Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust Ordering Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Exhaust Ordering Question

Hi People!
I'm a new joint trying to figure out a probably dumb question.

I want to get the loudest evil exhaust possible on a V6S Coupe...
- Do I need to order the active exhaust switch option( In which you must order the Performance Package)?
- Or is it standard on the V6S Coupe...I just need to be in Dynamic mode in order to hear the loudest snap, crackle and pops?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't own an F Type (yet), but having run through the configurator a few times...

Yes, I think you get active exhaust standard in the V6 S, and it is switched on in dynamic mode without needing the switch.

However, if you want to avoid the performance pack cost (including the upgraded brakes, exhaust switch option, configuarable dynamics and various other features) then you are paying a LOT of $$$ to get the extra 40hp (and negligible torque increase) over the V6 base.

I have seen a Euro tuner offering V6 base (or V6 S) SOFTWARE tune to 400hp (ziptuning.com) which must be similar to the Jag's standard S tune (as they both have the same engine). No idea on the cost of the tune, but its probably 10% of the cost of upgrading to the 'S' if you dont want the other features included in the performance pack.

So, maybe get the base and a tune and save some $$$?

(Actually, I don't see how the 'S' pops or crackles more than the base (fitted with the active exhaust) anyway, but maybe it does...)

Last edited by mshedden; 10-13-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the Tuner upgrade info! As of now I would like to keep it all stock.
I test drove a V6S convertible without the Active Exhaust Switch. I swear I had Dynamic Mode engaged and Sport Mode selector on the gears. It wasn't close to the loud sounds I hear on videos or the V8R I test drove at a different dealership. I thought it was as simple as switching on the Dynamic mode too.
Most dealerships in my area have convertibles or V8Rs...no Coupe V6S

Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

The V6S makes a very different sound than the V8S. I had assumed that dynamic mode would be the same as turning on switchable active exhaust, but I don't think that's the case - seems like I really have to get on the throttle to get some of the sounds. I've discovered using the paddles shifters in dynamic+sport gives me upshift blips that I don't get in dynamic only unless I hammer it.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

From the technical manual for the active exhaust system:
When there is no active sports exhaust switch fitted or when the active sports exhaust switch is set to ‘Off’, the exhaust valve position is closed when driving in mid speed and load conditions, then open for high speed and load conditions. This serves to both enhance the sound quality in the vehicle and reduce back pressure to enhance engine performance.
When the active sports exhaust switch is set to ‘On’ the exhaust valves open over the majority of the engine speed and load range to further enhance the sports driving experience, only closing where specific engine operating conditions dictate.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Roger all that. So it looks like you need the switch to hear all the glory. I really had to get on the V6S convertible to hear a few crackles.
...Or just get a V8R...yikes.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I can't specifically answer your question, but this i how things work in my V8 R:

- exhaust button, opens up the exhaust. can be used anytime. makes nicer tone but not ridiculous base on normal driving.
- dynamic mode. automatically opens up the exhaust. plus it tightens the steering, suspension, throttle. You can definitely feel the change in steering and throttle sensitivity. but under normal driving the sound is again not too ridiculous.
- sport mode. changes how the gear shifts work. you can be in sport mode any time (i.e., w/o being in dynamic mode). rpms are held longer, down shifts in corners, etc.

dynamic + sport = ridiculous and obnoxious, just the way I like it

exhaust + sport might give you the sound you want without the tighter steering and throttle response.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The base V6 comes standard with both dynamic and sport modes, and you can order the exhaust switch al la carte, without paying for the performance package on the V6S.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gyrene991
Hi People!
- Do I need to order the active exhaust switch option( In which you must order the Performance Package)?
- Or is it standard on the V6S Coupe...I just need to be in Dynamic mode in order to hear the loudest snap, crackle and pops?

Thanks!

It's only $200 on the configurator so just get it. In the base model V6 the car is built with active exhaust turned off, so you need to pay $1,500 for the active exhaust button if you want that feature. But on the V6S, I think the car comes with active exhaust turned on by default, so the only thing you get by buying the button is that you can make it quieter if you want to. But Jaguar's guides, the configurator and their dealers are really not that helpful, and often confusing, so you should just pay the $200 and get the button to be safe.

Active Sport Exhaust

Let your F-TYPE roar. Engage Dynamic Mode to activate bypass valves in the exhaust system and produce a more exhilarating sound during performance driving. Standard on the F-TYPE S.

Switchable Active Sport Exhaust

$220
With a push of a button on the center console, bypass valves activate the exhaust system and produce a louder, richer, more exhilarating sound.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, you can't simply order the switch without also ordering the "active sport exhaust." It's not "off", per se, in the base car, which is equipped with what JLR calls the "sport exhaust," and does not have the openable valves. On the "active sport exhaust" the valves are either opened or closed depending upon whether you're in dynamic mode or not.

With the additional $200 switch, you can open or close the valves regardless of mode, but you still need the $1500 "active sport exhaust" to make that happen. Thus, you can't just order a $200 switch on base car with the "sport exhaust." If you could, it couldn't do anything because there are no valves to open.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Was reading back through this thread, and I think your question's been answered several times, but with a lot of additional info, which can get a little confusing.

