Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order a new F Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tkwesa
I know you might be looking at the R, but why? As a RWD guy, I would look at the P450 and see if you can get it with all the bells and whistles you want. Then mod with tune and pulley as you want to 645BHP - better than the R. RWD is actually faster from a roll than the AWD. Plus they are way more fun!
Good points. For 2021 short answer is V8. For 22, because only the V8 is offered, it's a good question. However, I want the top dog. Sure, I can mod the other ones but at the expense of warranty. Jag has improved reliability, but the warranty and free scheduled maintenance is one reason I like the Jag over competitors.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
No, 2021. 22 ordering is about to open. 6 to 8 months for delivery which is why I didnt wait. I got no deal. MSRP minus any incentives at the time of delivery. Find one on the lot, and there is a $10k off MSRP plus dealers willing to deal.

Black wheels, extended leather upgrade, glass roof, black package with body color skirts, blind spot monitors, etc. $113k.
May I ask why the F-Type delivery takes so long? While the major competitors from other car brands always have a car for you ready at their parking lot it is really absurd this long of a wait in enjoying your new car.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 08-19-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:11 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
May I ask why the F-Type delivery takes so long? While the major competitors from other car brands always have a car for you ready at their parking lot it is really absurd this long of a wait in enjoying your new car.
So, my order was cancelled. JLR has halted production. The chip shortage is main reason why the timeline is so long. However, they're so impacted that they halted production with no estimate on when or if theyll resume. Mercedes Benz is in the same situation. They just cancelled all V8 model production and associated orders. The rumor is Jag will do the same since they are going 100% electric by 2025 anyway. JLR shut down two of the three factories and are only focusing on the higher volume models right now.

Sucks.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nobody knows whats going on including manufacturers.
And now I see new 2022 V8 cars for sale like this one:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-a73905d6b6ac/

Old 08-19-2021, 02:39 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

If you want a car off the lot that a manufacturer has built on the off-chance someone will buy it then yeah, there'll be one for you if you're not fussy about tailoring it to your exact specification. But F-Types are a niche product and folks like to spec it themselves, hence the delay in delivery (current shortages notwithstanding). I'm sure all the major manufacturers will have longish delivery times, too, if you spec a vehicle that they don't have in stock.

BTW, which "major competitors" does the F-Type have? What's the delivery time for a Ferrari, Aston Martin or Lambo?

Old 08-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
So, my order was cancelled. JLR has halted production. The chip shortage is main reason why the timeline is so long. However, they're so impacted that they halted production with no estimate on when or if theyll resume. Mercedes Benz is in the same situation. They just cancelled all V8 model production and associated orders. The rumor is Jag will do the same since they are going 100% electric by 2025 anyway. JLR shut down two of the three factories and are only focusing on the higher volume models right now.

Sucks.
Oh I see, the chip shortage, I forgot about. I thought buying a new F-Type goes on a long wait to obtain one. I was wrong. Thanks

Old 08-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by scm
If you want a car off the lot that a manufacturer has built on the off-chance someone will buy it then yeah, there'll be one for you if you're not fussy about tailoring it to your exact specification. But F-Types are a niche product and folks like to spec it themselves, hence the delay in delivery (current shortages notwithstanding). I'm sure all the major manufacturers will have longish delivery times, too, if you spec a vehicle that they don't have in stock.

BTW, which "major competitors" does the F-Type have? What's the delivery time for a Ferrari, Aston Martin or Lambo?
Not quite the right competitors... more like BMW M4, 911, Aston Vantage, etc.

Either way, if production is shut down, cant even submit an order like in my case.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:23 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by mmmjag
nobody knows whats going on including manufacturers.
And now I see new 2022 V8 cars for sale like this one:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-a73905d6b6ac/
all I know is that dealerships told me they arent taking any orders. Maybe that 2022 is a dealer order that was submitted before the production halt. That may not even be on a lot, might just be an "in transit" pending order. Idk

I've been checking the Jaguar corporate site US inventory. Only declining, nothing new showing up that I see.

