F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I originally started this thread almost a year ago... and what do you know, people are still complaining about something we all know is wrong with the cars.

Ryan - no service tech at Jaguar is going to be able to sit in a vehicle and say, 'yah, you're right, something is off'. Sound quality is subjective. Short of using an SPL meter (which doesn't measure sound quality), what is it that our reps will be able to do? You are hearing quite a few people complain about sound quality (for the money) and this is such a small sample size of those of us with F-types.

I had a TSB done on my top when I dropped my car off two weeks ago (for a faulty water pump). My car rattles twice as bad now... in the center console... it's so bad that I don't listen to my radio hardly ever. I know what part of the vehicle it is because I have to wedge my fingers in between the plastic molding and the carpet to get it to stop. That is fixable of course - but the sound quality is the main complaint we are all talking about here.

The solution that alexg posted above about NOT using Bluetooth and NOT using MP3 leaves a very select few ways of actually getting audio into your car. What, we are supposed to use a line out/in? We are supposed to download all our music at 192k and copy it to a USB drive?

Come on.

It's 2014. No one uses CDs. No one uses line ins. No one has hard copy music on their PCs recorded at only the highest quality. Well - I say no one. Sure, some do - but they are audio snobs and you couldn't make them happy anyways.

Point is.

I use Pandora, Soundcloud and Spotify... all of them are running at high quality and I stream them thru my bluetooth... that's how it should be. My XJ had sound quality issues as well streaming thru bluetooth. I hardly even use my BT handsfree because it has never been clear and I have a new Iphone.

It's just getting tiresome to see so many people complain about the same thing... because it isn't an ignition wire or air bag like other manufacturers, Jaguar has zero motivation to fix the problem because like I said - our complaints are subjective and don't affect safety or driveability...

...or am I just way off base?
@Ryan - Jaguar have known since October 2013 about the poor quality of installation. And despite numerous denials over the number of complaints, Jaguar continues to hide behind the dealers inserting foam and tape to hide the vibration and deliver a terrible experience. Its a disgrace and truly shocking for customer service teams to behave this way!!

All, Please do continue to raise your complaints with Jaguar's customer service team. They've received many. They even locked a similar thread on another site after 4 pages and over 2000 views (where they never exposed themselves as moderators or owners of the site.).

A Jaguar dealer had my car 4 times and never fixed it. Love my F-Type, but its my last JLR car ever.

Last edited by mawheele; 10-31-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I originally started this thread almost a year ago... and what do you know, people are still complaining about something we all know is wrong with the cars.

Ryan - no service tech at Jaguar is going to be able to sit in a vehicle and say, 'yah, you're right, something is off'. Sound quality is subjective. Short of using an SPL meter (which doesn't measure sound quality), what is it that our reps will be able to do? You are hearing quite a few people complain about sound quality (for the money) and this is such a small sample size of those of us with F-types.

I had a TSB done on my top when I dropped my car off two weeks ago (for a faulty water pump). My car rattles twice as bad now... in the center console... it's so bad that I don't listen to my radio hardly ever. I know what part of the vehicle it is because I have to wedge my fingers in between the plastic molding and the carpet to get it to stop. That is fixable of course - but the sound quality is the main complaint we are all talking about here.

The solution that alexg posted above about NOT using Bluetooth and NOT using MP3 leaves a very select few ways of actually getting audio into your car. What, we are supposed to use a line out/in? We are supposed to download all our music at 192k and copy it to a USB drive?

Come on.

It's 2014. No one uses CDs. No one uses line ins. No one has hard copy music on their PCs recorded at only the highest quality. Well - I say no one. Sure, some do - but they are audio snobs and you couldn't make them happy anyways.

Point is.

I use Pandora, Soundcloud and Spotify... all of them are running at high quality and I stream them thru my bluetooth... that's how it should be. My XJ had sound quality issues as well streaming thru bluetooth. I hardly even use my BT handsfree because it has never been clear and I have a new Iphone.

It's just getting tiresome to see so many people complain about the same thing... because it isn't an ignition wire or air bag like other manufacturers, Jaguar has zero motivation to fix the problem because like I said - our complaints are subjective and don't affect safety or driveability...

...or am I just way off base?
To be fair you are not. There are 2 issues going on here.

1. The poor installation of the Meridian system, loose parts, wires and the system has been poorly eq'd. (I can only speak for the vert).

2. Listening to compressed audio on high fidelity hi fi speakers and understanding the difference between that and uncompressed audio.

