F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active exhaust valves fuses F43 F15

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Active exhaust valves fuses F43 F15

This morning i tried removing the F43 fuse to keep the exhaust valves always open on my 2017 F-Type 3.0 S, but nothing changed.
I then discovered that on 2017+ models there are two fuses for active exhaust: F43 and F15.
Anyone knows what F43 and F15 respectively controls?
Do I have to remove both? Or F15 only?
I read in other posts that removing F15 will put the car in Limp Mode.
So anyone knows a way to keep the exhaust valves open all the time?
I am thinking of disconnecting the tubes connected to the valves, but I don't know if I have to close them in some way.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

I remove sometimes Fuse 43, always open!

Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bcbruno
I remove sometimes Fuse 43, always open!
This is valid only for 2014, 2015 and 2016 models

Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

No fuse 43 in my MY18 V8R.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just press the button upon startup. Save yourself the headache.

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (08-15-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

It's F15 under hood on the 2020 R. Definitely does not go into limp mode.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 AM

Just removed F15 and it woooooorks
I put back F43 before removing F15. Do you know why 2017 models have both F43 and F15?

Old 04-24-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dren
Just removed F15 and it woooooorks
I put back F43 before removing F15. Do you know why 2017 models have both F43 and F15?
Sorry no, 2020 does not have a fuse #43.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:29 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag Bass
Sorry no, 2020 does not have a fuse #43.
Seems like it was removed from MY18.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:59 PM

This is my Active exhaust control solution. Same concept as the mild to wild remote switch for the Corvette active exhaust valves.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-43-a-213500/
See post #17.

Believe me when I say, once you do this you will change your mind about needing to replace the exhaust system. Decently tame but when you get into it very noticeable. Paddle shifting through the gears is a whole different story, very cool. This mod gives you the ability to return thing back to the cars active exhaust control at any time you desire.

Last edited by Jag Bass; 04-24-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:27 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Bass
It's F15 under hood on the 2020 R. Definitely does not go into limp mode.
Same with my 2018 V6 Base. Pulled F15 and active exhaust is now always on and it does NOT go into reduced performance mode. I'll report back if it does after a few ignition cycles.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:07 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderjag
Just press the button upon startup. Save yourself the headache.
There are times when I just want to travel home in stealth mode, being a red F-Type with a carbon fiber spoiler alone draws attention, the last thing I need at times is to be making racket.
The button is the cat's ***.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:20 PM

Do you know what happen if i remove F43 too?
Removing F15 i get more noise already, but i don't understand why my MY2017 V6S has both F15 and F43

Old 08-18-2021, 08:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

My Owners Manual for my 2021 type R has a schematic of the 3 fuse boxes in the car. Each of the fuse positions are numbered and the Manual identifies each of those positions, the fuse rating and what function runs thru that fuse. #15 clearly shows it is the active exhaust valve system. It appears the valve is spring loaded to have the valve wide open and the valve modulates towards the close position depending on several variables...speed, rpm's, fuel flow rate, driving mode, etc. If the Jag system is the same as the C7 Corvette system, the valve never "always" stay open, regardless of what mode you are in (normal, sport and track)....track is certainly the most aggressive and the valve is open most of the time, but given the right circumstances, the butterfly will briefly move toward the closed position. Pulling the fuse is the only sure way that the valve stays wide open....no power to move the valve butterfly and it's spring loaded open.

Along the way, someone asked if operating the car with the subject fuse pulled could damage the catalytic convertors. I can't see why it would and never experienced any problems with the fuse pulled in my C7 Z06, but am I missing something with the type R?

Fireze22 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by tzoid9
My Owners Manual for my 2021 type R has a schematic of the 3 fuse boxes in the car. Each of the fuse positions are numbered and the Manual identifies each of those positions, the fuse rating and what function runs thru that fuse. #15 clearly shows it is the active exhaust valve system. It appears the valve is spring loaded to have the valve wide open and the valve modulates towards the close position depending on several variables...speed, rpm's, fuel flow rate, driving mode, etc. If the Jag system is the same as the C7 Corvette system, the valve never "always" stay open, regardless of what mode you are in (normal, sport and track)....track is certainly the most aggressive and the valve is open most of the time, but given the right circumstances, the butterfly will briefly move toward the closed position. Pulling the fuse is the only sure way that the valve stays wide open....no power to move the valve butterfly and it's spring loaded open.

