Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ace of "Base"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default The Ace of "Base"

My thoughts precisely, but I am biased in my base manual. But definitely my logic coming from a 190hp truck.

.2 seconds isn't worth the cost for me. Still fun read. The tag line at the bottom is what can make owners of any version of this car proud:

"Not every base model aces it. The ones that do make the entire auto landscape better".

Hopefully the authors didnt note a 4cyl diesel.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-f-type-coupe/

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
amr42 (12-05-2016), TwiztOG43 (11-29-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
My thoughts precisely, but I am biased in my base manual. But definitely my logic coming from a 190hp truck.

.2 seconds isn't worth the cost for me. Still fun read. The tag line at the bottom is what can make owners of any version of this car proud:

"Not every base model aces it. The ones that do make the entire auto landscape better".

Hopefully the authors didnt note a 4cyl diesel.

Ace of Base, Reader Suggestion: 2017 Jaguar F-Type Coupe
I just picked a 2017 f-type base with just the climate package (heated seats and steering wheel) I absolutely love it, I weighted up the price differences between the base and the s. I am coming from a bmw 335 and was shocked when I saw what came standard with the base f-type. I mean standard with a navi, 770w median sound system, even the base seats with the suede in the middle looks nice to me. Audi owners pay more for seats with suede in the middle like that. Bottom line with 340hp stock and I just picked up a vap tune which is supposed to bump you up to 415hp. I mean that's more than an s.. I am not disappointed that I got the base, the only thing I wish I had is awd instead of rear. other than that I say pull the trigger on the base not the s. also the base wheels are even beautiful for base wheels .

Last edited by drewguy; 12-05-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:35 PM

I guess the specs of the base model also have influence. In my market the entry 340hp version doesn't has all the features that apparantly come standard here.

Most important benefits for me (S model) are the extra power, LSD and performance upgrades.

But also on the S for example, the Meridian sound system is an option... I assume the US cars have more options that come as standard then EU cars.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by -krikke-
I guess the specs of the base model also have influence. In my market the entry 340hp version doesn't has all the features that apparantly come standard here.

Most important benefits for me (S model) are the extra power, LSD and performance upgrades.

But also on the S for example, the Meridian sound system is an option... I assume the US cars have more options that come as standard then EU cars.
i forgot about the lsd but honestly besides the lsd , wheels , and cooling upgrade. Performance wise a tune will fill in the gap. Performance aside handful of options come standard.. for me wasn't worth the msrp jump from a base to an s

Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

My car is far from the base, manual tranny coupe in the article, but I agree with the author; good article.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Over here the base doesnt come with the adaptive suspension unless it is ordered as an option at vast expense. The base suspension is harder than the normal setting in the adaptive, and that is a killer for someone like me who is used to a more comfortable ride in a daily driver.

But if I wanted a fun car for the weekend, the base in a manual would be perfect.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am coming from a bmw 335 and was shocked when I saw what came standard with the base f-type. I mean standard with a navi, 770w median sound system, even the base seats with the suede in the middle looks nice to me. Audi owners pay more for seats with suede in the middle like that.
Xactly. For the BMWs and Cayman I also considered of course everything was optional (especially Porsche: $$ for stuff that's standard on a $35,000 Kia) and the F-Type Base MT just stood out as a killer deal. Plus, the base manual includes the switchable exhaust. In fact the only thing from the S that I valued at all was the LSD, but the reality is it'll rarely be missed. (The Base has Dynamic Mode but without ability to change individual component settings, but would likely never use them.)

And you still get the F-type lines, stance, and proportions. At a regional Italian car meet last summer the F-Type caught the same attention and stares as the exotica. I didn't tell anyone that the transaction price was, oh, 4 times less than the price of the cheapest new Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I personally would have opted for the base model if the LSD, switchable active exhaust and Super Performance Brakes had been available options. Anteing up for the S was unfortunately a necessity for me.

The following users liked this post:
drbill (12-09-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I personally would have opted for the base model if the LSD, switchable active exhaust and Super Performance Brakes had been available options. Anteing up for the S was unfortunately a necessity for me.
understandable, in my area the inventory for an s the msrp is a huge bump up from the base so I didn't have a choice but to stick with base . I'm very happy mine came with the climate package though that the navi and sound system is all I needed anyway . and now with the vap tune coming soon I am pretty happy with what I have

Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drewguy
... and now with the vap tune coming soon I am pretty happy with what I have
.. and you are going to get a whole lot happier real soon!

Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a great car and I think the best value for money in the line up - I chose the S primarily for the LSD as I plan to do a lot of driving through the new England winter and wanted as much help as I could get in the manual for ice and snow situations.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (12-14-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by drewguy
even the base seats with the suede in the middle looks nice to me. Audi owners pay more for seats with suede in the middle like that.
Funny to read the comment above. An acquaintance who just recently left a position as a Porsche new car sales manager, came over and saw my F-Type. When he saw the seats which have the standard base suede inserts he commented how great they looked and how I was wise to upgrade the seats to get that look!

I liked the way the suede looked when I saw my first F-Type in a showroom. I thought about upgrading to the leather inserts when I put my order in last year but in the end stayed with my first choice of keeping the suede inserts. Hoping they hold up over time.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
It's a great car and I think the best value for money in the line up - I chose the S primarily for the LSD as I plan to do a lot of driving through the new England winter and wanted as much help as I could get in the manual for ice and snow situations.
I do regret not getting the "S" once every 3 months for about 2 seconds.... but yes, the breaks, and the LSD. DUH.

I am not divulging too much to suggest that I never read that acronym to be limited slip differential, however.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I am not divulging too much to suggest that I never read that acronym to be limited slip differential, however.

Either way, you're trippin', man!