For issue 1 yes I agree with you the system could be better, but as far as a factory car system comes in a sports car its still one of the best I have experienced. (I have previously owned Ferrari & Aston Martin). The Eqing being bass heavy is very 'radio' focused and I'm surprised considering Meridian's reputation in the industry. I feel like it was rushed and a bit of an afterthought on the part of Jag/Meridian. The same system is in the modern RR's and I think they just ported it to the Jag with not enough research and testing. Having said that the system poses the same eq issues in my RR Evoque although there are no rattling issues in that car, just a rattle with the tailgate that has recently appeared!

For issue no.2, when you listen to compressed audio on hi fidelity speakers the highs will be dull and the lows will be distorted. You are generally listening to 1/10th of the information in the original recording. Without going into too much detail, mp3/m4a audio conversion uses a 'psychoacoustic' technique to try and represent the most sensitive frequencees to the human ear, while cutting away information around it.

Bluetooth data transfer also causes interference as the audio data must be digitally scrambled and then repurposed and its not a perfect science.

I am not suggesting you use cd's, nor am I suggesting you use the usb cable (although I do with a proclip - I will post picture soon), however it is very easy to find the music you love in an uncompressed format, you just have to look a little harder than opening itunes. Consider it the median of having to actually go to a record store, god forbid!

You the consumer must make a choice, convenience or quality. As an audio engineer who produces music for a living I am always going to choose quality, but I understand that music holds far greater value to me than the average person. I do however have to say that a car is really not an ideal listening environment, particularly with the F-Type engine noise! so if you are going to choose to listen to music in that environment you must consider that.
Hope this helps some and feel free to ask me questions on this subject.

Last edited by alexg; 10-31-2014 at 06:24 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by alexg:
enderle (11-01-2014), F-typical (11-02-2014), Foosh (11-02-2014), jmfan (10-31-2014), Kjamo (10-31-2014), peterquinones2 (06-25-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I also have a Maserati Ghibli and you see our "premium" radio. It costs $1500 and no German car would have it as a base radio. Big topic on Ghibli forum for a year, Maser isn't changing till late '15 and nothing for current owners. The 770w Meridian is better but I was expecting more, haven't had car long but have yet to find decent set up. Honestly the Harman Kardon surround in my traded SLK55 and last Audi Q7 S type Prestige was much better than both and didn't require fooling around with.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I also have a Maserati Ghibli and you see our "premium" radio. It costs $1500 and no German car would have it as a base radio. Big topic on Ghibli forum for a year, Maser isn't changing till late '15 and nothing for current owners. The 770w Meridian is better but I was expecting more, haven't had car long but have yet to find decent set up. Honestly the Harman Kardon surround in my traded SLK55 and last Audi Q7 S type Prestige was much better than both and didn't require fooling around with.
Totally agree. But to my mind, there are three issues here:
- The fact that the supplied system from Jaguar does not correspond with what we have all paid relative to those in other brands at the same price.
- The fact that there is a fundamental installation/design issue that either belongs with Jaguar or Meridian causing distortion and vibration even at relatively low levels across speech and music.
- The process by which Jaguar expects us to go to a dealership over repeated occasions (in my case 4) where the door gets pulled apart and tape and foam are deemed an adequate solution to cover over a design/engineering problem. By now, with the sheer volume of views and people speaking out, a TSB should have been issued and we should have received personal emails requesting we return our cars for newly designed installation parts.

And lastly what really irritates me are the people in the customer services team who carry the same culture and attitude of Jaguar in the 1970's that saw them go down the pan. They've hidden this problem from the powers that be for over 14 months!!

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Will not receive my car until mid to late December. Does anyone know if this issue has been corrected in the 2015 models?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
Will not receive my car until mid to late December. Does anyone know if this issue has been corrected in the 2015 models?
No it has not.

DuhCar (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub woofer rattle

Originally Posted by golfhero
Totally agree. I'm coming from an BW M6 convertible with their top of the line sound system and it sounded MUCH better in a convertible than the Meridian 770 sounds in a coupe! Love the car, performance, handling, looks, etc but pretty disappointed with the sound system. Mine rattles and distorts on factory settings (when loud) which should not happen.

As a tech guy the no BT streaming while your iPod is plugged in is simply bad design. No other excuse. I use a 160GB iPod Classic which I leave plugged in full time. Now when I want to steam via BT I have to open up the middle compartment and unplug my iPod. Makes no sense. Hopefully a firmware upgrade from Jaguar will fix this down the road as applications from the phone can still use the sound system (for example Waze issuing traffic alerts) while the iPod is playing so not a h/w design limitation.

