Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Good day Amellia @CRCjaguar,

my dealer told me if there is no TSB he can't download the fix. What should I tell him as I am taking the car in for service tomorrow? I'm still getting a a negligible amount of low end distortion from the doors and rear sub woofers.

Hope you're enjoying your day and thank you for your time,
Max

Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My tweeters were buzzing and speakers were rattling so bad I couldn't take it anymore so I contacted corporate, they contacted my dealer, my dealer called me saying they would like to see what else they can do...

I went back into this thread a couple of pages back and printed Pistol's work records for his car. I dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday and handed the guy my printouts and told him this car has been fixed and this is what they did to it.

I told my dealer I can semi put up with the rattles everywhere else if I turn my music up, but if my music rattles and buzz too, i can't live with it. This is the 5th time my car has been in the shop for the last 2 months that I have it.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also waiting for the official TSB on this issue. I have had my car for 5 months and the stereo buzzing and rattling is so bad I can barely stand it. I'm pretty much limited to talk radio at this point because the speakers buzz so badly with music. So frustrating and the last time I took it into the dealer they did nothing about it even though I printed out the description of the SW fix for the amplifier.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

So my dealership did my amp update and it definitely made a difference. It's not perfect but much better. My dealer actually already knew about the update so it was pretty simple. Plus they are also installing my quicksilver exhaust so pretty excited to get the car back tomorrow

The following 2 users liked this post by Prophizee:
James Tootle (10-15-2016), pistol (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Prophizee
So my dealership did my amp update and it definitely made a difference. It's not perfect but much better. My dealer actually already knew about the update so it was pretty simple. Plus they are also installing my quicksilver exhaust so pretty excited to get the car back tomorrow
Awesome! Can you share the work sheet details of what TSB/record they used to fix the amp?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:06 AM

When i get to work I'll scan an Upload work order

tom-r (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom-r
still no TSB available? my dealer also asks for it and I can't wait for it to finally get this problem (after a whole year!!!) fixed.

Pistol: Thank you VERY MUCH for your great work!
This is what was on the paper-work.

PS - i think its SSM72156, however the problem wasn't totally fixed on the first visit (with the software upgrade) so the dealership changed two of the speakers. I pick up up tomorrow so we'll see . . .

Last edited by Tommy Ferrugia; 10-14-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 PM

Got a word back from my dealer, they can't find the bulletin and so they can't do s*** about it so they are asking for more time with the car...

They said all the work order I printed out for them is useless.

What I don't understand is why are some dealers know about the bulletin and some doesn't. Super duper frustrated right now

Old 10-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine got the amplifier reprogram ages ago without even asking. All I asked them to do was the TSB for rattles in the door.

I don't often get a chance to crank it, but yesterday in traffic I put on Mark Knopfler Live in Glasgow. Thought I was actually in the audience. It was that good. It definitely sounds better loud than soft. No rattles, no bass through the tweets but I could feel the door card moving under my arm.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my 2015 R back from the dealer today after getting the rattles fixed and the amp software update. No more rattles at all! Seems like the rear speakers aren't quite as loud as they used to be, but that could all be in my head.

pistol (10-18-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM

I heard from the San Jose, CA dealership today that "a friend of mine" drove all the way from Arizona (that's close to 15 hours of driving) to have his speaker rattle fixed the same way - and they did fix it.

So dear Arizona friend, raise your hand here and tell us about the experience

Old 10-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
I heard from the San Jose, CA dealership today that "a friend of mine" drove all the way from Arizona (that's close to 15 hours of driving) to have his speaker rattle fixed the same way - and they did fix it.

So dear Arizona friend, raise your hand here and tell us about the experience
Haha, that is probably a VERY tall tale being told. I called your service advisor at the san jose dealer and told him I was thinking about driving my jag out there to get a guaranteed fix. But after he told me 5 days in the shop i was like 'no ty'.

pistol (10-20-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well folks, I am at a lost, frustrated, confused, and frankly pissed off at Jaguar!

To some, music in a car is a secondary or even tertiary thing for them because exhaust notes and on lookers are the real honey to their ears. Me, my car's interior and its music are my only sanctuary. Everything from Fitzgerald to Davis, to Marley to Cash, to Floyd to Mozart and even EDM like Deadmau5 and Oakenfold. Hence, I guess I best vent to this fellowship of F-type owners and gurus!

