Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding front camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Adding front camera

Planning to add a front facing camera in the grill / spoiler area of my 2017 SVR to help with close-in parking and avoid scraping the fender lip on low curbs. Bought one that sends wireless signal to a mini screen I can keep in center armrest. So the camera only needs ignition switched power

Any advice on where / how to route the wire from front of car into engine bay - and best place to tap into ignition-switched 12V power?

Separately - as an alternative has anyone put the Nav-TV or similar setup to add a front camera directly into the touchscreen? It looks neat but am guessing it's much more involved to route a camera wire through engine bay and into back of touchscreen area? And not sure if it works on 2017 - am asking them for info

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2021, 03:28 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

This is a project I am hoping to tackle as well once I splurge on an Android head unit. The 360 camera seems nice but I'm not too keen on drilling the side mirrors and routing wires from there.

There are wireless cameras all over ebay that I was considering for this, it seems like there is some space behind the head unit that you may be able to tuck a module into. Something like this, which I found in 30 seconds and I'm sure you could do better than with a bit more searching. Many of the units also allow you to cut a wire to disable the 'track' on the camera. Given the atrocious quality of my backup camera on my 16 (hey.. at least it works right) I'm not too concerned with resolution for the front one.

Tapping the head unit power itself for this module seems reasonable, which leaves only the camera itself to be powered by a switchable source as you say, which I haven't figured out yet.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Planning to add a front facing camera in the grill / spoiler area of my 2017 SVR to help with close-in parking and avoid scraping the fender lip on low curbs. Bought one that sends wireless signal to a mini screen I can keep in center armrest. So the camera only needs ignition switched power

Any advice on where / how to route the wire from front of car into engine bay - and best place to tap into ignition-switched 12V power?

Separately - as an alternative has anyone put the Nav-TV or similar setup to add a front camera directly into the touchscreen? It looks neat but am guessing it's much more involved to route a camera wire through engine bay and into back of touchscreen area? And not sure if it works on 2017 - am asking them for info

Thanks!
I have spent 18 months working on this type of setup. After many attempts to perfect it, the solution is actually quite simple. I wanted a wireless solution that would require all wiring under the hood. I purchased a wireless camera setup from Tadie Brothers https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...amera-wireless. This allows you to have the camera display on your phone. The issue I had was the image was reversed. After going back & forth with them they had no idea why the image was reversed. I ordered a front camera for my 2021 Toyota Tacoma https://caliraisedled.com/products/2...RoCjmQQAvD_BwE. The camera that came with this kit with a couple of options. One was to eliminate the lines & the other was to reverse the image by cutting a wire. I purchased the camera from Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/203523879525. It took a couple of adapters to complete the install. If you are interested I can supply information. I mounted the camera to the front bumper & picked up power from the fuse box next to the master cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
Mark7Seven (10-20-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Thanks. That sounds like the direction I want to go in. Will look at ways to route the power wires to the camera at the weekend.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

For a turn key solution option, I had front and rear cameras installed with both integrated into the touch screen in my 2017 S for a total of $2,350 by a shop in San Diego. $974 parts and $1,300 labor.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael211
For a turn key solution option, I had front and rear cameras installed with both integrated into the touch screen in my 2017 S for a total of $2,350 by a shop in San Diego. $974 parts and $1,300 labor.
Interesting which shop and can you give more details on what hardware was used ??
Thanks