Last edited by Cgo; 08-19-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Oh I see, the chip shortage, I forgot about. I thought buying a new F-Type goes on a long wait to obtain one. I was wrong. Thanks
5-6 months was typical before the pandemic, when ordering a personal spec'd F-Type.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by scm

Well, Ferrari Roma, about 12 months. Aston Vantage, about 5 months. What is unknown is how accurate those estimates are.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by Mahjik
5-6 months was typical before the pandemic, when ordering a personal spec'd F-Type.
I've ordered numerous vehicles including my recent truck. They've all taken 4-6 months.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:54 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Welcome to the Forum. If you are worried about resale value, the F Type isn't the best investment among the vehicles you mentioned.

My own situation: I have driven 2 seat sports cars or sport coupes my entire life. But since I live in Southern California where home prices are insane, I always tried to live within my budget since a very large portion of my take home pay always went to a mortgage payment. The homes proved to be very good investments. Prior to owning my 2021 F Type R, my last sports car was a 2009 Nissan 370Z which I purchased new.

I retired in 2019 and thanks to wise investments and fiscal responsibility throughout my career, I found myself with quite a bit of money that I could spend without jeopardizing my lifestyle. I could have bought any of the vehicles that you are considering. But I have always loved Jaguars. And since they have become more reliable in the last decade or so, the F Type moved to the top of my list. I ordered an R Model in February and took delivery in May. There is a lot to be said for ordering a car exactly as you want it as opposed to the take it or leave it situation that you may otherwise face. I went with the very classic British Racing Green with tan Windsor leather.

The other cars may outperform the F Type by a slim margin but when you are talking vehicles in that class, it doesn't really matter. They are all fantastic. But the one thing I can tell you is every time I am out with my Jaguar I get positive comments from strangers. They love the color. They love the lines. They love the fact that it is a Jaguar and a legendary marque. They often ask what kind of car it is, knowing that it is exotic but not quite recognizing it unless they see the leaper and Jaguar logo on the hatch. It doesn't carry the stigma of a "mid-life crisis car" that the C8 does.

I don't know how old you are, but I am a silver haired 66 year old guy but still a motorhead at heart. The F Type makes me feel like I finally "made it" in life, which I have although I sure wish I could have owned a car like that in my 40's. And it truly hauls *** when I want it to and isn't all looks and no performance.

Good luck with your choice.
It's good to listen to someone who tells it how it is from different perspectives. I also find it interesting to listen to guys who buy a car a keep it for a long time. It's like a good marriage. Unconditional love. I heard that Prince Philip bought a Aston Martin Lagonda in 1954 and did not sell it until 2016. That is amazing. Anyone can buy a car but loving it is being able to keep it. Not throwing it over for the latest thing. I am not saying that is a bad thing but I do personally like to see people keeping cars and really loving them even if it is only one in their life time.

The following users liked this post:
X100 (04-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I keep my cars until I find something that's better and worth changing for. The F-Type was what made me give up my 2010 XKR and I really can't see anything coming that will tear the F-Type from my fingers.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I placed my order for my 2021 F-Type R on March 23rd...just received word that it was built on Aug. 16th and should arrive at my dealer in Kalamazoo on Sept 24...6 months...exactly.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I'll bet dealers are taking the approach right now that it is better to under promise and over deliver. When I ordered my car in February I was told 90-120 days. It actually took about 90 days, and I'll bet 30-40 days of that were waiting for a spot on a cargo ship that was heading to a port in Southern California and the actual time on the water and clearing Customs once it arrived at the port. I must have got in just under the wire before the chip shortage caused a shutdown.

The chip shortage is undoubtedly part of the problem. But I doubt that the automakers, most if not all of which are suffering greatly from this, are just sitting back and saying "oh well, I guess we'll see the parts when they get here". Great pressure is on the chip makers to catch up and fill orders. This is why Jaguar is saying 6-8 months. They are hoping that really means 4-6 months and the customers will be thrilled when their cars arrive earlier than quoted. Of course if the factory isn't even accepting orders, that's another story.