Had my 2016 V6S with the same problem, like many, it sat at the dealership for more than a month with similar B.S. from the techs, field engineers, and corporate all concluded the rattling as "normal", F-you and thanks for buying. Then, the great flood of Louisiana this past August finally totaled my car and addition to my sadness, it rid me of the headache dealing with this Meridian issue, inadvertently. Now, a new owner of 2017 V8R, to my extreme disappointment, the problem persists in the new car as well. I thought I read on this thread somewhere that after a certain batch/vin # or later model, the problem was alleviated. I am sorely wronged and very sorry they got me again. Never a third time or again with Jaguar.

BTW, does anyone know how to fix the creaky noises that seem to come from the two angular pillars behind the seats; ones that support the roof to the rear deck?? It too, drives me insane from lacking music because of the damn rattling noises!

Last edited by NTAV; 11-01-2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM

so here is weird question i got the dealer to update the amp, now with the top system sounds relatively good, but with the top down it begins to rattle. Is this due to the fact the amp re calibrates itself when the top is down vs up.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Hey don't give up yet. I have been trying to find a solution for this too.

I live in San Diego but I got my car in Pasadena. The dealership here won't do anything about it so I called and spoke to the service manager in Pasadena about 2 weeks ago and he said corporate is releasing a software update for the speakers within a couple of weeks and all dealerships should be getting this.

I am waiting for it and will check with the dealership here in a couple weeks.

Check with the dealers around you.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by NTAV
Well folks, I am at a lost, frustrated, confused, and frankly pissed off at Jaguar!

To some, music in a car is a secondary or even tertiary thing for them because exhaust notes and on lookers are the real honey to their ears. Me, my car's interior and its music are my only sanctuary. Everything from Fitzgerald to Davis, to Marley to Cash, to Floyd to Mozart and even EDM like Deadmau5 and Oakenfold. Hence, I guess I best vent to this fellowship of F-type owners and gurus!

Had my 2016 V6S with the same problem, like many, it sat at the dealership for more than a month with similar B.S. from the techs, field engineers, and corporate all concluded the rattling as "normal", F-you and thanks for buying. Then, the great flood of Louisiana this past August finally totaled my car and addition to my sadness, it rid me of the headache dealing with this Meridian issue, inadvertently. Now, a new owner of 2017 V8R, to my extreme disappointment, the problem persists in the new car as well. I thought I read on this thread somewhere that after a certain batch/vin # or later model, the problem was alleviated. I am sorely wronged and very sorry they got me again. Never a third time or again with Jaguar.

BTW, does anyone know how to fix the creaky noises that seem to come from the two angular pillars behind the seats; ones that support the roof to the rear deck?? It too, drives me insane from lacking music because of the damn rattling noises!
The 2017 needs the same fix, the models coming out the factory line still have the wrong AMP software/calibration.

I've heard that Jaguar told dealers to temporarily halt attempting to fix the speakers/amp and wait for the official software update coming soon. If you recall, in my case (being the first or one of the first) they replaced my amp with a properly calibrated one, but did NOT calibrate it in my vehicle afterwards. That's the workaround, given a good amp with good software. The real fix is for the calibration to do the right thing for cars where the CCF is wrong, throwing off calibration.

As for the creaky noises, I've had that complaint for months and multiple trips to the dealers. Whenever the car body would flex (road bumps, ramps, hard brake, etc) the door/pillar areas would creak significantly. Recently resolved it by asking the dealer to apply a special silicon lubricant/grease to the door rubber seals. It's been a couple weeks since, and I've been very happy with the results, those creaks are practically gone! I'll ask the dealer for the exact product they used. I think it was called "Gummi Pflege".

Last edited by pistol; 11-02-2016 at 02:52 PM.
NTAV (11-10-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:07 PM

The product brand was GLEITMO, but I couldn't get the specific name for what they used.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV

Good afternoon NTAV,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of your concerns.

Please do not hesitate to PM me with your vehicle and contact details in order for me to request that a member of the relevant market contacts you to discuss this further.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My impression of the 'fix' that I received recently on my F type R, with the 770 system was that the level of sound going to the doors was simply reduced and the center speaker increased. The F did not have a great issue with buzzing although I found a couple of music pieces that did create the issue, thus I asked for it to be fixed.

On my XE .. it has a lot of buzzing and the 'fix' they performed, from what I can determine, was mainly or entirely to reduce the sound level to the doors and thus increase the center ... this reduces the quality of the surround.

I advised the tech at the dealer of my concerns that a software fix was likely missing the issue that the speakers and enclosures actually do buzz and rattle, although I realize the frequency adjustment to individual speakers can certainly assist. He told me the most successful fixes he has done has been to glue the pins (not sure if these are just the speaker covers or the speaker install pins) and insulate any obvious areas that rattle and buzz. So, now I am sick and tired of taking the cars in so will wait until spring to either trade out, or give it another try.
Lawrence

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question