F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy one - 340 vs 380 hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy one - 340 vs 380 hp

I have my eyes on a 2018 F-TYPE Coupe with the 340hp engine. It is out of state (too far to see) but the sales guy has been great and sending me pictures/video of everything I've asked for. I've never owned a Jag nor driven/ridden in the F-TYPE. Until yesterday - I found a local 2017 Coupe with the 380hp engine and test drove it. It's effing awesome and I'm pretty much sold on the vehicle. The 2017/2018 model year differences seem few so I think I got a good idea what to expect. But the engine had 40 more hp and the car was extremely responsive and take off was amazing. For those of you that have driven both engine models - will the 340hp still make me say "this car is effing awesome"? Obviously a little less power but still enough to make it feel special?

And if there's any other tips that I should be asking about before purchasing - feel free! I don't know Jags at all as I'm coming from a Porsche Boxster.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

whatever you decide to do, don't drive the v8. you'll be setting yourself up for one hell of a quandary.

i apologize in advance for being completely unhelpful

The following 3 users liked this post by ferrral:
axr6 (08-23-2020), JacksonvilleJag (08-22-2020), scm (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

There is a fair difference between them, but it is more noticeable over (your) 50mph. If you are open to modding, the tunes will raise the power levels of either to the same level - 400hp by tune alone, 450hp with pulley. 400hp is very good, 450hp is wicked. I'd say the car will feel special as is. I've driven the 340hp in the XE a fair bit and it is a nice engine, delivers about the same as the 5 litre v8 NA used to. I have also driven it in the F Type and thought it was great.

Usually the trim in the S is a bit better, also it has bigger brakes and wheels standard, and the loud button for the exhaust (essential) and adaptive suspension (in my opinion essential but I am a *****). I think the base by 2018 had the loud button standard at least.

Locally there is an over-representation of base models in the near new cars for sale, especially on 20's. I tend to think that was likely to be for the overly hard ride in the base, which is a lot firmer in its one mode than the S is in its standard mode (which in the S can be dialled up to a quite hard mode in dynamic). But I would add just to make it more confusing that wheel and tyre choice have a lot to do with that and also how soft your seats have gotten, I drive my car in dynamic (hard mode) on forged 21s with michelin rubber and the ride is very good - much better than it had been with the OEM 19's and P Zeros.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

There are other differences depending on the build for the base model. I would recommend getting a full options list between both of them to really compare. With the V6 and the V6S, there are ECU tuning options that can easily give you more power.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I would buy S model just for the suspension and LSD. LSD is a must in my world, if you drive "sporty" or want to drift the cat.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy the S. More power. Better suspension. Limited Slip Diff. Look out for options such as 12 way adjustable sports seats and 20 inch rims. Reverse camera. Moon roof also nice if a coupe. Most sensible version of an impractical car

Old 08-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So apparently the vehicle I drove yesterday was not the 380hp...it did not have the S badge. So that makes me even more confident with my decision to purchase the car out of state - I just told the guy I'm buying it!

Happy Friday to me!

Old 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

congratulations!

Old 08-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by katfan20
So apparently the vehicle I drove yesterday was not the 380hp...it did not have the S badge. So that makes me even more confident with my decision to purchase the car out of state - I just told the guy I'm buying it!

Happy Friday to me!
*echoing, sinister voice*

“buy it, buy it, buy it

tune it, tune it, tune it

pulley, pulley, pulley “

Old 08-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats if you get the 340! if not I've driven the Base 340 engine in the XE and it feels super potent in that, I've driven it in in a rwd coupe f-type, and it actually felt as quick as my car in a straight line on a short drive, and only up to about 65 mph, Granted that makes sense since my S is an AWD convertible with every option so it's about as heavy as it gets. For me, the exhaust button is a must, It really opens the car up and makes it sound like it should, in the Vert at least, in the coupe it's a little on the quiet side, even with it, I would consider a VAP exhaust, but it's still amazing stock.

