F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order a new F Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
When I placed the order for my F Type back in February, the dealer sent me a copy of the actual factory build order. It was three pages long and I went through every line to make sure it was configured the way I wanted it, and then I confirmed with the dealer that it was correct.

The build order should include an Order Number, a line for Status (mine says Order Confirmed) a Build Date and a Delivery Date. Which of course are subject to change. My Delivery Date was about a month earlier than the date on the build order. So my actual wait time was right about 90 days rather than the 120 days quoted on the build order.

I would not get too excited until the dealer provides you with a copy of the build order. That means that the factory has accepted the order from the dealer and has scheduled the production.
Good luck with it Firenze Red will be stunning.
Thank you for this information! At this point I'm mostly worried I'll be getting a call like Cgo that my order is cancelled like his was due to factory shut downs.
A 90 day wait would be amazing if the order goes through. I was told it would be a March/April delivery so I'm in it for the long haul.
​​​​​​I also have a deposit down on the new Emira, so if it is cancelled, I'll just hang in there for that.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JagofFire
Hi Cgo... I have been lurking on this forum as I, myself, was interested in building and ordering an F-type. Then I read your experience about your order getting cancelled and figured it was a lost cause.
I called and spoke to 2 different dealers on the west coast and both said they were accepting orders. I told them about your experience and had my closest dealer triple check about ordering and he said they are definitely taking orders, but it may be a March/April delivery date.
I literally just left the dealer in Portland, OR, where I placed my order with deposit. I have a gut feeling they will be calling me next week, just like you, to tell me my order can't be placed. I will report back if this happens.
In the meantime, I've tentatively got a Firenze Red R loaded up on order! We'll see...
Interesting. Like you, my dealership and I sat down and submitted my order. It was days later they said it was rejected due to halted production. In fact, I just checked in with the dealership on Friday and they said no change in status.

Let us know how this plays out.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Cgo

Originally Posted by Cgo
Interesting. Like you, my dealership and I sat down and submitted my order. It was days later they said it was rejected due to halted production. In fact, I just checked in with the dealership on Friday and they said no change in status.

check out this article from two days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.am-...tomer-warnings

according to this article, orders are being accepted, just not fulfilled any time soon. I'm starting to think the dealership I've been working with is playing games with me. They have never sold an F Type. They focus on high volume sales with the SUVs. My guess is that they just dont want to deal with an f type order because if I backed out, they would have to sell it. Seems shady that they wont at least submit my order.

I'm going to contact another dealership.

Last edited by Cgo; 08-22-2021 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Linzee222 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo

Originally Posted by Cgo

according to this article, orders are being accepted, just not fulfilled any time soon. I'm starting to think the dealership I've been working with is playing games with me. They have never sold an F Type. They focus on high volume sales with the SUVs. My guess is that they just dont want to deal with an f type order because if I backed out, they would have to sell it. Seems shady that they wont at least submit my order.

Interesting indeed!! I would definitely call another dealer. I don't know where you are, but I was very happy with my sales guy (actually a Brit! Hahaha!). I could pass his info on if you'd like. But, again, that was in Oregon so may not be feasible.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
When I placed the order for my F Type back in February, the dealer sent me a copy of the actual factory build order. It was three pages long and I went through every line to make sure it was configured the way I wanted it, and then I confirmed with the dealer that it was correct.

The build order should include an Order Number, a line for Status (mine says Order Confirmed) a Build Date and a Delivery Date. Which of course are subject to change. My Delivery Date was about a month earlier than the date on the build order. So my actual wait time was right about 90 days rather than the 120 days quoted on the build order.

I would not get too excited until the dealer provides you with a copy of the build order. That means that the factory has accepted the order from the dealer and has scheduled the production.
Good luck with it Firenze Red will be stunning.
Hi Dwight.. Thnsk you for the info. I replied earlier but it was flagged for approval by mods? Not sure why but anyway, appreciate the feedback!

Old 08-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The quest for the truth

Originally Posted by Cgo

Thank you for posting the article link. Now I have a clearer picture of what's going on. It does all still sound really dicey, but it doesn't specifically say they shut down factories or completely stopped production on any of their models.

It does sound as though they might be modifying some of the technology as a work-around, though. And that might not be the best thing either.

Bottom line: to me, it doesn't make good business sense for them to quit production on the F-type completely for 2+ years and then crank it out only in an electric version.

Not when it's in such demand with the combustion engine. That's a lot of revenue.

Then again, lost production time is $$$ too.

So it boils down to how bad the shortage is, and what the chip manufacturers are doing to ramp-up production on their end to meet industry demands.

Please keep us posted on how you make out with another dealership. Here's hoping you get the truth!

Old 08-22-2021, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Linzee222
Thank you for posting the article link. Now I have a clearer picture of what's going on. It does all still sound really dicey, but it doesn't specifically say they shut down factories or completely stopped production on any of their models.

It does sound as though they might be modifying some of the technology as a work-around, though. And that might not be the best thing either.

Bottom line: to me, it doesn't make good business sense for them to quit production on the F-type completely for 2+ years and then crank it out only in an electric version.

Not when it's in such demand with the combustion engine. That's a lot of revenue.

Then again, lost production time is $$$ too.

So it boils down to how bad the shortage is, and what the chip manufacturers are doing to ramp-up production on their end to meet industry demands.

