F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After everything I just finished, it spun a bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 10:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default After everything I just finished, it spun a bearing

Just recently completed replacing the spark plugs and fuel injectors on my V6S and have been enjoying having it back on the road. This past weekend, I heard what was at first a slight tapping from under the hood. I checked the oil level and got the "below minimum" message. I have no idea how it was low on oil, but it was, and it was my fault for not checking it before getting back out onto the road. I added a quart and drove it a bit, but the sound persisted. Checked the oil level again and received the same message. I added a second quart and it came up to the middle portion of the oil level graphic. That means it was somehow more than two quarts low and there was no check engine light or warning light to alert me to how low the oil had gotten. The tapping turned into a clattering, so I pulled into a gas station and called for a tow.

Now I'm trying to find someone who can rebuild the engine, but because it's a Jag and I live in the south where Chevy and Ford are king, I'm having zero luck. It's looking like I'll have to purchase a used engine and swap them out.

After the ordeal I went through to get the injectors swapped out, I feel completely gutted about this. I have no idea why there are no low oil warnings built into this car, but there aren't. Be vigilant about maintaining your oil levels, don't make the same mistake that I did.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry for your very unfortunate experience. Hope you are able to find a reasonably priced replacement engine. Wish we had an oil pressure reading and a low warning.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowpass
Sorry for your very unfortunate experience. Hope you are able to find a reasonably priced replacement engine. Wish we had an oil pressure reading and a low warning.
One reason why I check the oil level at least once a week.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:42 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Just recently completed replacing the spark plugs and fuel injectors on my V6S and have been enjoying having it back on the road. This past weekend, I heard what was at first a slight tapping from under the hood. I checked the oil level and got the "below minimum" message. I have no idea how it was low on oil, but it was, and it was my fault for not checking it before getting back out onto the road. I added a quart and drove it a bit, but the sound persisted. Checked the oil level again and received the same message. I added a second quart and it came up to the middle portion of the oil level graphic. That means it was somehow more than two quarts low and there was no check engine light or warning light to alert me to how low the oil had gotten. The tapping turned into a clattering, so I pulled into a gas station and called for a tow.

Now I'm trying to find someone who can rebuild the engine, but because it's a Jag and I live in the south where Chevy and Ford are king, I'm having zero luck. It's looking like I'll have to purchase a used engine and swap them out.

After the ordeal I went through to get the injectors swapped out, I feel completely gutted about this. I have no idea why there are no low oil warnings built into this car, but there aren't. Be vigilant about maintaining your oil levels, don't make the same mistake that I did.
Sorry for your loss, and Thank you for posting.

Couple comments:
Oil might have been low from fuel injector getting stuck

Are you sure the injectors you have are good? It is possible that noise could be a result of faulty/stuck injectors

Old 08-10-2021, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Until you see metal in the oil, don't assume it is spun bearing.

Anecdote: A while ago a family member's old car started to make spun bearing noises. Knowing car's mileage and lack of care, I immediately assumed spun bearings. Turns out it was one of the belt pulleys that was making atypical noises. Huge egg on my face.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

This comes from LAST CHANCE RANCH, BEAVER, UTAH.......................BUM STEER SIR, we will keep our eyes and ears open.

Sparky

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

I agree with SinF and Obi. Check the things they suggested first. Also a loose spark plug sometimes makes a clacking or tickling noise as does a broken/loose exhaust manifold bolt/cracked exhaust manifold.

BTW just ran out to the garage and checked the oil level in the Jag.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 08-10-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Sorry for your loss, and Thank you for posting.

Couple comments:
Oil might have been low from fuel injector getting stuck

Are you sure the injectors you have are good? It is possible that noise could be a result of faulty/stuck injectors
Brand new injectors from Bosch.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

"New" does not necessarily mean "working". "Quality Control" seems to be a lost art

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
ferrral (08-11-2021), Mbourne (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 02:49 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you happen to have the part number for the injectors you used?