Florida is really flat, no corners really or windy roads, so I don't think I take advantage of the LSD, But again AWD, so it doesn't make much of a difference off the line. But like others have said, The S generally comes better equipped and with the bigger brakes, that is extremely important to me, and makes a huge difference, in the XE 35t I drove the brakes were absolutely garbage, dangerous for the power. The base car didn't feel that amazing either, But I don't remember all that well. But I have the largest brakes that can fit on a F-type outside of the Carbon Ceramics, or SVR's, and I also have the upgraded Porterfield pads, and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's which are a big upgrade over stock. If possible, get the S, if not, the 340 is still an amazing car and I'd be happy with either.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Not the engine as much as LSD and active suspension, in '14 the proformance package with bigger brake was only on the larger engine. I assume this continued.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
For me, the exhaust button is a must, It really opens the car up and makes it sound like it should,...
I don't get the obsession with the switch - if you have the active exhaust just select dynamic mode and you'll get all the noise. The only reason I can see for the switch is to make dynamic mode quieter (yes I know you can use it in non-dynamic mode but it doesn't give as much noise as dynamic mode). AIUI, switching the exhaust on in non-dynamic mode only opens the valves about 1500 rpm, whereas in dynamic the valves are open all the time.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I don't get the obsession with the switch - if you have the active exhaust just select dynamic mode and you'll get all the noise. The only reason I can see for the switch is to make dynamic mode quieter (yes I know you can use it in non-dynamic mode but it doesn't give as much noise as dynamic mode). AIUI, switching the exhaust on in non-dynamic mode only opens the valves about 1500 rpm, whereas in dynamic the valves are open all the time.
So from what I've experienced in person that on the base V6 I drove that had the active exhaust, but not the switchable active, even when in dynamic the valves were not open nearly as much as my car with the button on in dynamic. Like on light throttle or decel you could hear the valves close. I've heard this from a couple of other people that this is the way it works as well, even if in dynamic, that's why with the button you have full control. well technically, even in normal mode with the button off, if you go past 4500 RPM no matter what, valves are gonna open. but my switchable system system is def a bit a louder then the regular active exhaust. that's why some people without the button pull fuse 43, so it will be open 100%.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:53 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Maybe the V6 operation differs from that of the V8 then - I've never had the experience you describe. In dynamic the valves are open all the time, and out of dynamic with the switch active it's way quiter at tickover. And my valves open around 3,500, so I presume your 4,500 is a typo?

Old 08-23-2020, 05:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I think they start opening around 3000-3500. My experience is what ST describes - valves are closed while cruising at a constant speed, and when I put my foot down, I may hit the next gear before they open all the way (this is in dynamic). With F43 pulled, it’s much louder starting from a standstill and at low revs. I don’t have switchable active exhaust.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:58 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I think they start opening around 3000-3500. My experience is what ST describes - valves are closed while cruising at a constant speed, and when I put my foot down, I may hit the next gear before they open all the way (this is in dynamic). With F43 pulled, it’s much louder starting from a standstill and at low revs. I don’t have switchable active exhaust.
Ditto this. My 2018 base 340 has been modified by me to block the vacuum lines controlling the exhaust gates--very easy to do with a couple lengths of vacuum hose and something to plug them.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Maybe the V6 operation differs from that of the V8 then - I've never had the experience you describe. In dynamic the valves are open all the time, and out of dynamic with the switch active it's way quiter at tickover. And my valves open around 3,500, so I presume your 4,500 is a typo?
My valves open closer to 4000 rpm. I have an MT with the short gearing, so they’re open all the time except when steady cruising.(even with the switch turned off)

Old 08-26-2020, 11:50 PM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's what I understand from the active exhaust:

Dynamic Mode: Always open
Active Exhaust Button: Open at 1500rpm
Otherwise: Open at 4000rpm

What does pulling F43 achieve?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Here's what I understand from the active exhaust:

Dynamic Mode: Always open
Active Exhaust Button: Open at 1500rpm
Otherwise: Open at 4000rpm

What does pulling F43 achieve?
Always open.
I tried it for a couple of months but I found I preferred the ability to switch it back to closed, even when in Dynamic (and I always drive in Dynamic).
When going up a steepish hill I find it drones a bit when open.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

No, valves only open under load in dynamic. Without switchable active exhaust, only way to have the, open 100% of the time is pull F43 (MY14-15).

With F43 out, car drones at highway speeds and roof up. Much louder initially when punching it.

Quick Reply: About to buy one - 340 vs 380 hp