F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Dynamics fault caused by highway rumble strips

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Dynamics fault caused by highway rumble strips

Hey all, I’ve got a 2016 S AWD lowered on VAP springs installed in 2019. Last year I hit some rumble strips on the side of the highway which caused the first Adaptive Dynamics fault. It went away on its own fairly quickly without any intervention on my part. Shortly after, the same thing happened and the fault lasted a few months up until winter when the car doesn’t get driven much. This spring the fault went away on its own again and since then I’ve hit plenty of bad bumps and potholes without the issue occurring. After a long road trip I managed to hit more strips yesterday while passing a slow moving truck on a back road and triggered the fault again. Every time was driver side on the rumble strips.

The Jag dealer in town quoted $4k saying both front shocks needed to be replaced when I took it last year for this issue, but having read about the system I feel like this is a sensor issue or something other than needing a whole new shock. Especially given the fact that it seems to sort itself out on its own eventually.

Anyone have any insights on what could be the culprit here? Or if there’s a way to reset the system and hopefully get rid of the fault?

Old 05-24-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

I had the fault a couple of times but it always resets after a restart, check if connection is tight on top of the strut, check for water and debris, pull it out and give it a good ol blow, front ones are right there, rear ones require removal of the liners.

If this doesn't help I'd say don't think about it too much, the suspension defaults to dynamic mode(firm) iirc, which is probably the way most people set it to.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:49 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like it could be similar to my problem. Here's the thread that describes how I got it resolved. Adaptive dynamics fault was one of the many error messages I got.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...attery-261433/

best,
pat

Old 05-26-2023, 08:28 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I often travel the State highway across the desert and up and down the mountains and it seems that there is always some type of construction going on. I can't complain because at least the roads are well maintained. But those rumble strips are rough even on a non-lowered F type. When I approach them I usually brake fairly hard and slow waaaaay down before going over them. And keep a close eye on rearview mirror as often some knucklehead behind me in a raised pickup truck who can fly over the rumble strips at 50 MPH isn't slowing down and doesn't appreciate what it is like to go over those obstacles in a low slung sports car.

I could certainly see how the impact and vibration could trigger some fault through the sensors. I'd certainly try and sort it out myself before letting the dealer replace the shocks for $4000 ! And I will continue to drive like a grandma when I pass through those construction zones.