F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase an F-Type. Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to purchase an F-Type. Please read!

Hello, all!

Long time leaser of vehicles. Getting ready to purchase my dream car.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R V8 with only 19,000 miles & I am excited yet nervous! I am going through the process with CarMax. It has a clean history, no accidents, only 2 owners. Went through vehicle history on the phone in great detail with the representative. Will not pull the trigger until I actually see/test drive the car.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations for me? Tips, things to know, etc.?

Should I buy a warranty? I am already toward the top of my budget, so I’m not sure if I should get one or not.

Please, any advice on the car or the purchasing process I will take into consideration. I am a newbie when it comes to Jaguar, but I have also done my research on the F-Type. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I always worry about how a premium car ends up at Carmax (or Carvana). Not to say it can't be fine, but I'd recommend getting it independently inspected before you close the deal. Extended warranty is a tricky choice. The fact is that about half the price is expected profit to the insurer. So, the "odds" are that you'd be leaving money on the table to get one. On the other hand, you mentioned that you're tight on budget, so you may not be ready to risk the cost of a significant repair. The Carmax has gotten some favorable comments - but not universally. In general, it's a good idea to shop around - but - don't just buy on price. Some companies specialize is finding ways to not pay your claim (not a covered item, abuse, modified, normal wear, etc). There are more stories from people who couldn't get their repair covered than from ones whose warranty saved their bacon.

Enjoy your new toy (hopefully)!

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

I've had good luck with CarMax. I could see someone unloading an F-Type there as they generally pay more than the dealer if you aren't an iron *** about negotiating.

Just for your FYI, all Rs are V8s, so no need to add that to the model name.

I looked through CarMax nationwide and could not find the car you are referencing, so I don't have anything specific to say about your car other than it is the only year the R was offered in RWD, which I think makes it special. There is a cooling pipe that can have failure issues on that year. I doubt it still has the factory P-Zeros, so you are probably good there. There is a good chance it had regular yearly service for at least 5 years as that was included with the purchase when it was new was transferable to the new owner if it still ha years remaining. The dreaded overfill issue is not a factor on that car as it has .75L more oil capacity than the later RWD models.

An F-Type is a passion purchase. Is there risk? Yes there is. It's a used European car. I don't think the risk is an greater than with an Audi, Merc, Porsche, etc, just go in eyes wide open and know things like the oil change is going to be pricey due to the oil that is made from the tears of unicorns. See if you have a good independent Jag shop around and take the car to them for a once over and you should be good.

The following users liked this post:
GeorgeIII (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

"There is a good chance it had regular yearly service for at least 5 years as that was included with the purchase when it was new was transferable to the new owner if it still ha years remaining."

Just one notation - The 5-Yr Warranty wasn't in place for MY's 2014&15. I don't think it's a big deal - just a little less assurance that the original owner was freely getting & motivated to get regular maintenance. Something serious, such as the coolant pipes, would have necessarily been addressed - just OOP.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just one word of caution: These cars are not Toyotas, so better allocate funds for unexpected repairs. Also price insurance, and plan for maintenance costs as well. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:50 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought 3 cars thru Carmax including my F type. I only bought the warranty for the F type. The warranty company when I bought my car in 2019 was CNA.
The Jag dealer told me CNA was a good company to deal with.

Pull you own carfax report do not rely on anything provided by the dealer. It is worth the sanity check! I found pulling my own shows more service records.

If you purchase the car, take it straight to a Jag dealer and ask for an inspection of the car. If they find anything go right back to carmax and let them know.
Go to the dealer they know what to look for in these cars not anyone else.

If you buy the warranty, be prepared to keep up on the yearly service as most warranty companies will refuse claims if you do not maintain your car to their
standard. Keep all the service receipts and records. Also, you may be able to negotiate the price of the warranty.

I would never buy a car thru Carvana or any service like that.

Carmax has dealerships (Brick and mortar) and they are nice facilities. No dealer is perfect and
you need to test drive and listen and feel for issues. Don't fall in love with the car on first site... and let that decide for you. If the car is being shipped from another site
inspect the car all around, paint, tires and interior. Also ask prior to shipping they send you pictures of "all" exterior blemishes. This way if the car shows with additional flaws not-disclosed you can get you shipping fee refunded.

My experience with Carmax was positive. I would say they are no better or worst then any car dealer ship. Selling used cars.

