did your sound go from rattles and vibrations to awesome, or just to no rattles and vibration and acceptable? Thoughts?

If not a material improvement, I would just leave it alone and not have them rip the car apart for "minor" result(s).
Thanks, and your opinion is value since the explanation and result of your system fix was clearest that I have seen on the forums over the past 2 years.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Great to hear further confirmation from JLR here. Indeed, please print out the exact report from my post for a record of what they did.

Additional info you can reference:

- The dealership that was involved and fixed the issue for me:
Jaguar Land Rover San Jose
4040 Stevens Creek Blvd
San Jose, California 95129
(408) 246-7600

- The dealership service advisor in charge of my service appointments and aware of the case:
Pepe Jose Cortez
(408) 423-4719

- The JLR CRC Supervisor handling the official audio issue case:
Stacey Roumantzas
(201) 818-8436

- The Jaguar FSE / tech support that was involved:
Rob Davis
I wasn't able to get any direct contact info for him.

- The key VIN info for my car:
K33287

- The key VIN for the two donor cars that had a good audio system and amplifier
K26409 and K31481

- My lastname:
Pistol

Well for me at least, I did as instructed (copy/paste and printed your service ticket and the service writer told me that she had forwarded the info to her manager...so far with no luck! Following up with them produced this reply: "well, the field tech came and concluded this problem is 'NORMAL' so even with this, we can't do anything unless JLRNA is willing to pay for our tech to lift a finger"

My S AWD has only 2200 miles and well within the warranty. So I am back to square one drinking the kool-aid they gave me. But before stepping back into the car to leave with disappointment, my hope went up for just a second because a siliconed/botoxed lady come running out toward me from the dealership (which I thought it was the manager coming to tell me A OK for the repair service), unfortunately, she was offering to sell me polo shirts with the Jag/Dealership embroidered on them and wrapping films for the car

The following users liked this post:
FeralSVR (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
Well for me at least, I did as instructed (copy/paste and printed your service ticket and the service writer told me that she had forwarded the info to her manager...so far with no luck! Following up with them produced this reply: "well, the field tech came and concluded this problem is 'NORMAL' so even with this, we can't do anything unless JLRNA is willing to pay for our tech to lift a finger"
(

My experience was similar. I called my usual service adviser, who has been helpful in the past. They basically said they would "look into it" but said that unless its warrantied/published they can't go ahead with an appointment/fix. I gave them the info for the VIN and FSE name, but my hopes are not very high at the moment.

Obviously all the troubleshooting information in the world isn't going to help us if it's not an approved fix. So the next question is, how to I get special permission from Jag to my Dealer to start this work?

FeralSVR (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:47 AM

My S AWD has only 2200 miles and well within the warranty. So I am back to square one drinking the kool-aid they gave me. But before stepping back into the car to leave with disappointment, my hope went up for just a second because a siliconed/botoxed lady come running out toward me from the dealership (which I thought it was the manager coming to tell me A OK for the repair service), unfortunately, she was offering to sell me polo shirts with the Jag/Dealership embroidered on them and wrapping films for the car
Originally Posted by TheStrategist
My experience was similar. I called my usual service adviser, who has been helpful in the past. They basically said they would "look into it" but said that unless its warrantied/published they can't go ahead with an appointment/fix. I gave them the info for the VIN and FSE name, but my hopes are not very high at the moment.

Obviously all the troubleshooting information in the world isn't going to help us if it's not an approved fix. So the next question is, how to I get special permission from Jag to my Dealer to start this work?
Sorry to hear guys - I know the feeling... but keep pushing!

I would really suggest both of you reach out directly to the Jaguar CRC Supervisor I worked with, who's very well aware of my case and the internal discussions within Jaguar and FSE to resolve it across multiple attempts. She can open a unique case for you easily.

So please contact Stacey at her direct number and mention your issue as well as my case for reference. She's very easy to work with and will reach out to the dealership for you.

FeralSVR (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa

Pistol, I have a question for you based upon your fix. I was one of the pioneers in slapping the audio system when I owned a 2015 S. I traded it in and went for a 2016 R, which I am overjoyed with to say the least.

The stereo system is much improved over the S, hands down without question. I am happy with the sound, lacks bottom and base, but happy, especially when I play with the settings, i.e. Meridian etc. etc.

? for you. I wonder if I should mess with this. Sirius is terrible in sound and amplifies the rattles a bit. USB/Iphone connected and bluetooth are the best. Should I get this fix, and did your sound go from rattles and vibrations to awesome, or just to no rattles and vibration and acceptable? Thoughts?

If not a material improvement, I would just leave it alone and not have them rip the car apart for "minor" result(s).
Thanks, and your opinion is value since the explanation and result of your system fix was clearest that I have seen on the forums over the past 2 years.
In your case when you get rattles, can you isolate the source? Is it coming from the tweeters? Or is it just the overall cabin interior and not the speakers themselves? e.g. Is it the windows/doors/rear hatch.

In my case the speaker rattles are gone, and now I can both raise the volume higher, and also boost up the the settings for bass/sub. For example I would have to really tone down the bass before in EQ, but now I can simply keep it at mid-level/default or even up it up to 60-70%.

Now since I can basically boost the volume and bass quite a bit more than what I was using before, I can make it generate some rattles, but they're not the same kind of speaker rattles I had that really bothered me. This is purely the vibration of some interior things like the windows, or doors.

It would say that with the fix, the speaker sounds good now - but it still doesn't sound like you'd expect a 110K car. Heck, the audio in the (cheaper) BMW M4 I test-drove before the F-Type, was simply awesome.

