Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Hi there - I won't share the specifics of my PM with Ryan but the premise of the email says they've not had enough declared incidents for this to have turned into a TSB. Despite this being the most trafficked thread on every F-Type Forum over the past 14 months across the web by a mile, this issue seems to have missed their 'official' notice.

As a result, and despite the fact that they have had my car for nearly 4 weeks in the shop, scuffed the plates and plastics around the door they keep asking me to allow them to investigate it a 5th time to stuff in more tape and foam. My response is for them to go and investigate on their own cars - mine is not a free of charge engineering prototype. And so we seem to end there...
So sorry you are going through this brother.

I will tell you, and not to rub it in, that when I bought my 2013 XKR-S I was so so so impressed that the speakers showed NO RATTLE ....and I mean anywhere... unlike my nissan cars where there is always a rattle and that's just the way it is. I so fell in love with the throaty engine on startup (I actually think the RS is not THAT loud when driving...just startup!), the quiet cabin, and the stiff but yet not too stiff ride that I bought a second used XKR as a daily beater for half the price. AGAIN... solid without any speaker rattle. Impression taken from such a simple thing: Jaguar builds SOLID CARS.

You dont buy a car that costs as much as a house in the midwest and think its OK to have anything wrong with it... nissan's are much cheaper cars then our higher priced Jag's. We expect the best. Your concern is righteous as it effects your experience and that is what owning a Jag is all about - see exhaust note .

What is my point here.... I cant remember. OH... This may be a F-Type problem but be aware they have made non-rattle speaker cars in the past!! Its not a quality issue, maybe more a design issue with the door and this speaker system/maker. They will need to FIND A CORRECTION and then TSB IT to the satisfaction of all parties involved or they will lose customers... I dont think they want that!

Currently satisfied but yet concerned about your F-Type jaguar owner,
Loth

Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi

As previously outlined on this thread, to investigate any instance of audio concern on a specific vehicle we would need to investigate each affected vehicle directly to confirm the nature of the concern.

As advised, should you be experiencing a concern, please visit your local Jaguar retailer and PM me with your details should you require any further assistance.

Thank you

Ryan
I don't even have my car yet, but I can certainly attest that I don't look forward to dealing with this issue when it arrives in two weeks.

Ryan, from a sheer Customer Service perspective, it is absolutely absurd that the only means for escalating a problem is via the dealer network. If you can't assess the magnitude of the complaints from the avid Jaguar Owners that populate these and other forums - given the well documented history of this particular issue - then why do you even bother to troll these forums? Why does your position, whatever it is, even exist?

Let me surmise, you are here to attempt to mitigate a growing furor, and deflect unhappy owners back to the dealer, before their dissatisfaction becomes a PR nightmare for JLR. I have news for you: That form of "reactive" customer service, mired in too many levels of corporate bureaucracy will backfire.

Instead of Jaguar Engineering hiding behind the corporate firewall, and only taking customer concerns through a pin hole, the eyes and ears of the engineering folks should be more readily accessible, from all angles, and to all levels of the company. Though I suppose one way to maintain the appearance of a rising quality assurance rating with JD Powers and the like, is to muzzle the volume of complaints.

I can assure you that for every one complaint you see here, there are dozens more silently disgruntled owners that simply don't know where to turn!!! or who might have even complained to the dealer, only to get brushed off by the service dept. without a quality concern ever being reported to Jaguar Engineering.

The Customer Service Experience of JLR, as I have seen represented in these forums over the last four months, and as I have experienced first hand in some preliminary dealings with Jaguar USA Customer Relations team, is so sufficiently disgusting, that I am having second thoughts about going thru with the deal when my car arrives later this month.

Jaguar clearly needs a few lessons in how to build brand loyalty!

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (11-14-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Having another bad day?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

i had a 2009 xkr portfolio for 5.5 years. awesome car and amazing product quality. I just picked up a 2015 Coupe R. Amazing car but also experiencing same audio issues. Will bring to the dealer, but definately a jaguar build/engineering challenge. Thanks to all for sharing!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ldhansenjr
i had a 2009 xkr portfolio for 5.5 years. awesome car and amazing product quality. I just picked up a 2015 Coupe R. Amazing car but also experiencing same audio issues. Will bring to the dealer, but definately a jaguar build/engineering challenge. Thanks to all for sharing!
We have F-Type R owners threatening not to pick up there cars!! EEEK!!!

At the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would suggest....

DON'T PANIC!!!

Jaguar will make it right... they have made everything right by me and that is a fact...

Go to the dealer and voice your complaint. Then do it again, again, again till its fixed or your satisfied. Personally when I get my F-Type I am getting the cheapo stereo and just rolling the window down to listen to that V6 scream!! .

That is correct... I have 2 V8's that roar... time for a scream or two

Loth

Old 11-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my cat screaming, and I couldn't care a friggin thing about the sound system, it is good for waze before I lose my DL. ;-)

Lothar52 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jns2001
i love my cat screaming, and i couldn't care a friggin thing about the sound system, it is good for waze before i lose my dl. ;-)
lol

Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52

Jaguar will make it right... they have made everything right by me and that is a fact...

Go to the dealer and voice your complaint. Then do it again, again, again till its fixed or your satisfied. Personally when I get my F-Type I am getting the cheapo stereo and just rolling the window down to listen to that V6 scream!! .

Loth
Dealers cannot fix this properly. It needs newly designed mountings. After 14 months, are you really convinced they will put it right?