So, I thought I'd boil this down to the most simple:

In your OP, it sounded to me as if having the louder and switchable exhaust is your top priority, and if that is the case, you don't have to order the V6S to get what you want. For $1700 ($1500 active exhaust and $200 switch), you can have the same thing on the base car at a considerable discount.

Also FYI, in the base car without active exhaust, you still get a considerable amount of "popping and crackling" when in dynamic + sport mode and primarily when paddle shifting. It's just not quite as loud.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I can't specifically answer your question, but this i how things work in my V8 R:

- exhaust button, opens up the exhaust. can be used anytime. makes nicer tone but not ridiculous base on normal driving.
- dynamic mode. automatically opens up the exhaust. plus it tightens the steering, suspension, throttle. You can definitely feel the change in steering and throttle sensitivity. but under normal driving the sound is again not too ridiculous.
- sport mode. changes how the gear shifts work. you can be in sport mode any time (i.e., w/o being in dynamic mode). rpms are held longer, down shifts in corners, etc.

dynamic + sport = ridiculous and obnoxious, just the way I like it

exhaust + sport might give you the sound you want without the tighter steering and throttle response.
Shift, in my R, I also like the Dynamic + Sport for fun and sound, but not the tighter steering and suspension for normal driving. So, I configured the dynamic mode to leave the steering and suspension in the standard mode.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

I ordered my car with the switchable active exhaust option (S66A/$1500) and the car has active sports exhaust (S65B) standard...I do not see a $200 switch option since it's included with the optional exhaust and is on the console...correct?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Lots of great info people!
I'm still a bit confused but I'll just find a V6S coupe to drive. But I want an S at the very least...for now. Here's a few bullet points too that might help others.
- although on the S coupe configurator says the switch is only $220, once you pick it it says you have to buy the $3,400 performance package too.
- if active sport exhaust was standard on the V6s convert I drove. You might be disappointed that it's not loud enough even in dynamic mode. The V8R exhaust I test drove made your toes curl! And I had the sports exhaust on my 991S
- safe bet to get the exhaust switch or a V8R

Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I ordered my car with the switchable active exhaust option (S66A/$1500) and the car has active sports exhaust (S65B) standard...I do not see a $200 switch option since it's included with the optional exhaust and is on the console...correct?

The switch is $1,500 on the base model F-Type; $200 on the V6S. On the base model, its purpose is to make the car louder. On the V6S, its purpose is to make the car quieter. I think that's how it works but the guides are a little confusing.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Lots of great info people!
- although on the S coupe configurator says the switch is only $220, once you pick it it says you have to buy the $3,400 performance package too.

That's weird. Dealerships have tons of V6S and V8S with the sport exhaust button but without the $3,400 performance package.

By the way -- even if you get the V8S convertible with the sport exhaust button, which I have and which reporters say has the loudest exhaust of all F-Types, it still won't be as loud as a Lamborghini for 0-20mph driving. For example, if you're stopped at a light, and you make a right turn, a Lambo will be noticeably louder than the F-Type. The F-Type doesn't get loud until you push down on the pedal a bit.
So if you really want a loud supercar exhaust you'll have to modify it later any way.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lunagry
That's weird. Dealerships have tons of V6S and V8S with the sport exhaust button but without the $3,400 performance package.

By the way -- even if you get the V8S convertible with the sport exhaust button, which I have and which reporters say has the loudest exhaust of all F-Types, it still won't be as loud as a Lamborghini for 0-20mph driving. For example, if you're stopped at a light, and you make a right turn, a Lambo will be noticeably louder than the F-Type. The F-Type doesn't get loud until you push down on the pedal a bit.
So if you really want a loud supercar exhaust you'll have to modify it later any way.
Yes this all adds to my confusion..ugh. The linkage to the performance pak might be a new thing on the configurator.
Having driving a V8r I can at least confirm that's about the noise level I want inside and out the cabin. Reviews I read say the V8 and V6 are close in loudness.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

Yes this all adds to my confusion..ugh. The linkage to the performance pak might be a new thing on the configurator.
Having driving a V8r I can at least confirm that's about the noise level I want inside and out the cabin. Reviews I read say the V8 and V6 are close in loudness.
Actually as I look at inventory, a V6S or V8S with the button but without the full performance pack is rare. Mine has the button, performance seat, extended leather but not some of the other performance pack features (no square steering wheel, no red calipers).

So it looks like you'll need to buy the performance pack, which is a good option any way. I like replacing the plastic on the dash with leather, and the performance seats are very useful for making sure your seat belt is easy to grab.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Yes the performance pak has some nice goodies. That package would probably cost 7k on a porsche and you would still have to get the exhaust for 3k!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Banned

here's what I mean about Lambos and other supercars just being loud all the time, even at 5mph or so

at high-revs the F-Type's sound might be comparable to these though

Quick Reply: Active Exhaust Ordering Question