F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise on battery maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 01:08 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default advise on battery maintainer

I was was wondering if this maintainer will be fine for winter storage. I start my car weekly so do I need anything more expensive or better then this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...BM3B/202710992

Old 08-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Most people use CTEK. While they are a little more expense, I do believe it's worth it. The CTEK's also offer reverse polarity protection. The B&D unit only offers a warning for reverse polarity.

Amazon Amazon

The B&D will probably work, I don't think you'll find many people here who have tried it.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Please use the experience of the list. Most use the CTEK unit; I have used them for years on various Jaguars. They can be left attached and working for months at a time with never a worry. I have also used other types, but none compare to the CTEK for function and peace of mind.

With the CTEK functioning there is no need to start the car periodically ...and in fact, doing so causes far more damage than leaving the car dormant for months.

Last edited by sov211; 08-30-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:30 PM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Chevy offers a kit with new Corvettes. It's a re-badged CTEK. I have used them for years. Also agree that it's best to not start the car unless you are going to drive it.

The Corvette owner's manual advises where to plug in a maintainer. For the F-Type, I believe you should install a charging kit.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:21 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

CTEK supplies many manufacturers including Jaguar and Aston Martin. It's the expensive way to buy a CTEK!

Old 08-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xmo
Chevy offers a kit with new Corvettes. It's a re-badged CTEK. I have used them for years. Also agree that it's best to not start the car unless you are going to drive it.

The Corvette owner's manual advises where to plug in a maintainer. For the F-Type, I believe you should install a charging kit.
Every high-end manufacturer, from Aston Martin to Bugatti, to Mercedes to Audi to BMW to Rolls Royce to Bentley to Jaguar...you get the message, every one, markets the CTEK and only the CTEK unit under their own brand name. This fact proves at least two things 1) every luxury car can have "battery issues" of the sort you will find on this forum, and for the same reason, and 2) the CTEK unit is a high quality, dependable tool to eliminate or reduce battery low voltage issues (which can cause random and multiple apparent faults, and which often, but not always, trigger the "battery low" warning).

No "charging kit" is needed for the F-Type. You simply attach the pig-tail wires permanently (2 minute job) and plug the unit in when the car is not in frequent use or daily use. It can be left plugged in for months at a time. The battery will be fresh and fully charged when it is time for the car to be driven again

Old 08-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used Battery Tender Power Tenders on every vehicle I have ever owned. BMW, Land Rover, Mini, etc etc. Great quality, great value, never an issue. I have never bought into the cost or the hype of the CTEK from any source. This is what is plugged in and hardwired now to my F Type. It's been used consistently across all my cars for years now. I recommend.

Last edited by Taylorguy74; 08-30-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 PM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The battery charging kit gives you a convenient place to plug the maintainer in.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xmo
The battery charging kit gives you a convenient place to plug the maintainer in.

The kit does make for a neat installation, no question. But it is time-consuming to install correctly, and requires opening the trunk each time you want to plug the unit in.
Mine is very much more simple and more convenient. The CTEK wire neatly exits at the edge of the trunk carpeting and the small plug sits immediately outside, under the lip of the trunk lid, so no need to exercise the automatic lift mechanism unnecessarily. The connector stub is in reality far less noticeably than it appears in the second photo.

Last edited by sov211; 08-31-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The kit does make for a neat installation, no question. But it is time-consuming to install correctly, and requires opening the trunk each time you want to plug the unit in.
Mine is very much more simple and more convenient. The CTEK wire neatly exits at the edge of the trunk carpeting and the small plug sits immediately outside, under the lip of the trunk lid, so no need to exercise the automatic lift mechanism unnecessarily.
Another option is to do as I have done - a permanent pigtail connection to the under hood charging posts.
Start here and keep reading through the next few posts: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1710314
It really does make connecting my battery tender a 20 seconds absolute piece of cake - just flip the pigtail out from under the hood/bonnet, connect the tender, done.
No need to open anything or even unlock the car!