It's very simple, if you can determine your speakers (tweeters in particular) do rattle even at regular/normal volume (e.g. try the 30-40Hz bass frequencies via a tone app or a pre-recorded track), then you should absolutely get the fix. They will only be taking out the AAM/Amp and putting a new one. The amp is easily accessible, located behind the passenger seat, on the upper side. They wouldn't have to tear down your entire car for this.

If however you happen to already have a good amp / don't have the speaker rattle I had, and you're just noticing interior rattles, then that's just a "add more padding" sort of fix for the areas.

It's not covered in my last report, but over the multiple visits with Jag, they added various padding around the car, so I think that made things somewhat better too.

Hope this helps.

Item
Description
1. Digital Radio Control Module (DRCM) or Satellite Radio Control Module (SRCM) (depending on market specification) (only on InControl Touch Plus Meridian® Surround Audio System (770W))
2. Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
3. Integrated Audio Module (IAM) (on InControl Touch Plus Meridian® Surround Audio System) or Audio Head Unit (AHU) (on InControl Touch Audio Systems)

Last edited by pistol; 07-22-2016 at 04:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pistol:
FeralSVR (07-22-2016), NTAV (07-24-2016), slojotaa (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:50 PM

NTAV - Your feedback has been forwarded to JLR

NTAV (07-24-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM

The Strategist - Your feedback has been forwarded to JLR

Last edited by FeralSVR; 07-22-2016 at 01:17 PM.
TheStrategist (07-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No response from anyone I've contacted yet.
Which begs the question, Pistol. Did you know someone from Jaguar? Did you have to pay anything out of pocket for this? What exactly did you do to get them to fix it?

NTAV (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I opened up the panel behind the center armrest looking for some rattles and there were multiple loose foam blocks and a metal clip just laying in there amongst the wiring. These weren't the cause of the rattling, but it did kind of bug me that a brand new car just had bits in there laying around like garbage.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
NTAV - Your feedback has been forwarded to JLR

Thanks FeralSVR

FeralSVR (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 AM
Default Help?

Originally Posted by Nati
I opened up the panel behind the center armrest looking for some rattles and there were multiple loose foam blocks and a metal clip just laying in there amongst the wiring. These weren't the cause of the rattling, but it did kind of bug me that a brand new car just had bits in there laying around like garbage.
Same with me! I found toothpick and plastic sleeves from electrical wires that were stripped when I don't know, behind the panel as well.

Anyway, does anyone know how or have access to the USB ports diagram, the ones to the left and right of the CD slot in the media console? Mine on the driver side stopped working after the month long of the Meridian waterboarding "attempted" repair. Brought it in and the guy did something then said that it was loose, proceeded to plug his phone in, pried off the panel and did something and said he reconnected, all good to go. Two days later, the port failed again and I am a bit unwilling to drive there for five minutes worth of 'repair' and I am sure they are tired of seeing my ugly face showing up. I will try to reconnect it myself with some help from more informed members here. Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the tangent conversation from the topic at hand, regarding the damn media center in this beautiful car.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 AM

No response from anyone I've contacted yet.
Which begs the question, Pistol. Did you know someone from Jaguar? Did you have to pay anything out of pocket for this? What exactly did you do to get them to fix it?
I worked with the Jaguar CRC Supervisor, see Stacey's direct contact number in my earlier post - did you already contact her?

I didn't pay anything out of pocket. I initially had a case with CRC, the rep there was most unhelpful, and ultimately Jaguar tried to close it saying there's no issue according to the dealer. I pushed back and got to the supervisor in question, and involved the General Manager at the dealership too, and across a few months and multiple trips to the dealer insisted on the speaker issue. In particular I wanted the FSE to come in and take a look personally instead of the dealership that brushed it off and wasn't qualified.

Basically by now the whole dealership knows me It certainly didn't help that I did not buy the car from them, as they were a pain to work with and had nowhere near as good a deal as elsewhere.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Basically by now the whole dealership knows me It certainly didn't help that I did not buy the car from them, as they were a pain to work with and had nowhere near as good a deal as elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Hi Pistol
I find more often than not that the "sales side" of a dealership, is grossly different from the "service side". They could not be further apart in culture, attitude etc.

My dealership that I buy my cars from is different from the dealership for service. why? The exact reason. The one in NJ could care less about me in sales, no return calls, no give, no anything, however the service side bends over backwards always. I am bringing two cars for service over time and none were bought there, and I will keep it that way.

Now with the above said, not to change the thread, they were the ones who originally bent over backwards to work on my 2015 S, and it was a success. You are certainly correct, keep on pushing and never give up. They will yield, if at worse to "shut one up"! Especially if the sales guys feel that the noise is seeping into there territory :-)!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Question ....

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Basically by now the whole dealership knows me It certainly didn't help that I did not buy the car from them, as they were a pain to work with and had nowhere near as good a deal as elsewhere.
Hi Pistol
I find more often than not that the "sales side" of a dealership, is grossly different from the "service side". They could not be further apart in culture, attitude etc.

My dealership that I buy my cars from is different from the dealership for service. why? The exact reason. The one in NJ could care less about me in sales, no return calls, no give, no anything, however the service side bends over backwards always. I am bringing two cars for service over time and none were bought there, and I will keep it that way.

Now with the above said, not to change the thread, they were the ones who originally bent over backwards to work on my 2015 S, and it was a success. You are certainly correct, keep on pushing and never give up. They will yield, if at worse to "shut one up"! Especially if the sales guys feel that the noise is seeping into there territory :-)![/QUOTE]

May I ask which Jaguar dealer you are taking your car too .
Thank you ...

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question