F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Ink the Deal: 2015 Coupe R

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default About to Ink the Deal: 2015 Coupe R

So it looks like we have finally agreed upon a deal I've been working on since New Year's Day! Some of you may have remembered my previous Threads regarding the wonderful exhaust and me coming from an M4...

Anyway, just curious what else I should be on the lookout for regarding early build 2015 coupe Rs? I have searched and read about the fuel filler line and the speakers, but what else should I have completed (TSB, open campaigns) prior to delivery? Car has 1300 miles and 1yr into the warranty. I would be new to Jag, I'm a diehard Bimmer Fanboy, and just nervous about Jag's infamous reliability--not like my BMWs have been free of problems

Old 01-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Jag's infamous reliability that hasn't been an issue for the last decade you mean.

For a first year, new model the F-Type has been quite reliable with very few quality issues that needed ironing out.

That R hasn't even been past the break in period at 1300 miles. I'd make sure that the first service has been done.

A couple people had issue with panels rubbing paint off, so give those a good look over. Speakers are subjective. Some claim issues, others don't. I believe if you are hearing rattles at moderate volume then you can get additional sound proofing added. Same goes with the fuel filler, which is mostly a California issue.

Otherwise, buy it, drive it, love it.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Purchased the R coupe back in May 2014, one of the first batch to roll out. Reliability solid--well above the majority of the other 40+ autos I've owned (including a few BMW's and ///M gear to match--they weren't exactly issue-free, heh). For my R, only had an improperly installed USB-Aux port connector, parcel shelf adjustment (TSB), and seat belt tensioner system connector (TSB). Expect to be pleased. Jaguar of today is not Jaguar of yesteryear.

I imagine your dealer-to-be would have all the TSB's (open/fixed) for your vehicle, right?

Last edited by deltagroup; 01-21-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: "...buy it, drive it, love it." Good one, LynxFx
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Purchased the R coupe back in May 2014, one of the first batch to roll out. Reliability solid--well above the majority of the other 40+ autos I've owned (including a few BMW's and ///M gear to match--they weren't exactly issue-free, heh). For my R, only had an improperly installed USB-Aux port connector, parcel shelf adjustment (TSB), and seat belt tensioner system connector (TSB). Expect to be pleased. Jaguar of today is not Jaguar of yesteryear.

I imagine your dealer-to-be would have all the TSB's (open/fixed) for your vehicle, right?
Ditto here. Zero warranty visits or complaints in 2 years on my first-year MY '14. I can only say that about 1 of the 8 BMWs I've owned.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
A couple people had issue with panels rubbing paint off, so give those a good look over.

Otherwise, buy it, drive it, love it.
What's this issue with panels rubbing paint off, where?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
Check the horizontal seams that are immediately behind the doors. There has been some issues with some paint flaking off. It usually starts in those seams. I'm pretty sure it is a TSB.

Congratulations!!! You're going to have lots of fun!!

Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It was a rare issue and not a big deal. The painted plastic rocker panel was found to be rubbing causing minor chipping on the edge where it met the edge of the lower rear fender on a few early 14 and a few 15 cars. There was a TSB that involved putting insulation on the rear side of the rocker, which resolved the issue. The few affected cars were spot repainted under warranty.

It never occurred on the vast majority of even the early cars, and the problem was long ago resolved for newer production cars. It has not occurred on my very early 14.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys.
These impending blizzard conditions are hindering the process.

BTW, does this forum have a mobile app?

Old 01-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks guys.
These impending blizzard conditions are hindering the process.

I'll let the Mods correct me but I don't know of an App but the mobile version of the website is pretty good and fairly easy to use.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:23 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, you can use the Garage Talk app. It's not made specifically for this forum, but it supports the Jaguar Forums. GT isn't the greatest forum app, but it works pretty well.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Since there are so many positive reviews here, I'll balance it out with a negative.
Build quality is not great. I've had many 'minor' issues, and other members have as well. I'm not a corner case, jag just doesn't put enough effort into quality assurance.
Still a great car though, with a long warranty, than you can extend to seven years for a couple grand, and it's better priced than its competition.