F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing GPS history? And how do you prefer recording?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Accessing GPS history? And how do you prefer recording?

I believe when you own something, you should be able to access everything. If you can't access it or open it, you don't really own it. That phrase was a lot simpler and way more clear cut years ago.
And I also think most "user data" tech companies give us access to or sell us on is meaningless and useless, but hey it's pretty so we're addicted. Like seriously... what are you going to really do with knowing you had 100 steps more than the day before? I am doing everything in my power to break tech addiction, so I'm back to a flip phone. ZERO issues in reverse adoption, but one thing: GPS Data.

I like to look at my drives as art, because we have some world class drives around here, and it's sort of fun to collect loops as pretty images. I had thought storing my smartphone with no data connection, but GPS turned on, would allow my phone to track within maps and my Google Timeline (which is a REALLY fun and useful little part of maps, if you're not a privacy warrior). Turns out it definitely won't work without triangulation of towers.

I have to check because it's possible that the Waylens camera itself is doing the GPS route tracking (but the battery ran out on my last trip, and I really need to power it)... it records GPS well enough, but no way am I using my OBD b/c the battery drain glitch.

So... that leaves me with either drawing google maps (imperfect waste of time), or extracting what I imagine to be KLM file data or something from my car? Does the In Control have an online portal for something like that? Currently, I can't reset my password, for some glitchy reason on the website's part. =/

Anyhoo... who else appreciates timeline, or uses GPS, or doesn't care? Cheers!

Old 03-02-2021, 05:10 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

You can email individual journey data from the remote app to your registered account. Not sure what format it's in, anyone know?
I guess you can do the same thing after logging in to the InControl web site.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

So odd--> I found a really odd/weird/wrong URL that was jag incontrol login. I found the right one and holy cow I had no idea!!!! TY!!!!
So fun... DL data inclusive of even more stuff than is on the site, but I've my pretty map. I love the sortability and that you get spreadsheets of data.
And that it has every drive logged is amazing. This must be a wildly underutilized feature.

Super fun. Here was that drive, WAY shorter than I thought, but out of cell range after a pothole and then white knuckling the 500 ft cliffs with my vertigo, you can see where I turned around LOL
It's sort of exciting I can parse and manage tech addiction and still have my fun. Cake and eating it too?!?!
Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
scm (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
You can email individual journey data from the remote app to your registered account. Not sure what format it's in, anyone know?
I guess you can do the same thing after logging in to the InControl web site.
Spreadsheet in *.CSV
Start date Start time End date End time Start location Start coordinates End location End coordinates Duration (HH:MM) Distance(miles) Efficiency(mpg) Average speed(mph)

The following users liked this post:
scm (03-03-2021)