I don't think Jaguar is ceasing production of ICE vehicles just yet. I would just keep checking back with my dealer and hopefully the stalemate will end soon. Then maybe we will see cars getting delivered in 6 months or less again.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 08-21-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Cgo

JLR has halted production on all models. Cant order one right now. They currently dont have an estimated startup date. They shutdown two of three factories to focus on high volume models. Anticipated chip shortage impacts expected to continue through 2022. Mercedes has same issue and just stated that they are stopping production for good on all high performance V8 models due to increasing regulatory and environmental restrictions. The chip shortage expedited their decision.

I typically dont keep modern cars for very long. Classics, yes. However with the faster than expected turn towards electric only, I'm trying to get my hands on what will most likely be my last new V8 sports car. This one, I will keep forever probably.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool What about the 2022 F-Types?

Originally Posted by Cgo
JLR has halted production on all models. Cant order one right now. They currently don't have an estimated startup date. They shutdown two of three factories to focus on high volume models. Anticipated chip shortage impacts expected to continue through 2022. Mercedes has same issue and just stated that they are stopping production for good on all high performance V8 models due to increasing regulatory and environmental restrictions. The chip shortage expedited their decision.
This is very upsetting to me as well. But what does this mean for the 2022 F-Types? (I understand you're saying they aren't currently taking any orders.)
But if the 2022s were about due to hit the dealerships in the USA soon, then does that mean they've already manufactured some? Can we expect some new ones to show up at USA dealerships?
Or is it game over completely on new F-Types until 2025?

Old 08-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by Linzee222
This is very upsetting to me as well. But what does this mean for the 2022 F-Types? (I understand you're saying they aren't currently taking any orders.)
But if the 2022s were about due to hit the dealerships in the USA soon, then does that mean they've already manufactured some? Can we expect some new ones to show up at USA dealerships?
Or is it game over completely on new F-Types until 2025?
they shut down the factory where the F type is built. So, until they start production, no f type 22s. My guess is that if this continues, theyll just kill the Ftype and ramp up early for the electric transition. This is what Mercedes is doing apparently.

Last edited by Cgo; 08-21-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
they shut down the factory where the F type is built. So, until they start production, no f type 22s. My guess is that if this continues, theyll just kill the Ftype and ramp up early for the electric transition. This is what Mercedes is doing apparently.
Hi Cgo... I have been lurking on this forum as I, myself, was interested in building and ordering an F-type. Then I read your experience about your order getting cancelled and figured it was a lost cause.
I called and spoke to 2 different dealers on the west coast and both said they were accepting orders. I told them about your experience and had my closest dealer triple check about ordering and he said they are definitely taking orders, but it may be a March/April delivery date.
I literally just left the dealer in Portland, OR, where I placed my order with deposit. I have a gut feeling they will be calling me next week, just like you, to tell me my order can't be placed. I will report back if this happens.
In the meantime, I've tentatively got a Firenze Red R loaded up on order! We'll see...

The following 2 users liked this post by Fireze22:
DJS (08-22-2021), Linzee222 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

When I placed the order for my F Type back in February, the dealer sent me a copy of the actual factory build order. It was three pages long and I went through every line to make sure it was configured the way I wanted it, and then I confirmed with the dealer that it was correct.

The build order should include an Order Number, a line for Status (mine says Order Confirmed) a Build Date and a Delivery Date. Which of course are subject to change. My Delivery Date was about a month earlier than the date on the build order. So my actual wait time was right about 90 days rather than the 120 days quoted on the build order.

I would not get too excited until the dealer provides you with a copy of the build order. That means that the factory has accepted the order from the dealer and has scheduled the production.
Good luck with it Firenze Red will be stunning.

The following users liked this post:
Linzee222 (08-22-2021)

Quick Reply: About to order a new F Type R?