Old 08-31-2020, 01:28 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

I've used NOKO Genius for many years and never had any issues. They are relatively inexpensive, have options for FLA, AGM, Lithium, and 6 V and lots of amp choices.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-31-2020, 07:46 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

...and I’ve used a Battery Tender Jr for the past 7 winters (car is stored Dec-Mar), no issues. Just replaced the battery after 7 years out of caution, not because it needed it.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

What exactly is this accessory from Jaguar ? It looks like it also requires a CTEK charger. Does anyone have one ? I was planning on adding it to my build, but if I can do something like OzXFR or sov211 did for a few buck worth or supplies I might go that way.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
What exactly is this accessory from Jaguar ? It looks like it also requires a CTEK charger. Does anyone have one ? I was planning on adding it to my build, but if I can do something like OzXFR or sov211 did for a few buck worth or supplies I might go that way.
Dwight:

this is exactly what we have been talking about: it is the CTEK battery maintainer, in this case branded as a Jaguar official accessory, at a far higher price than the same unit branded by CTEK and readily available. And despite the note that US cars need to have the extra cost installation kit as well, this is entirely unnecessary (see posts above).
To be clear, the photo shows the Jaguar-branded CTEK unit, not the extra (unnecessary) installation kit.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:17 AM

Thank you sov211. It looks like the CTEK units run from around $60 to $80 depending upon the features, not too different from the Jaguar labeled units. But I can certainly save money on the unnecessary install kit.
I currently have a Harbor Freight combination jump starter/battery charger/trickle charger that I use on my Mazda CX 5 since I make a lot of short trips but I don't like that it has to be attached directly to the + terminal on the battery and a good ground point under the hood. I'll want to do a nice, clean and convenient installation for the F type.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:34 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I'm happy with my CTEK MXS 5.0 (I have two!)

Old 08-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

QUOTE=Dwight Frye;2282820]Thank you sov211. It looks like the CTEK units run from around $60 to $80 depending upon the features, not too different from the Jaguar labeled units. But I can certainly save money on the unnecessary install kit.
I currently have a Harbor Freight combination jump starter/battery charger/trickle charger that I use on my Mazda CX 5 since I make a lot of short trips but I don't like that it has to be attached directly to the + terminal on the battery and a good ground point under the hood. I'll want to do a nice, clean and convenient installation for the F type.[/QUOTE]

I think I have not been clear. With the CTEK there is no repeated connection to the battery or to remote terminals. You do it once, and it is done: The + lead goes to ANY point on this battery monitor unit which sits on the trunk floor- remove the black cover and connect to any of the connection points. you can see the + lead from the battery (RED) and you can see the red CTEK wire connected to the terminal beside the main battery connection. You then put the black cover back on. You can see the orange and black CTEK connector at the right of the photo. To this you will connect - just once! - the CTEK "Comfort Extension" - which is a set of + and - wires with connectors at both ends. This remains in place permanently and allows you to route the extension to the outside of the trunk - no issue at all with closing the trunk over the wire,
Now, the only thing you ever have to do when you put the car to sleep - for the night or for the next year - is to plug the CTEK main unit into this extension connector.as you can see in the third photo of my car sleeping: It takes about 3.5 seconds (perhaps 5 seconds if you are slow) to connect it. Done!

The negative CTEK connection is made to any stud in the trunk floor - in the photo below (which does not show the + connection yet made from the CTEK) it will be attached to the same stud as the main battery - (NEG) connection:

Last edited by sov211; 08-31-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:42 AM

Yes, a semi-permanent pigtail connection for the CTEK unit would be the most desirable application. I don't want to be screwing around with alligator clips on the battery terminals and leaving the hood open like I have to do now with my Mazda CX 5 when I want to top off the charge. Can you tuck that pigtail bag inside the trunk when not charging the car to ensure that it is not exposed to the elements ? As my F Type will be a second car it may only be driven once a week. It will be garaged all the time and possibly even have a cover on it to keep the dust off.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

If you drive the car once a week (for at least 30 - 45 minutes) you won't need a battery maintainer. Especially in SoCal if road salt is not a deterrent to you.

DRIVE THE DAMN THING!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Yes, a semi-permanent pigtail connection for the CTEK unit would be the most desirable application. I don't want to be screwing around with alligator clips on the battery terminals and leaving the hood open like I have to do now with my Mazda CX 5 when I want to top off the charge. Can you tuck that pigtail bag inside the trunk when not charging the car to ensure that it is not exposed to the elements ? As my F Type will be a second car it may only be driven once a week. It will be garaged all the time and possibly even have a cover on it to keep the dust off.
Dwight: the pigtail connector has its own cover attached to protect the metal connecting prongs - it is weatherproof, so there is no need to tuck it back in the trunk - but you certainlay can do that if you wish.

Quick Reply: advise on battery maintainer