F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to join the family, but have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default About to join the family, but have questions.

Hey guys, i just signed up to the board. I have never owned a Jaguar but my mom and dad are major fans and have had multiple in the past.

I fell in love with the F-Type V6s when it came out, and now I am car shopping. I went to Jaguar yesterday and found the one I want its a 2016 F Type S RWD automatic.

I took it for a test drive and was a little underwhelmed by the power, but the v8 is way out of my price range.

I am going to be spending a couple of hours reading everything I can on this website, but I am a little impatient and want to ask some questions before I start reading.

How is Jaguar when it comes to engine modifications? I know with my BMW I had a engine tune and intake. They came off in minutes and BMW never even suspected that they were ever on. The tune never left a trace of evidence. From what I have noticed from my brief research you can either tune this car or change the pulley to get some extra power. Can you do either one of those or are you required to do both? Are these things easily noticed by the dealer when you take the car in for service?

Which leads me to wonder does Jaguar have any companies that they trust and allow within their warranty? For example BMW has Dianan they work together and their parts cost more but do not void warranty.

Is there a difference between 2016 F-Type and 2017 F Type? I heard something about the infotainment system being updated.

Thanks Guys

Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by AHB900
Hey guys, i just signed up to the board. I have never owned a Jaguar but my mom and dad are major fans and have had multiple in the past.

I fell in love with the F-Type V6s when it came out, and now I am car shopping. I went to Jaguar yesterday and found the one I want its a 2016 F Type S RWD automatic.

I took it for a test drive and was a little underwhelmed by the power, but the v8 is way out of my price range.

I am going to be spending a couple of hours reading everything I can on this website, but I am a little impatient and want to ask some questions before I start reading.

How is Jaguar when it comes to engine modifications? I know with my BMW I had a engine tune and intake. They came off in minutes and BMW never even suspected that they were ever on. The tune never left a trace of evidence. From what I have noticed from my brief research you can either tune this car or change the pulley to get some extra power. Can you do either one of those or are you required to do both? Are these things easily noticed by the dealer when you take the car in for service?

Which leads me to wonder does Jaguar have any companies that they trust and allow within their warranty? For example BMW has Dianan they work together and their parts cost more but do not void warranty.

Is there a difference between 2016 F-Type and 2017 F Type? I heard something about the infotainment system being updated.

Thanks Guys
1. Welcome to the forum! You'll soon be bombarded with good advice.
2. If you want a V8 get a 2014 or 2015 off a low mileage lease or you can negotiate almost $20k off a 2016 V8. They are trying to move them. Shop around.
3. Yes you can tune them. Look for any of the threads where Velocity is mentioned and look at all of Unhinged's posts on the subject. He has a V6 modded rocket ship.
4. Warranty had been debated ad nauseum on the site. As far as I can tell a tune can be reversed fairly easily if your worried then reinstalled later.
5. While there are not a tremendous amount of aftermarket things for this car more are appearing and folks are getting creative. We have also done some forum group buys from time to time.
6. Have fun with the site. This FTYPE forum is a very active group and you'll be up all night!

Have fun and you'll love this car.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the quick response Mbourne. The reason i am looking at the v6s is due to the fact that they are knocking about 15k off that MSRP, and I am looking to lease not buy. Even with 20k knocked off a v8 it still ends up out of my price range. Plus in all honesty, hopefully I dont get punched for saying this. I prefer the v6 sound . I am reading into velocity threads now.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1 to everything Marko said above.
Read the entirety of this thread:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...light=V6S+Tune
Unless you want the limited slip differential and the high performance brakes, it won't be any more costly to tune the V6 to the same same power as a tuned V6S. So, save your bucks unless you want all the additional premium features offered as standard on the V6S.

You might be able to get by with a tune undetected by flashing back to the OEM tune during a regular service, but if you blow an engine, the manufacturer may dig deep enough to see that the ECM has been tampered with. There is no way to hide either of the pulley changes, unless you are willing to spend the $700-1000 to change them, the belt and the idler back to OEM every time it goes in for service. That said, nobody has yet reported a denied warranty claim due to mods. (nobody's modded engine has blown up yet, though a couple stock ones have failed).

Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Plus in all honesty, hopefully I dont get punched for saying this. I prefer the v6 sound .
Some of us have already taken those punches for you.

BTW, welcome to the zoo.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM

Well the car im looking at is a 2016 fully loaded v6s and i have fallen in love wth it and getting one hell of a deal. Im hoping it feels a bit stronger once it breaks in. It had 21 miles on it and it was me and a adult male salesmen in the car, so im guessing once the engine breaks in a bit and im alone it will have a lot more punch.