Along the way, someone asked if operating the car with the subject fuse pulled could damage the catalytic convertors. I can't see why it would and never experienced any problems with the fuse pulled in my C7 Z06, but am I missing something with the type R?
I have a 2021 5.0 V8 (not R), when I Start the engine with open valve (exhaust button pushed), you can hear the high sound exhaust and if you give a bit of gas after the first roar start or if you starts immediatly, the exhaust valve stays open only for a while making the tipical nascar sound, then the valve closes and silences the engine. Only after 3300 rpm the valve reopens. So I suppose like you there is a spring exhaust valve . So lets pull the fuse 15. We need to test first to confirm

Last edited by spegor; 08-19-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spegor
I have a 2021 5.0 V8 (not R), when I Start the engine with open valve (exhaust button pushed), you can hear the high sound exhaust and if you give a bit of gas after the first roar start or if you starts immediatly, the exhaust valve stays open only for a while making the tipical nascar sound, then the valve closes and silences the engine.
What happens if you start it in dynamic mode (no need to push the exhaust button!)?

Old 08-19-2021, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by scm
What happens if you start it in dynamic mode (no need to push the exhaust button!)?
The same thing, exhaust or dynamic button produces the same sounds effects

Old 08-19-2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by spegor
I have a 2021 5.0 V8 (not R), when I Start the engine with open valve (exhaust button pushed), you can hear the high sound exhaust and if you give a bit of gas after the first roar start or if you starts immediatly, the exhaust valve stays open only for a while making the tipical nascar sound, then the valve closes and silences the engine. Only after 3300 rpm the valve reopens. So I suppose like you there is a spring exhaust valve . So lets pull the fuse 15. We need to test first to confirm
So in my 2020R, this is the deal with active exhaust system. When you first start the car the vacuum controlled exhaust valves are open fully. After a second or two the exhaust valves close after the car has created enough vacuum and then will warm up eventually reducing to idle.. When you engage dynamic mode the active exhaust system engages at the same time, hence the active exhaust button light will illuminate. The exhaust valves will open slightly and the audio system adds simulated exhaust noise inside of the car as well. The only way not not have the simulated exhaust noise inside the car is to have it disabled through pathfinder or pull fuse 15 which keeps the exhaust valves open at all times. If the active exhaust is engaged when you pull fuse 15 the system will still be active.

If you press the button at this point it it will flash on and off a few times and then turn off completely, you will also hear the simulated exhaust tones inside the car turning on and off quickly in concert with the flashing light on the button. This will be extremely obvious if you have added and aftermarket subwoofer to your audio system. Probably will be a bit more suttle with the factory speakers. The active exhaust system will not not be able to be turned back on without fuse 15 installed at this point. If you press the active exhaust button with fuse 15 removed the light will flash on and off and you will again hear the simulated exhaust tones turning on and off as well. This is for the 2020 R 5.0.

I am sure that dynamic mode is changing other attributes of how the exhaust valves open and when but since i have install the modification to turn on and off the exhaust valves at will, they generally stay fully open at all times.

There may be slight differences with other years but this is the way it is on the 2020 R. Should be easily verifiable on the other model years.

Last edited by Jag Bass; 08-19-2021 at 08:03 AM.
DJS (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 12:07 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2021 has no simulated engine sounds inside the car. The “loud” button does open that valve, but I have no idea after the car warms up, the degree to which the butterfly stays at full open…it sounds like there is some modulation while you’re driving with the loud button on and opens wide when you floor board the accelerator. I am quite certain the valve stays wide open all the time when the fuse is pulled in my car.
But, I’m still curious what the other motor heads think about the catalytic converter potential failure comment that I mentioned in my previous post.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:48 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
But, I’m still curious what the other motor heads think about the catalytic converter potential failure comment that I mentioned in my previous post.
Well seeing as the valves are downstream from the cats I'm not sure how always open would affect the cats at all, unless you argue that it's constant reduced backpressure or even a slightly lower temp for the cats. However, these are so minor I can't imagine it having any detrimental effect on the cats.

Quick Reply: Active exhaust valves fuses F43 F15