Good luck

Last edited by 2004XJ8; 08-05-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

My advice is do your due diligence and just do it. Life is short. The whole RWD thing is pretty special too. I have read that those cars in particular could gain value moving forward because people like scary things they can't get anymore ;-0 Make some sense to me...lol

Old 08-05-2023, 11:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased my 2017 S convertible through Carmax a little over a year ago. 1 owner, 17,000 miles and have already added 10,000 care free miles to that. The experience with Carmax was awesome. I did buy the warranty and added the cost to the financing so I hardly feel it. Although I have not had to use the warranty yet I sleep well knowing it’s there if I need it.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:38 PM

I’m a happy owner of a Jag 2015 F-Type R RWD. Love it.

I bought her used in October 2021, 64k miles, I’m the 3rd owner.
Previous owner bought her from a car dealership where also bought an extended warranty called Axiom Platinum. Gladly the extended warranty was transferred to me.

I guess I didn’t do that much DD before buying her.

However I’m using the extended warranty and Axiom has been great honoring that. 250$ deductible to pay for claim.

Here what I did

- Left rear hub wheel replaced;
- Supercharger coupler replaced;
- Right front upper control arm replaced;
- O2 sensors;
- differential to flush due to a small leak;
- catalytic converters (replaced by Jaguar under the Clean Act)
- coolant pipes;

I think that overall I have probably got under warranty 20k$+ in service value.

The catalytic converters are not covered by the extended warranty but I did find out that Jaguar has a 8 years warranty for anything related emissions.

I spent a lot of time to convince the Jaguar dealership to convice them making the jobs I needed (for instance for a recurrent mil light due to emission, they were keep replacing O2 sensors while instead I was keep telling them that the problem was the catalytic and it took months to get them in the mood of taking care of that).

In your case you might get a good extended warranty, however you are in the hands of God for the catalytic converters since that 8 years warranty is expired most likely).

I have just got back my jag where it was replaced the coolant pipes. I also indicated to have a noise coming from the front when accelerating, however the dealership said that they didn’t find anything and at this point I will take the Jag somewhere else because in October this year the extended warranty will expire and I want all my stuff to get done before then.

I’m sure that the previous owner knew about this issues especially since the mil did turn on on my way home when I bought her.

In 2 years of ownership, I probably had her at the car dealership for 70% of the time.
I made 5,000 miles on her so far.

That jag is a beast. I love her. I just feel that the local Jaguar dealership (Madison WI) is just not adequate to service her.

Originally Posted by DonnyDB5
Hello, all!

2015 Jaguar F-Type R V8 with only 19,000 miles & I am excited yet nervous! I am going through the process with CarMax. It has a clean history, no accidents, only 2 owners. Went through vehicle history on the phone in great detail with the representative. Will not pull the trigger until I actually see/test drive the car.

Should I buy a warranty? I am already toward the top of my budget, so I’m not sure if I should get one or not.

Please, any advice on the car or the purchasing process I will take into consideration. I am a newbie when it comes to Jaguar, but I have also done my research on the F-Type. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-06-2023, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 15 Ftype R from Carmax about 2 months ago and returned it. It just had too many problems and while they were willing to address those problems it was going to take up too much of my time to fix. It's actually re-listed on the platform and I doubt they fixed the issues.

If you do buy from Carmax I highly recommend getting a warranty. The cost to fix things is really high. Also, those first 30 days of test drive are critical to get a PPI and fix as many issues as possible.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by mrlooneytoon
I bought an 15 Ftype R from Carmax about 2 months ago and returned it. It just had too many problems and while they were willing to address those problems it was going to take up too much of my time to fix. It's actually re-listed on the platform and I doubt they fixed the issues.

If you do buy from Carmax I highly recommend getting a warranty. The cost to fix things is really high. Also, those first 30 days of test drive are critical to get a PPI and fix as many issues as possible.
I’m wondering if the F-Type you returned is the one I am looking at. It’s in Gainesville, FL & it’s silver with red/black interior.

Is this the same car you had?

Old 08-07-2023, 02:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnyDB5
Hello, all!

They're idiots. Pay to much. That's why there stock has dropped 95 % in a year. Carmax does the same. And has a same business model.They dont inspect the cars worth a **** either. Both wiĺl be gone soon.

Last edited by 2009 XF Vail; 08-07-2023 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Tears of Unicorns"...OMG, I'm still laughing!!!!!!!!