F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Not Working - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default AC Not Working - Help!

OK, it is 90 degrees here today and the first day since I got the car I have really needed the AC. Turn it on Auto and the AC yellow light is on but warm air keeps coming out. I'm thinking maybe it just needs to run for awhile. It gets warmer and warmer. I manually turn the temperture down to 60 degrees and still no AC. The center vents are up and air is blowing but warm air.

My problem is the nearest dealer is an hour away and I am leaving tomorrow, with the car, to drive to Amelia Island for the Concours this weekend. Not relishing driving in a hot car for 2 hours. Could the dealer have forgotten to add AC refrigerant when the car was delivered? I would add it myself if I could figure out where it goes. I looked in the manual and they tell you what kind of AC refrigerant to use but not where to put it. Am I missing something?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think you have a choice, needs to go to a dealership. It could be the compressor clutch and you might over fill the system. Mine is ice cold.

The following users liked this post:
Lovemonet (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

It's not like the old days when you could buy a few cans of freon from the parts store and a $10 fill valve to do it yourself. Many states require that freon is only distributed to certified refrigeration mechanics. The dealer is your best choice under warranty. Otherwise a local repair shop could troubleshoot it but it will cost you.

Lovemonet (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 PM

OK, I called the dealer. They said they would come pick up,the car tomorrow and leave me a loaner ( very nice considering it is an hour drive each way). However I want to drive my car to Amelia Island tomorrow so will just tough it out until I get back.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
I don't think you have a choice, needs to go to a dealership. It could be the compressor clutch and you might over fill the system. Mine is ice cold.
Yep, it sounds like the compressor is not turning on. The dealer is the only real option.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
OK, it is 90 degrees here today and the first day since I got the car I have really needed the AC. Turn it on Auto and the AC yellow light is on but warm air keeps coming out. I'm thinking maybe it just needs to run for awhile. It gets warmer and warmer. I manually turn the temperture down to 60 degrees and still no AC. The center vents are up and air is blowing but warm air.

My problem is the nearest dealer is an hour away and I am leaving tomorrow, with the car, to drive to Amelia Island for the Concours this weekend. Not relishing driving in a hot car for 2 hours. Could the dealer have forgotten to add AC refrigerant when the car was delivered? I would add it myself if I could figure out where it goes. I looked in the manual and they tell you what kind of AC refrigerant to use but not where to put it. Am I missing something?
Did you check for a bad fuse?

Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Did you check for a bad fuse?
Would the climate control run at all if there was a bad fuse? It is running, the AC yellow light is on, the center vents rise up and air blows out. But only warm air.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not try to get a higher end shop in your area at least look at it.

It may indeed be low on freon due to a leak, but adding some would fix it for a while.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:26 PM

Would the climate control run at all if there was a bad fuse? It is running, the AC yellow light is on, the center vents rise up and air blows out. But only warm air.
Hard to say; the fuse was only a SWAG on my part. This car has a fuse for everything so if the problem turned out to be a fuse, I would not be surprised.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

exact same problem....first it was the heat...now the AC.. the climate control in the 2015 ftype is defective. I already brought it into the dealer for the heat issue.... what a drag. I'm getting angry....especially since the dealer gives such and attitude about the car working correctly when it does not.

Lovemonet (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by johney5
exact same problem....first it was the heat...now the AC.. the climate control in the 2015 ftype is defective. I already brought it into the dealer for the heat issue.... what a drag. I'm getting angry....especially since the dealer gives such and attitude about the car working correctly when it does not.
Interesting to hear it is just not my car. Yes, I had a heat issue associated with the AC but never took in to dealer as I do not need heat very often here. even when it was 40 degrees out and the heat was on, instead of the heat turning off when desired temperture was reached the AC would come on. since it was cooler air that I quickly shut off I did not notice it was not cold air until it hit 90 degrees here and warm air coming from vents.

I am taking it in to dealer tomorrow so will be interesting to see what they find. Will report back after dealer visit.

Unhingd (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 AM

I am at the Jaguar dealer. They have 3 other 2015 models here with this issue. 2 F-Types and one XF. They told me this is a known issue and they already had the part. It is a valve in the compressor that either won't open or stays open and will not close. They are almost done with it. 3 hours. My first service visit and very happy with them.

They also mentioned something about bad freon from China and not wanting to cross contaminate the machines. Not sure what that is about. I was told on the 2015s they have to remove the freon with one machine and put the new freon back in with another machine so it takes longer.

Will follow up when i get home as to whether it is working.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Great! It will work. As I said above, it almost had to be the compressor not operating or a refrigerant leak with everything else working.

Lovemonet (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 PM

I am at the Jaguar dealer. They have 3 other 2015 models here with this issue. 2 F-Types and one XF. They told me this is a known issue and they already had the part. It is a valve in the compressor that either won't open or stays open and will not close. They are almost done with it. 3 hours. My first service visit and very happy with them.

They also mentioned something about bad freon from China and not wanting to cross contaminate the machines. Not sure what that is about. I was told on the 2015s they have to remove the freon with one machine and put the new freon back in with another machine so it takes longer.

Will follow up when i get home as to whether it is working.
Sounds like your problem will be resolved soon.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Glad to hear they know of the problem and have a fix. Just FYI, I don't think they use freon in the US any longer. It's probably R134A or some other similar replacement.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Glad to hear they know of the problem and have a fix. Just FYI, I don't think they use freon in the US any longer. It's probably R134A or some other similar replacement.
You are correct but it is like "Kleenex". No matter what brand people use they still call it Kleenex. No one says "Please get me a Pufs".

AC working great now and hope it continues. Drove home from Orlando in 90 degree heat (until I got to the coast) and stop and go traffic. AC blowing out cold air the whole time.

As I stated above, the Jaguar service was great. I was an hour late due to traffic and they greeted me by name the minute I pulled in. Sat down and asked me lots of questions about what was wrong. Had a car take me to the mall to shop. Called me every hour updating their progress and then picked me up and explained, in detail, what was wrong with the car. Very satisfied customer - other than having to drive to Orlando for service. The traffic there gets more like LA every day.

Last edited by Lovemonet; 03-16-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Lovemonet:
Foosh (03-16-2015), Mulmur (05-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Good to hear that you got great service and that the problem is fixed. I was in Orlando on Saturday and traffic was horrible.

Lovemonet (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Lovemonet is 100% correct. R134A is 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane which DuPont still markets under it's Freon registered trade name. It has used this trade name for most of its refrigerants including the CFCs that have been banned.

Lovemonet (03-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vents blow nothing

Heyo!

I'm having an issue with my my15 FTYPE v6s, where the vents are open but blow no air or heat. I've played around with all the settings and it just won't blow. This issue just randomly started 2 days ago.

Has anyone else run into this?

Old 05-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spyglasscircle
Heyo!

I'm having an issue with my my15 FTYPE v6s, where the vents are open but blow no air or heat. I've played around with all the settings and it just won't blow. This issue just randomly started 2 days ago.

Has anyone else run into this?
First thing I'd check would be all fuses that control the system.

Quick Reply: AC Not Working - Help!