F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active exhaust Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active exhaust Retrofit?

As ill be buying in the next few months now that base F-types have fallen into my price range. I still have yet to find a straight answer as to whether or not the active exhaust can be retro-fitted to a model that doesn't have it? Or would at least be possible to swap out the muffler with an active one and stick the valves to "open" setting?

Old 01-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by spectremotorsports
As ill be buying in the next few months now that base F-types have fallen into my price range. I still have yet to find a straight answer as to whether or not the active exhaust can be retro-fitted to a model that doesn't have it? Or would at least be possible to swap out the muffler with an active one and stick the valves to "open" setting?
Adding the physical valving, piping and can would be no issue, but tying it into to the electronics will be difficult if not impossible. Even if that's resolved, the parts and pieces to stick with the OEM components will probably bring you back close to the V6S price range.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Adding the physical valving, piping and can would be no issue, but tying it into to the electronics will be difficult if not impossible. Even if that's resolved, the parts and pieces to stick with the OEM components will probably bring you back close to the V6S price range.
Ahh I see, would adding the pipes and just leaving the valve open sans electronics with maybe a golf tee mod work? I know that worked on the Maser Granturismo active exhaust. Otherwise, quicksilver seems to be the only aftermarket exhaust available for the V6 and there's only like 3 videos out there of it installed, so I cant really tell if I actually like the sound.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

I've been toying with this idea for a while now. You'll need the rear muffler box and the center exhaust pipe.

-T2R14178 (Muffler Box)
-T2R2620 (Center intermediate pipe)

The active exhaust valves default to open position. So in theory, you won't need the electronics. I have the base model and ended up removing the pre-muffler and welded on straight pipes.

The following users liked this post:
spectremotorsports (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I've been toying with this idea for a while now. You'll need the rear muffler box and the center exhaust pipe.

-T2R14178 (Muffler Box)
-T2R2620 (Center intermediate pipe)

The active exhaust valves default to open position. So in theory, you won't need the electronics. I have the base model and ended up removing the pre-muffler and welded on straight pipes.
How does it sound with the pre-muffler removed?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:26 PM

How does it sound with the pre-muffler removed?
I documented everything. Video doesn't do it any justice.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-go-do-144784/

The following users liked this post:
spectremotorsports (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I documented everything. Video doesn't do it any justice.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-go-do-144784/

That actually sounds really good. Is it deeper in person than it is on the video? I like the crackle and pop, but I'm looking for a slightly deeper tone.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 PM

It is marginally deeper in person.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not impossible. I could do it. It's just a setting in the CCF.

There's a 2007 XK here in Sydney that has been fitted with the active rear muffler from an XKR, we looked at fitting the vacuum system to operate the valves but the owner was happy enough with the sound with the valves locked in position.

He also dyno'd the car with the valves locked open and closed, made no difference to the measured power, just the noise.

So think long and hard if it's worth the expense of buying an active rear muffler if you aren't going to use it as an active unit.

If you just want noise then any decent exhaust shop should be able to make it louder for you.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a question that is in a bit of a tangent...
What if I have the switchable active exhaust, but want to make it always on. It's obviously not that important, since there is a button to turn it on, but is there another way to keep it always on. I wouldn't mind losing the ability to turn it off as I feel a sports car should be loud and angry, even if I'm feeling mellow and lazy.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Just get a quicksilver exhaust. If I were doing it again, I'd get my base without the active exhaust and instead would purchase and install the quicksilver exhaust

Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
Just get a quicksilver exhaust. If I were doing it again, I'd get my base without the active exhaust and instead would purchase and install the quicksilver exhaust
I'm considering this. my only issue is theres like a total of 3 videos with the quicksilver exhaust and none of the really give me a decent look at what it sounds like. I'm hesitant to spend that much on exhaust without a decent vid representing the sound.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
I have a question that is in a bit of a tangent...
What if I have the switchable active exhaust, but want to make it always on. It's obviously not that important, since there is a button to turn it on, but is there another way to keep it always on. I wouldn't mind losing the ability to turn it off as I feel a sports car should be loud and angry, even if I'm feeling mellow and lazy.
Pull the fuse.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm considering this. my only issue is theres like a total of 3 videos with the quicksilver exhaust and none of the really give me a decent look at what it sounds like. I'm hesitant to spend that much on exhaust without a decent vid representing the sound.
All you need to see if this chart (under Sound Jaguar F Type V6 Coupe and Convertible - SPORT Exhaust System (2014 on) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems) . The exhaust will only make it louder and not really change any characteristics of it.