F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Switchable Exhaust on MY2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Active Switchable Exhaust on MY2016

So, I've been building some Ftypes on the current 2016 build that the jaguarusa website has up and noticed that the active switchable exhaust is not an option on either the base or the S models. You can't seem to add it and in the pictures the button has been replaced by a bigger Stability control button.

Any idea what happened here, did they remove the option for an active switchable exhaust from the base and S cars?

You can find the extra button on the jaguar build site on the R models.

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure on the US market but the active exhaust is standard an all 16s here.

Don't get why there's no button though.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's no longer under the options because it's now listed as standard equipment! Which is awesome. But for the base it's a little contradictory because in the overview it lists the exhaust as "Sports Exhaust" and under the S it says "Active Sports Exhaust". But then when you delve into the list of standard features, it says "Switchable Active Sports Exhaust" for both.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

For My2016, Switchable Active Sport Exhaust is listed as standard on the manual BASE V6, all V6S and R, while the BASE V6 automatic gets the Sport Exhaust (not active, not switchable) as standard.

In summary, Switchable Active Sport Exhaust is an option on the BASE Automatic for MY2016 - standard for *all* other models.

The following 2 users liked this post by mshedden:
f_in_seattle (02-21-2015), mulhollandmaster (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
For My2016, Switchable Active Sport Exhaust is listed as standard on the manual BASE V6, all V6S and R, while the BASE V6 automatic gets the Sport Exhaust (not active, not switchable) as standard.

In summary, Switchable Active Sport Exhaust is an option on the BASE Automatic for MY2016 - standard for *all* other models.
I see a discrepancy in the features pages versus what's on the summary page of the build sheets. The build sheets all specify switchable active exhaust whereas the features list just before entry to the build pages show both base models with sports exhaust only and all the rest with switchable active exhaust. No switchable active option available for the base model.
So, anyone's guess. The dealer won't know, and the Jag Concierge will tell you that you have to ask the dealer.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I've said it before, but I don't see how anyone who enjoys a loud exhaust note could possibly be disappointed with the standard sport exhaust unless they're looking for an exhaust which is sometimes quieter.

Most seem to conclude that the base sport exhaust sounds like active exhaust with the valves closed. That is not the case. It is loud all the time, and with valves closed, active exhaust is quieter. The pipes which are sometimes closed on active exhaust cars, are open all the time on the basic sport exhaust.

Pictures attached again, so people don't have to search for them:

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mshedden (02-22-2015), perfectson (09-07-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I've said it before, but I don't see how anyone who enjoys a loud exhaust note could possibly be disappointed with the standard sport exhaust unless they're looking for an exhaust which is sometimes quieter.

Most seem to conclude that the base sport exhaust sounds like active exhaust with the valves closed. That is not the case. It is loud all the time, and with valves closed, active exhaust is quieter. The pipes which are sometimes closed on active exhaust cars, are open all the time on the basic sport exhaust.
Waaaait - are you saying that the Base V6 is as loud as the S is when the valves are open? I've only driven the S and the open-valve sound alone made me fall in love with it. It could have driven like an absolute dog and I still would want it just for that sound. The lack of burbles and pops on the overrun are what makes me miss my vintage cars. Granted though, getting from A -> B and not A -> Tow Truck -> B is nice.

By the way - not to tack on another question in a thread that started with a question, but what do you make of this video? It appears to be a MY15 BASE with the switch in it. But it's a Euro model so maybe those came with that feature and the US ones didn't?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to my nightmare figuring this exhaust out..
From my experiences on test drives...I'll try to be clear. I'm lucky I live close to 3 jaguar dealerships in So CA.

-Base V6 Convert Without the switchable button with Dynamic & Sports on= Quiet
-Base V6 Coupe with switchable exhaust button ON with Dynamic & Sports On= Loud as S with Pops and Burps
- S V6 Coupe with switchable exhaust button On with Dynamic & Sports On = Loud with Pops and Burps
- I didn't hear any obvious difference between Base Coupe and S Coupe...if there was it was like 2%...if any at all.

