F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old V8s - what maintenance services are needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 9 year old V8s - what maintenance services are needed?

My 2015 has a build date of November 2014 and has 12,000+/- miles on it. I've done nothing to the car other than change the oil annually, replaced the battery, and replaced the tires.
As of now, still no coolant leaks.

Let me know if you agree with my planned maintenance:
1. Replace supercharger belt
2. Replace accessory drive belt
3. Brake fluid flush
4. Differential Service
5. Transmission fluid/filter service
6. Replace spark plugs.
I'll give it another year for the coolant flush (maintenance schedule says 10-yrs) and replace the coolant pipes and water pump at that time. Is it overkill to replace the spark plugs with only 12k miles?

Old 09-22-2023, 01:39 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Of those, to me the no brainer is the brake flush...that is every 2y maybe 3 for me (I use Castrol SRF, but that is based on my obsession with never having brakes ever fade....it goes a long way toward that goal...).

I'd inspect the belts and defer to others as I don't have a clue on time issues.

On plugs and injectors, probably fine but I put BG44k in my car every few months and to me that helps "clean" things/prevent issues.

Not sure on injector seizure issues on such a low mileage car....defer to others.

Brake fluid is the only red light going off of the list for me.....

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-23-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:30 AM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Interested in this also as I too have a low mile '15 R, always stored in a dark, controlled environment. Given the propensities of DOT 4 I have flushed the brakes every couple years, and know I have to do the cooling system soon, (would love to find a comprehensive how-to on this), but have always considered trans and diff fluid service intervals to be more dependent on mileage and severity of use than on time. Same with belts to a degree, and I still cannot wrap my head around a time-out on spark plugs. Have the bean counters managed to substitute plastic for metal and ceramic? I hope more technically knowlegable listers respond. I am very happy to see this forum showing more practical repair and maintenance oriented posts in addition to stuff about infotainment. IMO, car play is what one does on a curvy road.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:09 AM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
I still cannot wrap my head around a time-out on spark plugs.
With today's modern spark plugs, the time recommendation on changing them is not about degradation of performance at all. It's actually about getting them out before they permanently fuse themselves to the block. Modern plugs can easily go 100K miles (sometimes lifetime of the vehicle depending on usage) and with all of those heat/cool cycles over the years, combined with any type of corrosion (condensation from the heat/cool cycles--especially if there are many short trips where the engine doesn't fully get up to temp), the plug threads can fuse themselves to the block threads. In theory, you could remove/inspect/reinstall them every 25K miles to avoid this issue, but it's just as easy to change them once at 100K and never do it again unless you plan on keeping a vehicle over 200K miles.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 12:35 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
With today's modern spark plugs, the time recommendation on changing them is not about degradation of performance at all. It's actually about getting them out before they permanently fuse themselves to the block. Modern plugs can easily go 100K miles (sometimes lifetime of the vehicle depending on usage) and with all of those heat/cool cycles over the years, combined with any type of corrosion (condensation from the heat/cool cycles--especially if there are many short trips where the engine doesn't fully get up to temp), the plug threads can fuse themselves to the block threads. In theory, you could remove/inspect/reinstall them every 25K miles to avoid this issue, but it's just as easy to change them once at 100K and never do it again unless you plan on keeping a vehicle over 200K miles.

This makes a lot of sense.

Had my plugs out at 50k. No issues and the mechanic noted that they looked really like new....I had the new NGK's in hand so I said to him to just install the new ones...but had they been put back in no harm would have been done at all. The stock plugs are very good plugs.

Jaguar sort of did a lot of subtle things really well. Braided brake lines oem....etc. These cars pack a quiet excellence that is rare.

Grumpy_Cat (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Just a note on changing plugs?
I always do it on a warm to hot engine just to make it a bit easier and hopefully to keep them from seizing in place.

Good list but at that age have you changed the battery?
I ask because my 2014 XJR is still on the factory battery after 10+ years! I have a new one on the bench so it will be changed soon and I still do not have a single electrical problem!

When you do the cooling system I hope you use the nice after market Aluminum ones? They are a nice upgrade and they solve what is probably the worst problem on these engines too!

Old 09-24-2023, 11:03 AM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Great point on thread fusion, I have had to deal with this in other applications on other vehicles... not fun and resulted in breakage. When reinstalling plugs (and lug nuts, and etc.) I always use anti-seize, but doubt the factory did new. So now when I get around to doing the coolant change, I add metal replacement crossover pipes, plug swap, and a new s/c coupler since it is out anyway to replace those craptastic plastic lines underneath. Mission creep at it's finest.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

The spark plugs are always noted to NOT use anti-seize but old habits die hard and I confess to still putting just a drop of anti-seize on spark plugs!
Hard to thread steel plugs into Aluminum heads without thinking these will never come back out without some help.

Carbuff2 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 06:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the rear diff fliud changed at around 18K miles on my former 2015 R. The fluid was blacker than night. Would recommend earlier intervals than what Jaguar states.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:48 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
I had the rear diff fliud changed at around 18K miles on my former 2015 R. The fluid was blacker than night. Would recommend earlier intervals than what Jaguar states.
Color does NOT denote fluid condition, but I always say do what makes you feel comfortable. I had a Volvo T5R I took to almost 400k miles. Changed the tranny fluid twice and oil every 7k miles (turbos), brake fluid every 3 years and only replaced a fuel pump and radiator, knew another t5r owner who had a low mileage one and had a ton more problems and replaced everything a lot more often than me. Do what you feel is best and not worry about what other people do, EVERY car is different, what works for one car, may not work for a different car that is the same model and mileage.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Just a note as I also changed the fluid in my E-Diff and it was pitch black. The clutches in the E-Diff are carbon or carbon fiber based. So all the wear particles are black and even brand new fluid will be jet black in a short time.

Hey at least Jaguar put in BOTH a drain plug and a fill plug so that is a big win for us that do fluid changes!
Now why they made both plugs with different size heads is another question all together!