Hope we get a dealer fix for the rattling speaker issue...

At least if these are our biggest problems life isn't too bad...
I've been shopping for an f type r coupe. Part of that is trying the stereo with different types of music and connection types. I've found the stereo sounds best (at least for my music type) in the dts mode. However there is annoying vibration from the rear enter area. Turning down the bass reduces it, but hey, this car is over 100k!
After some experimenting at the dealer, I found if you stick your finger behind the the center plastic area (small gap there) the vibration goes away. Sticking a section of foam there had the same fix. This results in no vibration at all. Makes me happy enough to probably make me by one. Good luck all!

Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Apologies for typos. Bottle of wine....

Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

More exactly, where did you put the foam?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Have same experience with Maserati, tape, foam, etc. But no real change in parts and at this point none of us expect it. But they were selling 2000 cars a year before. Expect better from established Jag even with new ownership. When Ford owned we bought new LR LR3HSE, they had tested for 2mil. miles. Went back as lemon for a new one after 10 months. Dealer saved us and got another sale. Jag customer service may be a problem like Maserati but the local dealer can make a huge difference. I was hoping for better from the "new" JLR.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Default foam stuffing

Originally Posted by bjg625
More exactly, where did you put the foam?
Location. Refer to picture below:
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/568704/2015-jaguar-f-type-r-coupe-interior-photo-568874-s-1280x782.jpg

Center rear there is a cubby hole, below that is another section of plastic. Place your finger behind that at the side and you feel a gap between that and the carpet. Now play some bass heavy music and you'll feel that plastic section causing buzzing/vibration. Placing foam where your finger is does the trick.

Is anyone experiencing vibration in the doors also? Didn't hear in the one I tested....

Old 11-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has gotten a fix on the vibration from the dealer? My car is horrible with vibrations with any music I play. I use a USB cable and play Pandora through the system and it is constant buzzing and rattles. Did anyone get positive results from a dealer visit? Foam, tape? anything working?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
To be fair you are not. There are 2 issues going on here.

1. The poor installation of the Meridian system, loose parts, wires and the system has been poorly eq'd. (I can only speak for the vert).

2. Listening to compressed audio on high fidelity hi fi speakers and understanding the difference between that and uncompressed audio.

For issue 1 yes I agree with you the system could be better, but as far as a factory car system comes in a sports car its still one of the best I have experienced. (I have previously owned Ferrari & Aston Martin). The Eqing being bass heavy is very 'radio' focused and I'm surprised considering Meridian's reputation in the industry. I feel like it was rushed and a bit of an afterthought on the part of Jag/Meridian. The same system is in the modern RR's and I think they just ported it to the Jag with not enough research and testing. Having said that the system poses the same eq issues in my RR Evoque although there are no rattling issues in that car, just a rattle with the tailgate that has recently appeared!

For issue no.2, when you listen to compressed audio on hi fidelity speakers the highs will be dull and the lows will be distorted. You are generally listening to 1/10th of the information in the original recording. Without going into too much detail, mp3/m4a audio conversion uses a 'psychoacoustic' technique to try and represent the most sensitive frequencees to the human ear, while cutting away information around it.

Bluetooth data transfer also causes interference as the audio data must be digitally scrambled and then repurposed and its not a perfect science.

I am not suggesting you use cd's, nor am I suggesting you use the usb cable (although I do with a proclip - I will post picture soon), however it is very easy to find the music you love in an uncompressed format, you just have to look a little harder than opening itunes. Consider it the median of having to actually go to a record store, god forbid!

You the consumer must make a choice, convenience or quality. As an audio engineer who produces music for a living I am always going to choose quality, but I understand that music holds far greater value to me than the average person. I do however have to say that a car is really not an ideal listening environment, particularly with the F-Type engine noise! so if you are going to choose to listen to music in that environment you must consider that.
Hope this helps some and feel free to ask me questions on this subject.
Alex - you are 100% the audio snob I was referring to... in the nicest way possible.

For me to download and pay for each individual song I have on my Spotify playlist would cost me thousands of dollars. I pay Spotify instead to get access to a huge catalog of music, from Miles Davis to Armin Van Buuren to Florida Georgia Line. It would be cost prohibitive for me to download and pay for every song I listen to from iTunes. I pay Spotify, Spotify licenses it from them - ergo, I am not pirating or listening to music illegally.