I agree with you on the sound track from the exhaust. But the sound that comes from Coventry (customer services) is quieter than a Tesla. My challenge to Ryan was simple and takes only 2 mins: walk across the car park and test one of their own vehicles. Nada.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

It seems to me that the point made by Ryan at JLR was valid. No manufacturer can track down a root cause without receiving a significant number of reports of the same thing. The only way they can obtain those data is by having owners take their cars to a dealership, so that the commonality of the problem can be documented and reported back.

They cannot rely on notoriously unreliable reports from an internet forum. Ryan said that they don't have enough data to draw any conclusions. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it might just mean that not enough people have found it bothersome enough to merit a dealer visit.

Even if you are convinced that a dealer probably won't be able to fix the problem, based upon the internet reports you've read, if you want it addressed by JLR you have to have it confirmed in a visit and reported to JLR. If you don't want a dealer to remove door panels and add foam, just tell the dealer you don't want that, you just want it reported to JLR.

I know this is primarily about the premium system, but FWIW, I don't have any issues with the base system, and I'm also in the crowd that doesn't care about listening to music while driving the car. When I do, it sounds pretty good to me. However, I almost never do because I too prefer the exhaust soundtrack.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

You can add me to the list of folks experiencing the speaker rattle issue with the 770 Watt system. Honestly it's so bad that I just turn the sound system off. Not too much of a hardship with the engine soundtrack playing from my R, but still poor form in a $100k plus car

The following 2 users liked this post by mm767cap:
aluc4rd (05-25-2015), mawheele (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

As I said above, you don't get on a "JLR list" by reporting it here. It has to be documented by an authorized dealer and reported to JLR.

Every other manufacturer operates the same way, and none use the internet to compile a list of issues that need trouble-shooting.

DuhCar (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm taking my car in Monday... we will start there.

JimC64 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I'm taking my car in Monday... we will start there.
Great. I recommend that you write something similar to below to hand to the dealer service rep:

1) There are numerous reports of problems on the F-Type forums

2) Previous dealer attempts to address this problem by using foam padding, etc. have not worked according to the info I've read, and if that is your proposed solution, I do not want you to try that approach (or alternatively maybe you do).

3) A JLR rep told all the members reporting the problem that JLR needed more data on this problem before they could begin a formal inquiry.

4) JLR asked members to return their cars to the dealer to document the problem.

5) I'm asking that you formally document the issue and report to it to JLR per the factory reps request.

Just some thoughts. I've found it more effective to write this stuff down and hand to a service rep. It shows you've done your research, and they are likely to take you more seriously.

JimC64 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM

I actually got a call from a JNA person a few days ago regarding this thread...

...the GM at my dealer is cool as hell and reached out to me about it. So they're well aware of my thoughts and this thread.

I dont know if I am the first to take it in, but I'll def report back what they find or think is wrong.

I'll say it again, the sound quality is subjective. So what I think sounds like crap, might sound like Mozart to someone else. Dont know what they can do to appease someone that just doesn't like the quality of the speakers.

JimC64 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

I think that is the essence of the problem and reason JLR can't find evidence of a problem. I've been on the car forums of at least 8 different manufacturers over the last decade or so (Audi, BMW, Corvette, Cadillac, Chrysler, Ford, Mini, and Nissan), and every single one of them contains a thread like this complaining about the quality of the premium sound system.

It is very subjective, and many people think they are good, "audiophiles" always hate, them, and there are those in between.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm with you on the sound quality - subjective - but vibrating trim is either an assembly fault or a design flaw.

Your earlier point about educating the dealer is a good one.

aluc4rd (05-25-2015)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Subjective or not... when I ride in my wifes Bettle with the Fender system and it quads out with zero distortion... I'd say something was amiss. Volume up in her car with top down and it sounds fantastic.

Volume up with top down in the F, it sounds like ****. Period. I'll personally pay to fly a Jaguar rep to my house, put her car next to mine and see what sounds better and then ask him when hooked up to a lie detector what he thinks sounds better.

Ignore all of that...

...put your phone in your lap, on the seat, streaming bluetooth... ''close your legs'' and see if your BT cuts out. Mine does every time. Iphone 5S, no reason not to... I have to keep my phone in my cup holder when listening to music. (Not sure if I even brought that up previously).

Anyone else have that problem?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
I'm with you on the sound quality - subjective - but vibrating trim is either an assembly fault or a design flaw.

Your earlier point about educating the dealer is a good one.
True, but I don't have vibrating trim no matter how loud I turn it up, which sounds more like poor quality control in assembly.

I actually listened to music very loud on my evening commute for the first time in a long time. Turned it up until I thought my head would split open without any vibrations. It sounded good once I lowered it until my head was no longer hurting.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
True, but I don't have vibrating trim no matter how loud I turn it up, which sounds more like poor quality control in assembly.

I actually listened to music very loud on my evening commute for the first time in a long time. Turned it up until I thought my head would split open without any vibrations. It sounded good once I lowered it until my head was no longer hurting.

I'm really pleased your car is Ok. But yours is a rarity. Every F I have been in has the same problem; vibrating left door trim.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
As I said above, you don't get on a "JLR list" by reporting it here. It has to be documented by an authorized dealer and reported to JLR.

Every other manufacturer operates the same way, and none use the internet to compile a list of issues that need trouble-shooting.
I understand that. It was just a figure of speech

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question