F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Exhaust Question

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of buying myself a 2016 F-type. Test drive is next friday now that the lockdown in the UK has been slackened.

I have a question in regards to the exhaust; The car i'm looking at buying doesn't have the switch for the active exhaust sadly (why they wouldn't add it I have no idea) but my understanding is that all of the cars have an active exhaust system fitted as standard which is activated by using the Dynamic Mode if the switch purely for the exhaust isn't there.

Is this correct? Do all the cars have an active exhaust fitted but the switch was an optional extra only on the base F-type? The listing for the car only says "twin exhaust pipe" with no mention of an active exhaust however i've seen listings for the exact same model car and it does have the active exhaust listed with no switch installed.

Very strange but thanks for any insight?

Old 04-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2016 F type R. There should be an easy way to check.

Since I just had to replace my muffler due to damage, I cut off my tail pipes from the old one just in case I even need them as spares. If you get under the car and look up at the tail pipes - you'll note some come off the muffler with no devices on the pipe (tubing) - just the run back and perhaps a support hangar. If there is the active exhaust elements, you'll instead also see tubes that have a valve in them (small length of the tubing) - the telltales are the valve stems protruding down from the pipe and the black plastic diaphragm actuator mounted immediately adjacent each valve with a rod connecting the actuator to the valves. They are butterfly valves if that means anything to you.

In my case the inner two pipes (tubes) are connected to the muffled portion of the muffler 'can' on the rear portion and simply come strait back. The outer two pipes are the ones with the valves. they connect to a less muffled (un-muffled?) section of the muffler can on each side - run outward slightly, then turn 90 degrees rearward. Shortly behind that you'll see the butterfly valves (my valve stems are sticking down), then the pipe comes out of the rear of the car. These are the active pieces - when the vacuum signal does it's work the valves change position and make more sound.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Base models like our '14 did not have active exhaust fitted at all. No switch, no problematic sticky exhaust valving, lighter weight.
(Can you tell I'm rationalizing?)

Not sure if it could be specified as an option in the build sheet from new. Our TOPiX showed $12K in options but not that.

I WILL say that you can definitely hear the exhaust roar under acceleration, and the POPs under decel. You just need to be tuned-in to those sweet sounds.

The following users liked this post:
SJones (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
I have a 2016 F type R. There should be an easy way to check.

Since I just had to replace my muffler due to damage, I cut off my tail pipes from the old one just in case I even need them as spares. If you get under the car and look up at the tail pipes - you'll note some come off the muffler with no devices on the pipe (tubing) - just the run back and perhaps a support hangar. If there is the active exhaust elements, you'll instead also see tubes that have a valve in them (small length of the tubing) - the telltales are the valve stems protruding down from the pipe and the black plastic diaphragm actuator mounted immediately adjacent each valve with a rod connecting the actuator to the valves. They are butterfly valves if that means anything to you.

In my case the inner two pipes (tubes) are connected to the muffled portion of the muffler 'can' on the rear portion and simply come strait back. The outer two pipes are the ones with the valves. they connect to a less muffled (un-muffled?) section of the muffler can on each side - run outward slightly, then turn 90 degrees rearward. Shortly behind that you'll see the butterfly valves (my valve stems are sticking down), then the pipe comes out of the rear of the car. These are the active pieces - when the vacuum signal does it's work the valves change position and make more sound.
Thanks for info. I got my question answered elsewhere too. Apparently the active exhaust for the 2016 cars onwards come as standard and not an option however the button to have the valves open IS an option but I guess I could just run the car in dynamic mode (or pull the fuse) so the valves are open all the time.

Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Active exhaust was an option on the base V6, standard on other models. Check out the brochure for MY16 (not that these brochures are 100% accurate)...
https://www.auto-brochures.com/jaguar.html

Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I did a massive thread on this. Every question regarding the exhaust system can be found here.

*ULTIMATE* Active/Passive Exhaust Thread - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (04-12-2021)