F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on what direction to take with blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on what direction to take with blown motor

Quick synopsis: I bought a 2015 F-Type R from Godspeed in Charlotte. Motor blew in two days and less than 500 miles. I was told it was probably because they didn't burp the cooling system after doing the y-pipes. Now they're giving me the run around and maybe(probably) trying to screw me. I'll more than likely have to go the legal route to resolve but I'd like to get the car running while going through that process.

Anyway, what options are out there? I see some used engines I can get for $6-8k from the XF. Are they direct swap? Are the Range Rover Sport motors direct swap?

Also, any shops people recommend in the Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC area?

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2024, 03:19 PM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

First off...awesome user name and movie! Sorry to hear about the engine. Has a proper tear down been done to confirm the engine is truly toast? To answer your question..the 3.0 and 5.0 are standard across the JLR line short of some ancillary equipment.

Old 08-09-2024, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
First off...awesome user name and movie! Sorry to hear about the engine. Has a proper tear down been done to confirm the engine is truly toast? To answer your question..the 3.0 and 5.0 are standard across the JLR line short of some ancillary equipment.
Yeah I love that movie ha. It may have been torn down by now. Not 100% sure. It was towed back to the dealer a couple of weeks ago. I heard from them last Friday but they didn't have a diagnosis. The sales rep just said they think the engine is shot because they couldn't get it to start. They have a small shop there. Apparently they buy auction sports cars and have their techs fix issues on them before putting them up for sale. I plan on calling them in the morning though.

Old 08-09-2024, 03:49 PM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

What were the symptoms, vehicle speed, and driving conditions when the engine stopped running?

Was it overheated?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-11-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
What were the symptoms, vehicle speed, and driving conditions when the engine stopped running?

Was it overheated?
The second day I had it, I noticed it was slowly leaking oil in my garage. It was the 4th, so I called the dealership the next day. They said have it towed back to them. I was leaving for vacation the next day so I had to wait until I got back. I was moving it out of the garage down to the road to get towed. It was idling in my driveway and started smoking, rattling, and shut off. Dumped a bunch of oil and lost a good bit of coolant. Guessing it overheated.

Old 08-09-2024, 04:11 PM

Did you know what the oil level was before the engine was started?

How many miles are shown on the instrument cluster?

Don B (08-11-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:12 PM

If you search for a used engine assembly, the VIN must be used to match the engine correctly to the vehicle. In addition to differences in the sump shape, some sensors are in different locations based on the vehicle application.

The following 3 users liked this post by NBCat:
AldoRaine (08-09-2024), Don B (08-11-2024), Valerie Stabenow (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Did you know what the oil level was before the engine was started?

How many miles are shown on the instrument cluster?
Oil level was good because I had checked it when I got home on the evening of the 4th right after I noticed the oil dripping. Miles are like 66,xxx I believe.

Old 08-09-2024, 04:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Really sorry to hear this. All the best, and go get ‘em!

AldoRaine (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 10:14 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Possible rebuild?

Tapa Land-Rover and Jaguar motors in Santa Clarita CA . I don't have personal experience with them, but other posts indicate they are worth looking in to, if you go that route

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
AldoRaine (08-10-2024), jcb-memphis (08-09-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Tapa Land-Rover and Jaguar motors in Santa Clarita CA . I don't have personal experience with them, but other posts indicate they are worth looking in to, if you go that route
I thought about going that direction. It would suck to drop +$15k into a car I just bought. I’ve heard great things about them though.

Old 08-10-2024, 08:06 AM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AldoRaine
Quick synopsis: I bought a 2015 F-Type R from Godspeed in Charlotte. Motor blew in two days and less than 500 miles. I was told it was probably because they didn't burp the cooling system after doing the y-pipes. Now they're giving me the run around and maybe(probably) trying to screw me. I'll more than likely have to go the legal route to resolve but I'd like to get the car running while going through that process.

Anyway, what options are out there? I see some used engines I can get for $6-8k from the XF. Are they direct swap? Are the Range Rover Sport motors direct swap?

Also, any shops people recommend in the Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC area?

Thank you!
What a nightmare. So sorry to hear about your troubles...Bah...

Old 08-10-2024, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Didn't your "new" car come with at least a minimal (30 day) warranty?

Old 08-10-2024, 09:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar one. Read more here for details:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-doozy-277614/

I’m now 6+ months into ownership. I don’t drive anywhere with the remanufacted engine without an oil temp gauge and a coolant gauge (see photo).

The following 3 users liked this post by SportsEngineer:
AldoRaine (08-10-2024), JgaXkr (08-11-2024), Valerie Stabenow (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

What OBD are you using and what app? Any issues with the car not shutting down completely after using?

Old 08-10-2024, 09:57 AM

I will say, I absolutely love the car and the driving experience when everything is going well!

I went with TAPA, and you can see my review here:https://maps.app.goo.gl/VnWCospQg2aH97yz7?g_st=ic

It’s pricey, but they gave me a 12 month warranty on the engine.

I suspect the original engine had already been blown before I bought it, but the pre-inspection says otherwise. I had no legal recourse.

if I could do it all over again, I would have had more tests done before buying the car. The lemonsquad report was a starting point, but I should’ve had a pressure test done next, followed by a few other tests to demonstrate that the head gaskets were not already blown.

Old 08-10-2024, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
What OBD are you using and what app? Any issues with the car not shutting down completely after using?
I bought this OBD reader:
OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows

https://a.co/d/4ZrpjS4

I have a 2015 R, and the red triangle always goes off at the expected time (after 15 mins) when I leave that OBD scanner plugged in. I will add that I always shut down the device which connects to the OBD reader (I have an old android device without a SIM card which permanently stays with the car).

Old 08-10-2024, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by SportsEngineer
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar one. Read more here for details:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-doozy-277614/

I’m now 6+ months into ownership. I don’t drive anywhere with the remanufacted engine without an oil temp gauge and a coolant gauge (see photo).

Man that’s like the exact same situation. It sucks. I loved the car. I just don’t know if I can drop $20k into it. I paid $38k for mine as well. I could have bought a way more badass car for almost $60k. I’d be stuck with it forever lol. TAPA is a good way to go though. Did you get the upgraded supercharger with it?

Old 08-10-2024, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I believe he is using Torque Pro with the custom Jaguar PID package that long time member Cambo built and then gave away a number of years back. I have it and use it still. We have a large thread started by Cambo if your interested in using his custom PIDS.

Thanks for the feedback on the OBDLink MX+. I have been recommending this one since it auto shuts down and auto powers up BUT I had a few guys with F-Type's report back that even that adapter still kept the car alive and the red triangle was illuminated. I have a 2014 XJR and never had any problems with it draining the battery either. So different cars and different outcomes I guess?

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Don B (08-11-2024), SportsEngineer (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by AldoRaine
Man that’s like the exact same situation. It sucks. I loved the car. I just don’t know if I can drop $20k into it. I paid $38k for mine as well. I could have bought a way more badass car for almost $60k. I’d be stuck with it forever lol. TAPA is a good way to go though. Did you get the upgraded supercharger with it?
$20k is a hard pill to swallow. So far, I’m glad I took that route.

Quick Reply: Advice on what direction to take with blown motor