Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order a new F Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts
Default About to order a new F Type R?

So, I'm a gear head. I love all kinds of performance cars; sport sedans, sports cars, hot rods, etc. I've had lots of different cars including a 65 Chevelle pro touring car with modern suspension, corvette LS3, etc. that I built. Recently, I had a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, a 2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport lowered, wheels, etc.

it's time for a new weekender. I now have the opportunity to jump into the 6 figure realm of cars. I'm torn which is definitely a 1st world problem to have I realize. However, I definitely dont want to make a huge 6 figure mistake especially with the horrible resale value of the Jag.

Anyway, I don't like to follow the crowd. I like cars that you dont see every day which is one reason I am leaning towards the facelifted F Type R. It sounds incredible (maybe not as good as the last version), is luxurious, exotic, gorgeous, and although heavy, is a beast of a performance car.

Other cars I'm considering: GT 500, Porsche 911 (too common I think), M3 (same), C63 AMG, and wait for a C8 ZO6 (#1 on the list but will be a long while since the first year and maybe 2nd are already sold out).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and get some insights from other R owners.

Cheers

Old 08-06-2021, 10:03 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. If you are worried about resale value, the F Type isn't the best investment among the vehicles you mentioned.

My own situation: I have driven 2 seat sports cars or sport coupes my entire life. But since I live in Southern California where home prices are insane, I always tried to live within my budget since a very large portion of my take home pay always went to a mortgage payment. The homes proved to be very good investments. Prior to owning my 2021 F Type R, my last sports car was a 2009 Nissan 370Z which I purchased new.

I retired in 2019 and thanks to wise investments and fiscal responsibility throughout my career, I found myself with quite a bit of money that I could spend without jeopardizing my lifestyle. I could have bought any of the vehicles that you are considering. But I have always loved Jaguars. And since they have become more reliable in the last decade or so, the F Type moved to the top of my list. I ordered an R Model in February and took delivery in May. There is a lot to be said for ordering a car exactly as you want it as opposed to the take it or leave it situation that you may otherwise face. I went with the very classic British Racing Green with tan Windsor leather.

The other cars may outperform the F Type by a slim margin but when you are talking vehicles in that class, it doesn't really matter. They are all fantastic. But the one thing I can tell you is every time I am out with my Jaguar I get positive comments from strangers. They love the color. They love the lines. They love the fact that it is a Jaguar and a legendary marque. They often ask what kind of car it is, knowing that it is exotic but not quite recognizing it unless they see the leaper and Jaguar logo on the hatch. It doesn't carry the stigma of a "mid-life crisis car" that the C8 does.

I don't know how old you are, but I am a silver haired 66 year old guy but still a motorhead at heart. The F Type makes me feel like I finally "made it" in life, which I have although I sure wish I could have owned a car like that in my 40's. And it truly hauls *** when I want it to and isn't all looks and no performance.

Good luck with your choice.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
andrew0068 (08-07-2021), dozerman (08-07-2021), mmmjag (08-06-2021), MV Rider (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

If you like to modify, the Jag is not the best choice. I would add the AMG GT to your list.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
Anyway, I don't like to follow the crowd. I like cars that you dont see every day which is one reason I am leaning towards the facelifted F Type R. It sounds incredible (maybe not as good as the last version), is luxurious, exotic, gorgeous, and although heavy, is a beast of a performance car.
The F-Type is definitely one that is not overly common. That is exactly what drew me to it. Porsche's are awesome vehicles without question. However, most people just sort of "walk right by them". The F-Type will definitely, even 6-7 years after it's entry into the market, turn heads. That being said, when having a 6 figure budget, it does open up other options. If you are purely looking at new only, then it does narrow the market a bit. If you are also considering slightly used and in the 6 figure area, that does open the options to other exotics. The main considering to think through is maintenance. While the "sale" prices go down on cars, the maintenance costs are still same. Maintenance does not depreciate like sales costs. For example, a McLaren 12C would likely fit into the price range but the maintenance is going to be substantially more than the F-Type. A used Audi R8 would also fall into the range as well.

I would recommend driving some cars and see what you like. It's a lucky feeling when you have the ability to choose from such fantastic vehicles.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

If resale is important to you, I'd definitely look at the GT500 and C8 Z06 like you already mentioned. Additionally you can look at an used AMG GT / GTS which is also around the same price point. The two American options are never going to depreciate that much and the AMG is pretty much at the bottom of its depreciation curve.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, I'd suggest a 991.1 GT3 or an used AMG GTR. I've driven the GTR on two separate track days at COTA and it blew my mind. Sounds absolutely incredible too. They're the priciest one on this list at around 135-150 but doubtful they'd depreciate any further than that.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same situation looking for the toy car. However I don't consider AMG GTs which I drove extensively thanks to have multiple AMG vehicles. It's a great looking car and perfect for the track but too much for me as a weekend drive. Plus my wife will never go with me for a dinner in AMG GTR with all these noises

Old 08-06-2021, 05:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

If money is of any concern, now is not the time to be buying any of these cars. When this market corrects itself, the depreciation on almost any car you buy now is not going to be pretty. It looks like the prices on the used F-Types did not go up as much as some other cars, so a used one is actually not so bad in the current market. That's why I just downgraded to an 2018 F-Type R, it will cost me less on the down side of this market and still has 3 years of warranty left, not to mention is a lot of fun. I found a really good car,exactly like I would have configured it, except the color. Its metallic black, which looks really good but I usually don't go for black because of just how difficult it is to keep clean. So that's my penalty for buying used.

