F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Just for clarification... The adjustment referenced took a good working no ratlle system, 770W, and made it sound materially better? If so, I am looking into this, and if not....I will leave well enough alone.

My rating is as follows, High/Medium/Low:

1. - Rattles - Low occurrence but can be recreated with certain tunes
2. - Bottom - Low bottom/minimum base/Muddy at times
3. - Highs - Decent highs, no complaints here

All listenable though, thus if a "material" improvement I am all in, but if marginal....I will leave well enough alone.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Sorry, they did everything for me without charge.. I've bought a number of cars from them so they took care of these minor things and the stereo fix was warranty. As well, they inconvenienced me when I picked up my new XE sport, so they wanted to make up for it.

I will contact him tomorrow and ask for a reference and let you know.
Lawrence

Just spoke with the master mechanic that did the update:

He said this is a new upgrade and there is no 'number' assigned yet; basically its being tested on some customers and awaiting feedback before it is made into an official upgrade.

Apparently if your dealer goes into their system and looks up Audio Amplifier Update, they will find it.

From my perspective it is an improvement as it seems to route the lower frequency to more appropriate speakers. If you have rattling speakers I would think this will improve things for sure, however, a speaker that rattles may still do so if pushed or with certain tracks.
Lawrence

The following 3 users liked this post by Mulmur:
FeralSVR (08-26-2016), jaguny (08-26-2016), SinF (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I'll take it by the dealer next week, I appreciate the advice and hope this is a fix!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

OK sorry for the rant Jaguar, my car had the fix and it was my old iPhone 4s, I got a 6S and it sounds amazing with some playing around. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi MaximA, that's interesting... how do you connect your iPhone? Cable or Bluetooth? Cheers Tom

Old 09-03-2016, 05:12 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
OK sorry for the rant Jaguar, my car had the fix and it was my old iPhone 4s, I got a 6S and it sounds amazing with some playing around. I'm perfectly happy with it.
You mean to say that you assessed the quality of the cars sound system based on shitty compressed mp3's played from an old iphone?

Wow... don't ever call yourself a "huge audiophile" ever again...

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (09-24-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tom-r
Hi MaximA, that's interesting... how do you connect your iPhone? Cable or Bluetooth? Cheers Tom
I used the cable and blue tooth, set the sound to Meridian as the others still sound like mud. This has to be how they are crossed over or not. In any other mode the speakers sound like they exposed to the entire frequency range causing distortion.

Now with Bluetooth I was using an older 4S that never really worked that well. It sounded fine wired in the XKR, but I never tried it wired in the SVR as I only had it for a day.

One thing I later noticed on the Iphone 4s is that I had a low end processing option on. Make sure all the processing is off, and no custom EQ settings are defined. Another difference I noticed is the 4s was that it distorted when at full volume and the 6S did not using Bluetooth. So you want to find that sweat spot where the music signal is higher than the noise(S/N ratio), or you end up amplifying noise.

Considering noise, now what your playing made a difference IMO, I usually download my music from Tidal High Fi(no streaming), or I have ripped CDs to AAC or WAV on my Windows phone.

Poorly ripped overly compressed Mp3s do not sound so great anywhere and the same goes here even more so. It's not really the bit rate but the quality of the compression. If your also streaming you also have to considering buffering and signal quality, it not as good as Satellite.

I'm not expecting home audio quality here. Not even the best car audio but I found a happy median and at times I need to make adjustments.

It took a day of driving around and adjusting the settings to get it to a good spot. The Meridian setting gives you much more if a center image to the vocals which is nice to hear. The high bass and low mid 200hz to 400hz can still get fuzzy as it sounds a bit over driven, but that could have been to over power any road noise at low volumes.

I'm really sorry for the rant, I've been old school and used CDs for music I love, and the XKR was just good with minimal intervention. I've never had Bluetooth streaming, and just from a technical standpoint there can be many areas of signal degradation. You also have to consider the Bluetooth version, firmware and drivers being used as possible weak spots.

I'm going to go try the settings on a friends 2015 F Type R that is having some issues so I'll report back as to what I find.

Have a good weekend!

Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default That's Good to Know

Originally Posted by billydjenn
Jaguar is aware of an issue with the Meridian system and is currently working with Meridian music on a fix. One thing that has been found is some of the rattle is actually coming from the base system agitating some of the wiring in the door panels and behind the seats causing a "Rattle" sound. If you turn the base down (Which you shouldnt have to do) it eliminates most of the rattles. They system is so powerful it is rattling the car.
I am taking my car in next week to address a few minor niggles. One that's most irritating is how the stereo (770 watt) vibrates the fold-down storage area between driver and passenger’s seat. I assumed it was the subwoofer since it's worst when I have it set to Meridian Surround and the volume's up.

I am hoping they can tighten up the fold-down arm-rest or stuff some padding into the body cavity. It's quite annoying.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my F-Type R into the dealer last week and they did the software update for the amp. It totally worked!!! Mind you, the speaker and audio system is still not great, but now the bass and lower frequency sounds are so much better at low volumes. Finally acceptable! Get the software update! The dealer had to find it through this forum first. Had no idea what I was taking about when I brought it in. But through here they figured it out and found the software update! Thanks guys!

The following 3 users liked this post by MikeW1:
James Tootle (09-24-2016), MaximA (09-25-2016), slojotaa (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW1
I took my F-Type R into the dealer last week and they did the software update for the amp. It totally worked!!! Mind you, the speaker and audio system is still not great, but now the bass and lower frequency sounds are so much better at low volumes. Finally acceptable! Get the software update! The dealer had to find it through this forum first. Had no idea what I was taking about when I brought it in. But through here they figured it out and found the software update! Thanks guys!
Awesome, great to hear confirmation!
Can you post the exact bulletin number they used to fix it, from the invoice?

Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My dealer says they have to have direction from JLR and not from a forum post, even if it was done by a other JLR dealer. Frustrating

Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
My dealer says they have to have direction from JLR and not from a forum post, even if it was done by a other JLR dealer. Frustrating
As in they won't fix yours even though there is a TSB for it?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Default Thanks SO MUCH for the tip!

Originally Posted by MikeW1
I asked the technician to install the stereo software upgrade and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He even commented that I 'must have read about it on a forum.'

I am picking the car up this evening so, hopefully, it helped quell my main concern: I'm fine with the 770 watt system's sound quality, but the buzzing/rattling is driving me mad. We'll see . . .

Last edited by Tommy Ferrugia; 09-29-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
This is an absolute cop-out, and I would push hard. I hate lazy assed service, and this sounds just like that.....LAZY ASSED! They could speak with the other dealer and get the appropriate information on your behalf as a part of the "jaguar" family, despite indep. ownership of dealerships.

This froths me hearing this. OK, I'm done.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Default I second that

Originally Posted by slojotaa
This is an absolute cop-out, and I would push hard. I hate lazy assed service, and this sounds just like that.....LAZY ASSED! They could speak with the other dealer and get the appropriate information on your behalf as a part of the "jaguar" family, despite indep. ownership of dealerships.

This froths me hearing this. OK, I'm done.
Call Jaguar North America and submit a complaint about the dealership. I had my '14 upgraded simply by asking for it.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by James Tootle
As in they won't fix yours even though there is a TSB for it?
If a TSB is issued, they will fix. I don't understand what drove them to replace the amp when I first complained (when I picked up the car first time).

Old 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=James Tootle;1541463]As in they won't fix yours even though there is a TSB for it?[/QUOTE

Repeated response deleted.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad to see the audio issue is finally officially recognized and fixed.
Does someone have the TSB number for it?

Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still no TSB available? my dealer also asks for it and I can't wait for it to finally get this problem (after a whole year!!!) fixed.

Pistol: Thank you VERY MUCH for your great work!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tom-r
still no TSB available? my dealer also asks for it and I can't wait for it to finally get this problem (after a whole year!!!) fixed.

Pistol: Thank you VERY MUCH for your great work!
Good afternoon Tom-r,

Thank you for your post.

Please do not hesitate to PM me should you require any further assistance, and should any other member require any assistance, once again please do not hesitate to PM me where I will be happy to assist where possible.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question