F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust Problem - not closing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Post Active Exhaust Problem - not closing?

Hi, I've got a 2014 V8S convertible with about 10,000 miles on the clock.

A couple of months back I started hearing an intermitent "chirping" noise coming from the rear of the car, which I thought was something to do with the suspension, though was not convinced. Since it was not a regular occurrence I'd put it to the back of my mind.

However now over the last couple of outings I have a problem whereby the exhaust doesn't appear to shut off from "noisy" mode when switched first time.

I'm now guessing the two may be linked

Has anybody else had something similar occur?

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
hyunbeen park (07-20-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenton
Hi, I've got a 2014 V8S convertible with about 10,000 miles on the clock.

A couple of months back I started hearing an intermitent "chirping" noise coming from the rear of the car, which I thought was something to do with the suspension, though was not convinced. Since it was not a regular occurrence I'd put it to the back of my mind.

However now over the last couple of outings I have a problem whereby the exhaust doesn't appear to shut off from "noisy" mode when switched first time.

I'm now guessing the two may be linked

Has anybody else had something similar occur?

Cheers
I've not had any problems with the car, in your case seems like a visit to the dealer is in order...likely a simple fix.
Lawrence

Old 07-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have issues with mine not closing but I did have a quick chirp around a certain RPM. Turned out to be the exhaust valves, dealer ended up replacing the whole muffler assembly under warranty. I'd just bring it in.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:40 AM

It's already booked in for the vertical scratching of the windows, new window seals etc.

Guess I'll add exhaust investigation to the list!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Fenton
...I have a problem whereby the exhaust doesn't appear to shut off from "noisy" mode...

How is that a "problem"?

burnie (08-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I can hear my exhaust valves open and close...they kinda squeak. It's a harsh environment so I imagine failures aren't unheard of.

Dave

Fenton (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

There was a TSB for the squeaky exhaust valve, I know of a few cars that had the rear muffler replaced under warranty because of the squeak.

The valves staying open might be related, or it could be something different. I have also seen one car where the valves stayed open, again it was fixed by a dealer, under warranty.

There is also another TSB about removing the vacuum pump that is used to operate the exhaust valves, and using the manifold vacuum to operate the valves instead. This was because the vacuum pump was said to be "noisy" but you never know if it was maybe because the vacuum pump is unreliable...

I believe newer cars like 2016MY don't have the vacuum pump anymore, they just use the manifold vacuum... if that's actually the case, there is probably a valid reason for it...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Fenton (07-04-2016), hyunbeen park (07-20-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 01:48 PM

So I got the car back from the dealers - solution new exhaust/muffler back box fitted (ouch) .... luckily covered by warranty

Old 07-30-2016, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

This is about the 5th or 6th active exhaust muffler replacement reported here in the more than 2 years I've been on this forum.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Hmm...

The exhaust on the "shopping car" 330ci runs off manifold vacuum. Or, it would, if the pipe were still connected.

Good that it was fixed under warrantee.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The muffler on our 2014 V8s was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago. We could hear an odd noise when letting off the gas at high rpms and brought it in for service. They replaced the muffler under warranty but the odd sound is still there.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
There was a TSB for the squeaky exhaust valve, I know of a few cars that had the rear muffler replaced under warranty because of the squeak.

The valves staying open might be related, or it could be something different. I have also seen one car where the valves stayed open, again it was fixed by a dealer, under warranty.

There is also another TSB about removing the vacuum pump that is used to operate the exhaust valves, and using the manifold vacuum to operate the valves instead. This was because the vacuum pump was said to be "noisy" but you never know if it was maybe because the vacuum pump is unreliable...

I believe newer cars like 2016MY don't have the vacuum pump anymore, they just use the manifold vacuum... if that's actually the case, there is probably a valid reason for it...
Three months ago I bought an R 2014 and it took a little over a month to verify that the exhaust valve is always open. I have a 2 year warranty so I took it to fix. The warranty says that it takes over the vacuum pump but the shop says they have to change the entire rear part of the exhaust. Is it necessary to change everything? The guarantee says that it does not take over. Maybe in the Jaguar workshop they do not know much about the subject ...

Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mack
Three months ago I bought an R 2014 and it took a little over a month to verify that the exhaust valve is always open. I have a 2 year warranty so I took it to fix. The warranty says that it takes over the vacuum pump but the shop says they have to change the entire rear part of the exhaust. Is it necessary to change everything? The guarantee says that it does not take over. Maybe in the Jaguar workshop they do not know much about the subject ...
If the actual problem is with the muffler valves, there is no choice but to replace the whole muffler. The valves are welded in and not replaceable. The VAP Valvetronic muffler resolves that issue since the valves are bolt-ons.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I would think the vacuum pump or solenoid would fail before the valves would get stuck. (They're normally open, and require vacuum to close.)

You could also confirm that the previous owner didn't remove fuse F43 (under the passenger footwell.) This disables the active exhaust vacuum pump, and leaves the valves open all the time. That's the way I'm currently running.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

they don't get stuck the bushing material on the early units can cause squeaking. the news ones are a sintered bronze style to eliminate the squeaking. it only happens on a few cars and have seen maybe 5 replaced and we're a large dealer

DJS (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Good to know. Mine squeak, which is why I removed the fuse.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you very much to all. I will watch the fuse. The surprising thing is that the exhaust sounds thunderous even though the valve is not completely open!

Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone had this issue on cpo warranty? My closest dealer said the exhaust system isn't covered under cpo...I found that hard to believe as Porsche and Aston covers the exhaust with no issue. Basically they said the actuator on mine was fine, the switch was fine but the vacuum line was not and it's a fix around 180$, thoughts? BTW its a 2016 AWD V8R

Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

If the actual problem is with the muffler valves, there is no choice but to replace the whole muffler. The valves are welded in and not replaceable.
Good to know this....

I was just in at the dealership for a spoiler deployment issue and decided to also mention (yes, first world problem) that it sounded like my F-type wasn't purring as it used to. Even in active exhaust, there were very few pops and crackles. The last time I reported this issue was in July 2019 during my annual service -- at that time they "found rear left muffler control chamber vacuum hose disconnected". They reconnected the hose and all was fine.

This time, I was told that the muffler valves were stuck or not opening/closing properly. So, they've now ordered a new muffler (under warranty) -- should get this issue fixed early next week. I'll update this thread once the work is done.

I guess you can add a MY2018 R-Dynamic to the list of F-types with a replacement muffler.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Good to know this....

I was just in at the dealership for a spoiler deployment issue and decided to also mention (yes, first world problem) that it sounded like my F-type wasn't purring as it used to. Even in active exhaust, there were very few pops and crackles. The last time I reported this issue was in July 2019 during my annual service -- at that time they "found rear left muffler control chamber vacuum hose disconnected". They reconnected the hose and all was fine.

This time, I was told that the muffler valves were stuck or not opening/closing properly. So, they've now ordered a new muffler (under warranty) -- should get this issue fixed early next week. I'll update this thread once the work is done.

I guess you can add a MY2018 R-Dynamic to the list of F-types with a replacement muffler.

UPDATE -- Got my new OEM muffler/exhaust. There is a noticeable difference in the sound while driving and toggling between the modes. Not sure why I didn't realize that a new exhaust would include new chrome tips -- nice to have new ones that are sparkling clean

Here's the work order summary in case this happens to someone else:

Quick Reply: Active Exhaust Problem - not closing?