I do understand the nicety of ordering a car exactly like you want it, which I've done a number of times. But honestly, there's just not that many choices on cars like the F-Type, so there's a much higher probability of finding what you want out there. When you are talking about customizing an order for something like an Aston, Ferrari, or McLaren, then how you want to customize it can make a very big difference in the car (and the price).

If you really want something different, order a Lotus Emira.On paper it looks pretty good.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agreed. If you're open to lightly used that's a much better proposition. Buy a 2-3 year old SVR instead for the cache. Someone else took the dep hit and you can get a $130-140k car for $80s

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

You should consider a Viper. Prices going up. If you change your mind, you can always get what you paid.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:10 AM
Cgo

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Resale is not a huge concern. Modern cars arent investments. Anything new is going to depreciate, some worse than others. However, I dont want to totally lose my **** when it comes time to trade or sell for the next toy.

Yes, slightly used is in the list too. The V10 R8 and AMG GT S and R are contenders as well. I prefer the facelifted F Type over the original hence why I would be buying a new one. I would order it because there arent many on the lots anywhere. Plus, if I'm going to get a new one, I'm going to get exactly what I want. I would get it in BRG, black package, black wheels, and tan interior.

I dont plan on customizing as I have other vehicles for that. This would be my weekend twisty road to the cafe car. I'm 46, retired military officer. I invested wisely when I was 20 years old and it paid off... ;-)

One of the reasons the F is at the top of my list is the strong warranty (for a car like this) and included 5 year maintenance which equates to lower ownership costs compared to some of the competitors. Anyway, you all made good points and although I love the Jag, it sounds like the other options may be better choices mainly due to the unfortunate depreciation issue.

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 PM
Cgo

Fk it, I just ordered a new Ftype R in BRG with tan interior. I just love the car and the fact that nobody else has one. Resale be damned, who cares.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cgo:
scm (08-08-2021), tzoid9 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 PM
Cgo

I just cant go for yet another 911 or similar common car. Want to be different. Its exotic because it will be the only one at the local cars and coffee for sure. There are about 10 911s and 2 R8s not to mention 3 gt 500s to this one ,f type.

19FRG (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:50 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Resale is not a huge concern. Modern cars arent investments. Anything new is going to depreciate, some worse than others. However, I dont want to totally lose my **** when it comes time to trade or sell for the next toy.

Yes, slightly used is in the list too. The V10 R8 and AMG GT S and R are contenders as well. I prefer the facelifted F Type over the original hence why I would be buying a new one. I would order it because there arent many on the lots anywhere. Plus, if I'm going to get a new one, I'm going to get exactly what I want. I would get it in BRG, black package, black wheels, and tan interior.

I dont plan on customizing as I have other vehicles for that. This would be my weekend twisty road to the cafe car. I'm 46, retired military officer. I invested wisely when I was 20 years old and it paid off... ;-)

One of the reasons the F is at the top of my list is the strong warranty (for a car like this) and included 5 year maintenance which equates to lower ownership costs compared to some of the competitors. Anyway, you all made good points and although I love the Jag, it sounds like the other options may be better choices mainly due to the unfortunate depreciation issue.

Cheers!
if the trend truly goes electric, gas cars in limited production like the f type could be worth a gold mine. Jmo.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:55 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Great choice, the beauty and rarity of these cars were my deal maker. Beware, you will get mobbed in parking lots and drive thrus with compliments and praise. If you are shy it could make you uncomfortable. I love it. Hardly ever when I'm out has there been a time where I didn't get a thumbs up or a conversation.I wanted brg but settled for grey and had it wrapped later in another color.

Last edited by 19FRG; 08-08-2021 at 02:01 AM.
b21R (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
Fk it, I just ordered a new Ftype R in BRG with tan interior. I just love the car and the fact that nobody else has one. Resale be damned, who cares.
Congrats!
Did you order 2022?
Can you share if you get reasonably good deal?
Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Cgo

Originally Posted by mmmjag
Congrats!
Did you order 2022?
Can you share if you get reasonably good deal?
Thanks
No, 2021. 22 ordering is about to open. 6 to 8 months for delivery which is why I didnt wait. I got no deal. MSRP minus any incentives at the time of delivery. Find one on the lot, and there is a $10k off MSRP plus dealers willing to deal.

Black wheels, extended leather upgrade, glass roof, black package with body color skirts, blind spot monitors, etc. $113k.

Last edited by Cgo; 08-08-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add more details
tzoid9 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 PM
Cgo

Just got notice that it may be 12 months before I get the car due to parts availability and continued COVID shutdowns/restrictions in the UK. Ugh!! Hell, Jag may not recover from all this along with tons of other companies.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 PM

On the positive note you going to get 2022 model!

Old 08-11-2021, 08:05 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by mmmjag
On the positive note you going to get 2022 model!
probably a 2021 re issued as a 2022... lol yeah, not sure how that works if they arent able to produce the scheduled amount of 2021s. Do they just cancel the run of 2021s and start back up with 22s?

Old 08-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I know you might be looking at the R, but why? As a RWD guy, I would look at the P450 and see if you can get it with all the bells and whistles you want. Then mod with tune and pulley as you want to 645BHP - better than the R. RWD is actually faster from a roll than the AWD. Plus they are way more fun!

Quick Reply: About to order a new F Type R?