Please keep us posted on how you make out with another dealership. Here's hoping you get the truth!
I agree with you. It doesn't make sense. Especially after they invested R&D into the facelifted version.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you. It doesn't make sense. Especially after they invested R&D into the facelifted version.
Since when do companies do things that make sense?

Old 08-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Since when do companies do things that make sense?
Touche

Old 08-22-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Touche
Also keep in mind that we as consumers don't see the data they are using to base their decisions on. Long time ago (long long time ago) when I was getting started in the workplace, I used to think the management I worked under made bad decisions. When I got the chance at management, I had access to more information and then suddenly those 'bad decisions' made more sense.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:40 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Also keep in mind that we as consumers don't see the data they are using to base their decisions on. Long time ago (long long time ago) when I was getting started in the workplace, I used to think the management I worked under made bad decisions. When I got the chance at management, I had access to more information and then suddenly those 'bad decisions' made more sense.
Same here, except now I just have proof that they make bad decisions.

People are really good at taking data and deciding it tells them what they already thought, regardless of the data. They are also really bad at looking at data collected about the past and figuring out how that applies to the future.

The difference with these car companies is that it doesn't matter if they make good decisions, because some bigger company will usually bail them out by making their own bad decision, and the really big companies will be bailed out by the government.

Fireze22 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Cgo

All good points, but also keep in mind that for JLR, the F Type isnt exactly a high volume money maker for them hence the rebates already for the 2021. You hardly if ever see rebates on 911s, etc. Another indicator is the poor resale value of the F Type. It doesnt sell well unfortunately.

There are articles online regarding the shutdown of two factories. This happened back in April and I havent found anything indicating they ever re opened.

If any retooling is being done it would be for the chips. Silicon chips are old school. The modern chip technology is made from a different material that is readily available, easier to produce, are smaller, and cheaper. No idea why the auto manufacturers havent already shifted over.

I do doubt that JLR would put forth the effort on a low volume vehicle though. They'd more than likely focus on the high volume models like SUVs including the I Pace, P Pace and LRs and just cut their losses on the cars including the F Type.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:38 PM

For whatever it's worth, I thought I'd share a little intel. I took a ride through some auto dealerships today (not JLR) and stopped and chatted with a couple of salesman. It's looking pretty dismal all the way around. Almost no new vehicles for sale anywhere!

One salesman said he's been hearing it will be 18 months before the auto manufacturing industry gets caught up from the C-19 delays.

A Jeep salesman told me that they are not taking any new orders right now, but expect to be taking custom orders again in about a month.

Of course, none of this tells us anything on whether or not JLR will be making any new F-Types prior to 2025, but it's intel, nonetheless.

Fireze22 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Cgo

For whatever it's worth, I thought I'd share a little intel. I took a ride through some auto dealerships today (not JLR) and stopped and chatted with a couple of salesman. It's looking pretty dismal all the way around. Almost no new vehicles for sale anywhere!

One salesman said he's been hearing it will be 18 months before the auto manufacturing industry gets caught up from the C-19 delays.

A Jeep salesman told me that they are not taking any new orders right now, but expect to be taking custom orders again in about a month.

Of course, none of this tells us anything on whether or not JLR will be making any new F-Types prior to 2025, but it's intel, nonetheless.
Yup, same here. My wife has been shopping for a new SUV but all the lots are pretty much empty. In fact, one of the smaller dealerships near me has closed its doors. They tried selling used cars, but just couldn't compete without new inventory.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:00 AM

It's a very sad state of affairs!

(I could tell one of the salesmen I talked to was incredibly bored - I think he was hoping I'd come inside and hang out with him all day. Poor guy!)

Here's hoping things turn around in 2022.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:40 AM
Cgo

It's a very sad state of affairs!

(I could tell one of the salesmen I talked to was incredibly bored - I think he was hoping I'd come inside and hang out with him all day. Poor guy!)

Here's hoping things turn around in 2022.
I bet. I've been working with some out of state dealerships on the few 2021 Rs still out there. Some have a policy to sell locally only but others are willing but reluctant. One car is very close to what I want albeit not my first choice of color. They told me they have to try local first but if it doesnt sell by October, they will sell out of state. The car has sat on their lot since May...

I prefer Eiger Gray, but none for sale. Lots of yellow, black, and white ones. The yellow with black package is growing on me as are the Santorini Black.

Linzee222 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cgo
I bet. I've been working with some out of state dealerships on the few 2021 Rs still out there. Some have a policy to sell locally only but others are willing but reluctant. One car is very close to what I want albeit not my first choice of color. They told me they have to try local first but if it doesnt sell by October, they will sell out of state. The car has sat on their lot since May...

I prefer Eiger Gray, but none for sale. Lots of yellow, black, and white ones. The yellow with black package is growing on me as are the Santorini Black.
There is a Bluefire one in California I had considered.

https://www.jaguarpasadena.com/inven...51fe1mck75166/

Old 08-25-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fireze22
There is a Bluefire one in California I had considered.

https://www.jaguarpasadena.com/inven...51fe1mck75166/
Oooh...she's purdy!!! And it says you can do a virtual walk-around.
That is a gorgeous car. WOW!

Old 08-25-2021, 03:24 PM

Oooh...she's purdy!!! And it says you can do a virtual walk-around.
That is a gorgeous car. WOW!
I was working with Aren and I have a walk around video if your interested. I could forward you the email. 😊

Old 08-25-2021, 03:26 PM

Thank you. Appreciate the offer. I'm only sticking my toe in at the moment.
But CGO may want to see it.

Quick Reply: About to order a new F Type R?