The thing is the car gets to 60 very easily its just the punch is lacking.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

There is a recommended breakin period where your supposed to keep the revs down. When that ends put it in dynamic and sport and have at it.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
There is a recommended breakin period where your supposed to keep the revs down. When that ends put it in dynamic and sport and have at it.
Unfortunately, it didnt seem like the dealer cared about the break in period, I would normally care but I realized its a lease and if any thing breaks they have to fix it.

Does the break in period numb the car down for protection or something?

Old 09-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I dont think so. Mine has about 4000km on it now. While I think it is every bit as quick as my 5l supercharged XKR was, some of that improvement is gearing (the 8 speed box against the 6) and some is traction, and with the firmer seats not giving as much I dont get as much of the theater as I did with the XKR.

So I dont necessarily think that you will come to a point in time where you plant your foot and feel as though your face will peel off (which was how it felt in the XKR some times) even though the car is very quick.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I dont think so. Mine has about 4000km on it now. While I think it is every bit as quick as my 5l supercharged XKR was, some of that improvement is gearing (the 8 speed box against the 6) and some is traction, and with the firmer seats not giving as much I dont get as much of the theater as I did with the XKR.

So I dont necessarily think that you will come to a point in time where you plant your foot and feel as though your face will peel off (which was how it felt in the XKR some times) even though the car is very quick.
Yeah the peeling face feeling is something id love, but its really not practical for my daily driving needs. As long as its quicker than the BMW 335I I have now, which I don't think should be a problem.

I am proud to say that I will be locking the car down tomorrow and will have it in my possession in the next few days. I will make a post with some pictures when I have it.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Yeah the peeling face feeling is something id love, but its really not practical for my daily driving needs. As long as its quicker than the BMW 335I I have now, which I don't think should be a problem.

I am proud to say that I will be locking the car down tomorrow and will have it in my possession in the next few days. I will make a post with some pictures when I have it.
Similar situation here, I'm getting a new to me S coupe in a few days time, a bit older than yours but at least it comes (nearly) fully loaded.
Like you I'm just a teeny bit worried that it won't have the punch of my tuned XFR, especially over about 80 mph where the XFR pulls like a 14 year old. I also worry a little that it won't sound as good as my XFR, but I know it will sound good just in a different more strident and raspy way.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Similar situation here, I'm getting a new to me S coupe in a few days time, a bit older than yours but at least it comes (nearly) fully loaded.
Like you I'm just a teeny bit worried that it won't have the punch of my tuned XFR, especially over about 80 mph where the XFR pulls like a 14 year old. I also worry a little that it won't sound as good as my XFR, but I know it will sound good just in a different more strident and raspy way.
Oh the sound is where this car seals the deal for me. It sounded great, drove great, felt very high quality. It made my bmw 335I feel like Toyota Camry.

Its just on paper my 335I's torque is pretty close to the F Types and that makes me feel like they will be very close to each other in the power department.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Plus in all honesty, hopefully I dont get punched for saying this. I prefer the v6 sound
New to the forum and already starting problems! Mods close this thread! j/k

Its just on paper my 335I's torque is pretty close to the F Types and that makes me feel like they will be very close to each other in the power department.
What year 3er and what mods are on it?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome! I am surprised that you are going to lease a car and then do some major mods. Do you intend to remove all of the mods at lease end? Do you worry that an inspection will uncover any previous mods.
Having said that, when I turned in my Porsche, they did a rather superficial visual inspection, a CARFAX check, and that was it.

Larry

Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Welcome! I am surprised that you are going to lease a car and then do some major mods. Do you intend to remove all of the mods at lease end? Do you worry that an inspection will uncover any previous mods.
Having said that, when I turned in my Porsche, they did a rather superficial visual inspection, a CARFAX check, and that was it.

Larry
Lots of folks mod up their leased cars--many go hog wild! They just return the car to stock before turning in and then sell the used modifications to the kids on the forums

Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM

I did not know that, but should have suspected it. One of the reasons I started leasing was when I owned a fun car I had a compulsion to spend a lot of money on mods. I wanted an incentive to leave the car stock and a lease does that for me. You just convinced me to never buy a car that has come off lease without knowing the lessee.
Larry

Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
You just convinced me to never buy a car that has come off lease without knowing the lessee.
Larry
I personally would never buy a car that had been leased. People will treat the car like it's not theirs (and it isn't). A properly modded used car is actually a great deal, as the market value is generally less than a stock version, and some valuable add-ons can be had for less than nothing. Some rudimentary checks can be made to determine if the engine, suspension, drivetrain have been overly abused.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you think V6S lacks power, you will still think that way after break-in. The only way to remedy this is to get V8 or mod for more power.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I personally would never buy a car that had been leased. People will treat the car like it's not theirs (and it isn't).
+1

Also 'once a year oil change' schedule doesn't help this in any way.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Well, anyone would love to buy a car I leased. I treat it like my own, except no mods. Hell, I even paid for ceramic coating on my current leased car.

Larry

Quick Reply: About to join the family, but have questions.