F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive dynamic fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:
the new battery I had installed (Varta G14) was replaced with a battery from Jaguar because they said it was incorrect.
Jaguar installed the new fully charged battery, reset the modules and took the car on a test drive. The first test drive was fine with no issues. To be safe, they took the car on a second test drive and the instrument cluster lit up with all the warnings I had been experiencing.
They have checked all wiring and connections and everything seems fine. They are clueless as to what could be causing the problem.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Jody Harms
Update:
the new battery I had installed (Varta G14) was replaced with a battery from Jaguar because they said it was incorrect.
Jaguar installed the new fully charged battery, reset the modules and took the car on a test drive. The first test drive was fine with no issues. To be safe, they took the car on a second test drive and the instrument cluster lit up with all the warnings I had been experiencing.
They have checked all wiring and connections and everything seems fine. They are clueless as to what could be causing the problem.
Thanks for the update.
I will possibly need a new battery soon as I'm still on the original six year old battery, and after heaps of research for a replacement battery the ONLY one I could find here in Oz is the Varta G14 so that is what I was aiming to get (at $532 AU which is the cheapest I can find, although it is free delivery). The only alternatives are either to go to my local dealership and buy one from them - no thanks - or import one and pay a packet in shipping fees.
But then your previous post pops up saying that the dealership says it is wrong for the F-Type, too many amps.
I call BS on that dealer advice, the Varta G14 is 850 CCA and 95 ah and guess what, the OEM battery is also 850 CCA and 95 ah!
So I will stick with the Varta G14.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:23 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
But then your previous post pops up saying that the dealership says it is wrong for the F-Type, too many amps.
I call BS on that dealer advice, the Varta G14 is 850 CCA and 95 ah and guess what, the OEM battery is also 850 CCA and 95 ah!
So I will stick with the Varta G14.
And the post also showed that the "correct Jaguar battery" didn't actually fix the faults.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
And the post also showed that the "correct Jaguar battery" didn't actually fix the faults.
Yep, I read that bit.
Which just reinforced my view that the dealer was talking BS to con Jody into buying an "OEM battery" and paying a motza for the privilege. Unless of course it was a FOC warranty claim!

Old 10-17-2020, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
My memory of an older thread here is that at least some F-types don’t charge the battery beyond something like 12.7-12.8 volts.
I believe mine charges a 13.8V. I’ll double check later today.
Jody,
if you have not already done this, detach the battery ground cable where it bolts to the floor of the boot. Clean that cable terminal and the immediate area around the stud with an Emory cloth or fine sand paper and then reconnect. There have been some identical issues reported on this forum that were resolved by securing a good connection at that location.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-17-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Carbuff2 (10-17-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe mine charges a 13.8V. I’ll double check later today.
Jody,
if you have not already done this, detach the battery ground cable where it bolts to the floor of the boot. Clean that cable terminal and the immediate area around the stud with an Emory cloth or fine sand paper and then reconnect. There have been some identical issues reported on this forum that were resolved by securing a good connection at that location.

Thank you, I will give this a try or at least advise Jaguar to do so. My car has been with them since last week while they try to figure out the problem. The faults are intermittent so its difficult for them to diagnose the exact problem. My car is out of warranty so this is becoming a very expensive experience

Last edited by Jody Harms; 10-18-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe mine charges a 13.8V. I’ll double check later today .
Lance, didn’t mean charging voltage, but what the battery shows after a long drive (engine off.) Don’t recall if I’ve ever measured mine.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Update:
After almost 3 weeks at Jaguar, I finally got my car back...
They found 2 separate issues:

The first problem was indeed the battery. They ended up reinstalling the Varta G14 battery I had bought a week prior because there was nothing wrong with it. They just charged it and put it back in.The dealer was convinced the OEM battery would fix the issues which it didn't so the fault finding continued. After 2 weeks, they found the All Terrain module/switch was faulty. When driving the car in normal mode, everything would be fine with no warning lights. Once switched to dynamic or rain and ice mode, my dash would light up with all the faults. This was happening whenever I drove because I usually drive in Dynamic. The switch was replaced and everything seems to be fine when switching between the driving modes.

The second problem was the Pedestrian Protection system. The sensor, actuator and harness were replaced.

Carbuff2 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:03 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Great news they found and fixed the problems. Always nice when people update there threads with the final outcome..

Old 10-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Thanks for giving us the result of the investigations, especially because the fault in the mode switch seems unique -I don't think we have heard that before. Could a liquid have spilled on the console and got into the switch?

Old 10-27-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
Thanks for giving us the result of the investigations, especially because the fault in the mode switch seems unique -I don't think we have heard that before. Could a liquid have spilled on the console and got into the switch?
it is possible but highly unlikely as I hardly ever eat or drink anything in my car for this reason.

My nightmare has returned. Last night all the faults came back and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over and tried to reset everything but my car would not start. The start button would pulse as normal but nothing happened when trying to start or even getting the ignition to turn on. When the car did eventually start, all the warnings lights were illuminated and I could not select drive.
the car was towed back to the Jaguar dealer last night and they mentioned the car was driving perfectly fine this morning before they had even started to diagnose what had happened.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

@Jody Harms I think that it all eventually gets back to a low voltage condition.

There is a Topic around here showing some corrosion on the end of the red main cable that runs under the car, connecting the trunk electrics to the engine compartment. Perhaps your car is seeing a voltage drop due to a poor or corroded connection there.

I looked at my archived picture folder and cannot find the one I was looking for, but it connects at the engine bay just to the right of the trans IIRC.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:34 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
@Jody Harms I think that it all eventually gets back to a low voltage condition.

There is a Topic around here showing some corrosion on the end of the red main cable that runs under the car, connecting the trunk electrics to the engine compartment. Perhaps your car is seeing a voltage drop due to a poor or corroded connection there.

I looked at my archived picture folder and cannot find the one I was looking for, but it connects at the engine bay just to the right of the trans IIRC.
Also ask them to disconnect the cable and measure the resistance, it could have internal corrosion that is not visible. If the gauge and length of the cable are known, then google can tell them what the expected resistance should be if JLR doesn’t list the specifications.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:10 AM

My car has been at a Jaguar dealer for 4 weeks now. They had reported the car would not start on some days and it would be perfect on others. They had been struggling to diagnose what is actually wrong with my car and causing all the faults.
This is the quote for the repairs I received from the dealership today. The dealer thinks this will solve all the issues. This is a lot to pay (£8 048/$10 584) for something that might not fix the problem.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

That's a lot of parts and harnesses to have all gone wrong at once... Looks more like part replacement than diagnostics

Let's hope they got you fixed!