So that's my experience. Now I still have to decide between a 2016 S or a base. One 2016 test article I read stated that the manual V6 exhaust was slightly modified to make it even louder than the automatic...ugh to be continued

Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Some technical info on the active exhaust, since the exhaust itself hasn't changed since release. This technical guide was published in 2013.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzRisk:
DuhCar (02-22-2015), RickyJay52 (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Ah cool, I drove both a Base and S yesterday which had the active switchable exhaust and both sounded exactly the same to me with and without the switch on. With the switch on, it sounded MUCH better but I can see use cases for it being off sometimes.

Either way its such a cheap upgrade on this expensive that I dont mind getting it. More buttons I have to play around with in the cabin the better. Glad to hear that even its not there the engine defaults to that sound all the time.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Gyrene991
One 2016 test article I read stated that the manual V6 exhaust was slightly modified to make it even louder than the automatic...ugh to be continued
mshedden pointed out a phrase on the Jag website that states all models have the switchable active exhaust except the Base V6 automatic, and that has it available as a standalone option.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mulhollandmaster
Waaaait - are you saying that the Base V6 is as loud as the S is when the valves are open?
Jaguar F Type Coupe V6 Active Exhaust Revs - YouTube
No, that is not what I'm saying. I said it is louder than active exhaust with the valves closed, and loud all the time. Because of the architecture of the system, when open, I would expect active exhaust to be louder.

The following users liked this post:
mulhollandmaster (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM

No, that is not what I'm saying. I said it is louder than active exhaust with the valves closed, and loud all the time. Because of the architecture of the system, when open, I would expect active exhaust to be louder.
Oh okay. Got it. It's kind of funny - it's such a tiny little option that's garnered so much love and confusion. Jaguar did really nail the sound of this car.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mulhollandmaster
Oh okay. Got it. It's kind of funny - it's such a tiny little option that's garnered so much love and confusion. Jaguar did really nail the sound of this car.
Thank you for providing the opportunity to clarify.

It's difficult to explain in print and understandably counter-intuitive. JLR doesn't publicize anything about the base sport exhaust, while hyping the active system, and I suppose it's logical to assume that it must be like the active with valves closed all the time -- not.

It's also interesting that it gets so much attention on the F-Type. It's been around on numerous high-performance cars for years, and my '06 Z06 had it standard.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So do I understand correctly that:

A 2016 V6 base automatic will not include active exhaust?

A 2016 V6 base automatic's exhaust system (without active exhaust) is not simply the same silencer as an active exhaust system without the solenoids?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by teashea
So do I understand correctly that:

A 2016 V6 base automatic will not include active exhaust?

A 2016 V6 base automatic's exhaust system (without active exhaust) is not simply the same silencer as an active exhaust system without the solenoids?
1) Yes, but its available as an option
20 Yes, not the same. Foosh has the sport exhaust, and has posted a pic (above) of how his exhaust looks (from the outside - no valves but also no valve bypass pipe), not sure if its known for sure what the interior of the sport exhaust looks like as it appears to be a well guarded secret.

One point in favor of the regular sport exhaust (other than price) is the simplicity - no computer control/wiring, no solenoids, no vacuum pump/reservoir etc etc - far less to go wrong!

Last edited by mshedden; 02-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
1) Yes, but its available as an option
20 Yes, not the same. Foosh has the sport exhaust, and has posted a pic (above) of how his exhaust looks (from the outside - no valves but also no valve bypass pipe), not sure if its known for sure what the interior of the sport exhaust looks like as it appears to be a well guarded secret.

One point in favor of the regular sport exhaust (other than price) is the simplicity - no computer control/wiring, no solenoids, no vacuum pump/reservoir etc etc - far less to go wrong!
. . . and, there's nothing quiet about it. It is the loudest OEM exhaust on any vehicle I've ever owned (50+).

Old 02-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I agree ,the loudest! Beats my previous champ,'12 SLK55 AMG!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had two AMG C63's that sounded great - so I look forward to the Ftype

Old 09-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures attached again, so people don't have to search for them:

love these boards, Jaguar didn't do a superb job on making this clear (probably to get more people to purchase the switchable active exhaust?)

good to know there's no major difference in the notes between the base and ones with switchable exhaust on

Quick Reply: Active Switchable Exhaust on MY2016