Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 10 days and 1000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 10 days and 1000 miles...

After 10 days and 1000 miles...
Managed to squeeze 1000 miles of day-to-day driving into my V8S, and overall, am very pleased.
The engine is quite strong.
Ride and handling very fluid.
Transmission is great in auto mode, especially in dynamic/sport mode. (Holds 3rd or 4th gear in all situations except highway cruising).
Looks great.
Feels good (special) to drive.
Two Complaints:
1)It is objectionably loud. This is a major deterrent to driving the car at anything more than a very sedate pace in civilization, because it causes way too much disruption to other cars, or houses near the car. By virtue of the low frequencies on the sound, it carries a very long way. I will be looking for an aftermarket exhaust to make it quieter!! (Never thought I would say such a thing!!).
2) In manual shift mode, in dynamic/sport setting, if you floor the accelerator (past the kick-down detent) the paddle up-shift does not work, and the car does NOT shift. It also does not shift automatically when it hits the RPM limiter, so the car is stuck in gear and bumping the RPM limiter. (Paddles work fine so long as the accelerator is not depressed past the kick-down detent). Seems like a software mistake on the part of Jaguar. I can’t think of a single reason why this should be programmed this way. (Note that mine is the second V8 I have driven, and both had the same problem.)

Attached Thumbnails After 10 days and 1000 miles...-046a.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Sounds like you are loving the car!

Regarding the RPM limiter; does it only do it in 1st gear?

My XF does the same, but not always. If the wheels bite the tarmac, then it will shift into next gear smoothly. Otherwise, i have to back off, shift and press down on it again.

I like the color. What is it called? Is the Satellite Silver(i think)?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Sounds like you are loving the car!

Regarding the RPM limiter; does it only do it in 1st gear?

My XF does the same, but not always. If the wheels bite the tarmac, then it will shift into next gear smoothly. Otherwise, i have to back off, shift and press down on it again.

I like the color. What is it called? Is the Satellite Silver(i think)?

It refuses to shift up in any gear if you have depressed the accelerator down past the kick-down detent, and will not shift automatically at the rev- limiter if it is in Dynamic mode.
The color is satellite Grey.