F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to join the family, but have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If you think V6S lacks power, you will still think that way after break-in. The only way to remedy this is to get V8 or mod for more power.
+1.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kief
New to the forum and already starting problems! Mods close this thread! j/k

What year 3er and what mods are on it?
Lol you know how it is with car forums. I have a 2013 F30 335I with the 8 speed auto. Currently its stock but I had an intake and Stage 1 tune, and this was supposed to give me maybe 35hp 40torque. That would have presumably brought me up to 335 hp 340ish torque. I know the F TYpe S has 380hp but the torque levels are pretty low.

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Welcome! I am surprised that you are going to lease a car and then do some major mods. Do you intend to remove all of the mods at lease end? Do you worry that an inspection will uncover any previous mods.
Having said that, when I turned in my Porsche, they did a rather superficial visual inspection, a CARFAX check, and that was it.

Larry
Well with my BMW the service team was filled with my close friends who I hang out with all the time. No body would have even blinked if I drove in with a massive single turbo under the hood. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody at Jaguar.

If you think V6S lacks power, you will still think that way after break-in. The only way to remedy this is to get V8 or mod for more power.
Yeah possibly Im just glad there are options for modding. If it becomes underwhelming I would not mind a pulley and tune. Thats probably it. I saw the intake goes all the way down to the bottom of the bumper and that kind of makes me worry for rainy days and puddles.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

dealers dont give a damn about break in periods....its not their car, its not coming out of their pocket to fix things and they will let customers abuse the car if it makes the sale.

I mod my leased cars, but it sucks because you have to pay to do the mod and pay to undo the mod

Old 09-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Might want to ask how much an R is - the delta for leasing is smaller than you might think.

Jaguar Specials in Southern California

Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by meefer
Might want to ask how much an R is - the delta for leasing is smaller than you might think.

Jaguar Specials in Southern California
hmm that $899 F type R coupe is tempting, but its base and has nothing on it plus that 5k out of pocket still brings it over $1000 a month.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Well, anyone would love to buy a car I leased. I treat it like my own, except no mods. Hell, I even paid for ceramic coating on my current leased car.

Larry
Me and you, buddy. 2 suckers.

I justify my non-sensical approach by telling myself that I might buy it out at the end.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I personally disagree that V6S needs more power. I even track the car, and it still has plenty for me. Sure, there are cars that will out-accelerate it in a straight line. There are also cars that will out-turn it. There are very very few cars that will be able to do both. So if you can't out-accelerate the other guy, you surely will eat him in the corners.

You can get more raw power with a pulley and tune, but that won't make the car better as it very hard to use all existing power in a pure RWD configuration. So you will wag your tail more, or have electronic nanny cut your throttle sooner. If you want to actually use it, you will also need to roll fenders to get wider rear wheels. This in turn will cause car to understeer. To me undresteer is highly undesirable and has to be corrected.

IMO more power, at least in a RWD car, isn't the answer. It might be OK with AWD car, but I don't have first-hand experience with AWD F-type.

Last edited by SinF; 09-07-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:42 PM

I personally disagree that V6S needs more power. I even track the car, and it still has plenty for me. Sure, there are cars that will out-accelerate it in a straight line. There are also cars that will out-turn it. There are very very few cars that will be able to do both. So if you can't out-accelerate the other guy, you surely will eat him in the corners.

You can get more raw power with a pulley and tune, but that won't make the car better as it very hard to use all existing power in a pure RWD configuration. So you will wag your tail more, or have electronic nanny cut your throttle sooner. If you want to actually use it, you will also need to roll fenders to get wider rear wheels. This in turn will cause car to understeer. To me undresteer is highly undesirable and has to be corrected.

IMO more power, at least in a RWD car, isn't the answer. It might be OK with AWD car, but I don't have first-hand experience with AWD F-type.
You are right I think this car is in the perfect spot, and you don't need any more power for everyday driving. Although, the fact that there is a faster version kind of makes you think you need more.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AHB900
You are right I think this car is in the perfect spot, and you don't need any more power for everyday driving. Although, the fact that there is a faster version kind of makes you think you need more.
What more do you need when you take your foot of the gas at ~4,300 RPM in the V6S and get THAT NOISE!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

It all depends on your wants/needs/budget. ....as far as the RWD V8 being hard to control; harder? sure, but it's still faster. Fastest F type is the RWD P7 being 4 seconds ahead of the R AWD at nurburgring so you don't need AWD to make your F type fast (around corners or in a straight line), nor does the V6's lack of weight make up for the HP disadvantage....even on a course with corners. ;-) ....that's if you care about such things, of course.

Dave

Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 PM

So Far I love my car. I don't think the car is slow. It is quicker than my 335I. I have zero complaints so far, but hey if I can put in another 100hp with a tune and pulley it cant hurt.