F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add passenger footwell trim cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Add passenger footwell trim cover?

Now this is probably an odd one, but did someone attempt adding some kind of trim cover in the passenger footwell under the glove box? It really surprised me when I noticed that the F-Type has no trim there.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that you hear the blower motor a bit unnecessarily much without any cover there. There's this faint high pitched hiss that comes from the blower motor and only is audible when it's really quiet in the car. The sound just gets a bit more noticeable if you put in some hard floor mats like the Weathertech Floorliners I use for the winter because the hard mats don't absorb the sound as much as the soft summer mats. It's not a new thing, not a big deal and I noticed the same thing in both the XFs I had before although both had some trim covering the blower motor. In my first XF the blower motor got noisier over time and I solved it by adding extra sound deadening behind the trim.

Anyways I was thinking some kind of cover would cancel some of the sound and it's really just weird that the area isn't covered. Don't know what Jaguar were thinking there and it shouldn't be a cost or weight issue... the trim used in the XF was very light if I recall correctly.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

I never would have noticed that if you hadn't mentioned it.

I think that the fan sound is not intrusive. All 4 of our cars have audible fan sounds when the cars are quiet.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:30 AM

Agreed, it's not really intrusive. Just a bit hard to unhear once you've heard it and a potential minor tweak. Let's see if I come up with some mod for this.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Adding a panel of any kind may just replace fan noise with a new rattle?? If you want to easily insulate the noise, you could apply some of the sound deadening adhesive material (used for speakers etc.) over parts of it and may quiet it down.

I honestly cannot hear anything over the VAP Exhaust/Cats/Downpipes and loud S/C V8...

DC

Old 12-02-2021, 01:20 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Turn the radio up louder

Old 12-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
Turn the radio up louder
Then the door panels and rear bulkhead will rattle! <<ducks>>

The following users liked this post:
SVR 575 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
Turn the radio up louder
There's a radio in the F-Type? My right foot has found the volume control ....

SVR 575 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Adding a panel of any kind may just replace fan noise with a new rattle?? If you want to easily insulate the noise, you could apply some of the sound deadening adhesive material (used for speakers etc.) over parts of it and may quiet it down.

I honestly cannot hear anything over the VAP Exhaust/Cats/Downpipes and loud S/C V8...

DC
Any added panel would of course be something soft and flexible to avoid rattles. Very good point about the sound deadening adhesive.

I guess that's one of the sweet things about the V6 and stock exhaust... I just love that you can choose to cruise very quietly. Perfect for spirited drives in the country side around here... full screaming exhaust on the country roads and then silent cruising with closed exhaust valves every time you pass through a village.

Still think it's so weird that the area is not covered. Won't happen in my car but I can imagine that a tall passenger with big mucky shoes could accidentally mess things up there.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my blower motor looked at by the dealership last week for it making noise... They said they did hear it, but it was not malfunctioning. But when I got the car back, I thought the noise seemed even louder, so I looked underneath and was shocked when I didn't see a panel covering it up. I assumed the technician forgot to put the panel back on... I'm currently talking with the dealership. So now you've got me thinking that I never had one in the first place. Does everyone here not have a panel underneath the glovebox?

I believe this is the panel that should be there: 2014-2021 Jaguar F-Type Knee Bolster T2R23504PVJ | Haper Jaguar Parts (harperjaguar.com)
...But does it not come installed?

Old 12-13-2021, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Just checked my car: the "knee bolster" panel cited is the moulded (semi-vertical) panel that covers the area below the glove box lid. There is no horizontal panel below this to cover the fan motor.

Carbuff2 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Just checked my car: the "knee bolster" panel cited is the moulded (semi-vertical) panel that covers the area below the glove box lid. There is no horizontal panel below this to cover the fan motor.
Same here on my RHD version - nothing under the fan motor.
But the only way to see anything under there is to contort like a snake and poke your head under while kneeling outside the door, so it's not as though any passenger is going to notice and sneer at your poorly finished F-Type.
My old XFs both had flimsy panels under there called "hush panels", held up by a row of three or four plastic clips across the front edge, and there are no holes or slots for any such clips on the F-Type.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by dannerbo
I just had my blower motor looked at by the dealership last week for it making noise... They said they did hear it, but it was not malfunctioning. But when I got the car back, I thought the noise seemed even louder, so I looked underneath and was shocked when I didn't see a panel covering it up. I assumed the technician forgot to put the panel back on... I'm currently talking with the dealership. So now you've got me thinking that I never had one in the first place. Does everyone here not have a panel underneath the glovebox?

I believe this is the panel that should be there: 2014-2021 Jaguar F-Type Knee Bolster T2R23504PVJ | Haper Jaguar Parts (harperjaguar.com)
...But does it not come installed?
That part is clearly only for the driver side. So it really seems like no such panels are fitted in the F-Type and as OzXFR mentioned, there are no signs of any holes for clips to hold up a panel there.

The blower motors are a bit of an odd thing. Seems like all Jag blower motors are a bit noisy and some can be noisier than others. And as said I noticed that it gets a bit more noticeable if you put in a hard front passenger mat.