Back in the Napster/Kazaa days, it was easy to download whatever you wanted, but for the most part, those days are gone (even if they weren't, I wouldn't torrent anything anyways).

I have had Bluetooth issues in all three new model Jags that I have owned. From the audio cutting out, to it sounding distorted, to not being able to have my phone in my lap for it to stream right...

...those shouldn't be issues.

And to the poster above that talked about taking your fingers and placing them in between the carpet and the plastic molding behind the cubby - that's EXACTLY where new vibrations are coming from since my TSB top fix. Regardless of that, the bass is distorted at almost any level. Having to turn it down shouldn't be required for quality sound.

What adds insult to injury is my wifes 13' Bettle Vert with the Fender system that was $400... it sounds ten times better than the Meridian system in my Jag - which is ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Alex - you are 100% the audio snob I was referring to... in the nicest way possible.

For me to download and pay for each individual song I have on my Spotify playlist would cost me thousands of dollars. I pay Spotify instead to get access to a huge catalog of music, from Miles Davis to Armin Van Buuren to Florida Georgia Line. It would be cost prohibitive for me to download and pay for every song I listen to from iTunes. I pay Spotify, Spotify licenses it from them - ergo, I am not pirating or listening to music illegally.

Back in the Napster/Kazaa days, it was easy to download whatever you wanted, but for the most part, those days are gone (even if they weren't, I wouldn't torrent anything anyways).

I have had Bluetooth issues in all three new model Jags that I have owned. From the audio cutting out, to it sounding distorted, to not being able to have my phone in my lap for it to stream right...

...those shouldn't be issues.

And to the poster above that talked about taking your fingers and placing them in between the carpet and the plastic molding behind the cubby - that's EXACTLY where new vibrations are coming from since my TSB top fix. Regardless of that, the bass is distorted at almost any level. Having to turn it down shouldn't be required for quality sound.

What adds insult to injury is my wifes 13' Bettle Vert with the Fender system that was $400... it sounds ten times better than the Meridian system in my Jag - which is ridiculous.
What can I say, you get what you pay for. Pay $1 for a piece of audio, expect it to sound inferior to a $3 wav file or indeed a $15 vinyl (Spotify is compressed).

How you value music and I value it are polar opposites. I'd rather have 5 albums that I love and buy them in an uncompressed format, than have 10,000 songs on my ipod. This is pointless to me but I don't judge!

There are problems with the installation of the Meridian system. Try eq'ing it like I did and keep it on Meridian setting. I posted a picture earlier in this thread. That eliminated the bass distortion for me in my V8 S Vert. Regarding the area that is vibrating for you Coupe guys, some insulating foam is a quick fix but I think we are all in agreement that Jag could've done better here.

Lastly, if you must use compressed audio on your expensive car hi-fi, I can recommend playing music with a large dynamic range (Miles Davis), rather than music that has been brickwall limited (Armin Van Burren). It will be far more pleasing to your ears in this type of listening environment and less tiring.

F-typical (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Alex, given your profession (and your home music system), how does a digital studio master compare to a retail analogue recording?

Linn will happily sell me records or studio masters, but based on my understanding of human hearing, I'm unlikely to notice a difference...

Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi mawheele

I have PM'd you regarding your concern.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan

Old 11-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

For those interested, the Deezer service is becoming available in the US (it certainly is for Sonos users) and it offers lossless FLAC audio streaming (plus you can sync the lossless audio to your device). Spotify and Rdio also offer higher quality streaming with Rdio just upgrading its quality a month or two back. I use all three services and they're all pretty good.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Ryan@jaguar, one thing you may be able to help with.

I have the standard US system. I've raised the question here before, but there is next to no audio coming out of the speakers behind the seats. If you fade the audio all the way back to the rear, there's very, very little volume. It sounds like the audio is coming from a phone, and not a very good one at that. Do you know if this is normal/as designed? It certainly doesn't sound like it is. Would appreciate any input.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi swajames

I have PM'd you regarding your query.

Regards

Ryan

Old 11-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

@Ryan - I started this thread and have contributed to it for a year...

...I don't get any love? I have all the same issues they do:

Rattling
Next to no audio from the subs
Distortion from door speakers
Distortion from BT using handsfree

I'm with swjames - the amount of audio coming out of the 'subs' behind the seat is ridiculously minimal.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question