F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket head unit (stereo)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aftermarket head unit (stereo)

Having come from a C7 Z06, the head unit on the F Type is pretty disappointing. It also doesn't have Android Auto, which is the biggest motivator for me in wanting to upgrade. I checked Crutchfield and nothing came up when I put in my vehicle info. Has anyone upgraded their factory head unit to aftermarket? Seems like I might loose a lot of stuff like where the climate control goes and other settings that can only be changed from the touch screen (I also don't know the full extent of those because there was no owner manual with mine. Who loses/throws away the owner's manual??) but I desperately miss Android Auto so I willing to do what it takes to get it integrated. So has anyone upgraded, or know someone who did, or just know if it can be done and with what systems?

Old 02-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

There are Topics here on the Merryway Android adaptation, do a SEARCH, but AFAIK the unit is buggy so far...

Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
There are Topics here on the Merryway Android adaptation, do a SEARCH, but AFAIK the unit is buggy so far...
Thanks! that keyword got me started and I found this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-213980/page3/
His was a Kanor, as found lower down in the thread and it looks fantastic! Apparently he had a problem making the reverse camera work, but I started driving in 1996, and my C7 Corvette Z06 I bought in 2016 was my first car with a rear view camera, so if I can make it the first 20 years without a rear view camera, I think I'll be ok from here on out. SO dumb that it's law cars come with them now. All the nannies in our cars are making us crappier drivers, not better. I digress. I think I'm going to see if I can get this headunit, even if they are stealing all my info and sending it to China once I sync my phone to it. Apparently this is the link you can get it from, if anyone is interested https://szkanor.en.alibaba.com/?spm=...441759daQtNIp1 (shocker, it's alibaba. can't believe i didn't think to look there). Thanks again for the jump off point!

Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM

Oh and this is the specific head unit https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...393a7515m8LygS if anyone has any thoughts, comments, suggestions (aside from "don't do it! the chinese will steal your identity!")

Old 02-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

xcarlink or naviplus will provide interface to give you android/carplay using existing screen - thats the best option for us atm

Old 02-05-2020, 06:59 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Having come from a C7 Z06, the head unit on the F Type is pretty disappointing. It also doesn't have Android Auto, which is the biggest motivator for me in wanting to upgrade.
As a 2014 owner, I don't have an upgrade path that I know of.

As a person born when LBJ was president, I don't understand the difference between Android Auto and my $10 air vent magnetic phone mount plus a 10 foot usb power cord run from the center console tucked under the tunnel trim then run under the steering column to said air vent. Am I missing something by just using my andriod phone? Serious question from a dinosaur.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am surprised that people care about infotainment in a sports car. I turn screen off immediately after starting the car and yet to pair my phone to it. Why are you fiddling with tech when you should be driving *****-out with both hands on the steering wheel?

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Carbuff2 (02-05-2020), ryd003 (02-07-2020), schuss (06-29-2021)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I am surprised that people care about infotainment in a sports car. I turn screen off immediately after starting the car and yet to pair my phone to it. Why are you fiddling with tech when you should be driving *****-out with both hands on the steering wheel?
Cuz I can't do that in rush hour traffic? Also, I don't generally "fiddle" with it. LIke in my Z06, I get in the car, crank it, plug in the phone, hit the android auto button, turn on tunes (and google maps if needed) and go. Don't generally touch it again unless it's to skip a song which I can do from the steering wheel

The following users liked this post:
RichardCranium (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
As a 2014 owner, I don't have an upgrade path that I know of.

As a person born when LBJ was president, I don't understand the difference between Android Auto and my $10 air vent magnetic phone mount plus a 10 foot usb power cord run from the center console tucked under the tunnel trim then run under the steering column to said air vent. Am I missing something by just using my andriod phone? Serious question from a dinosaur.
Yes, the difference is I don't have to have an unsightly phone mount either up on my dash blocking my field of view of the road, or blocking an air vent, with an unsightly cord running to the cigarette lighter (or where ever). WIth android auto, you plug the phone in INSIDE the console and then all the apps (that are android auto compatable anyway) are on your infotainment screen. Google maps, all the music apps, also messages can pop up on the screen and you can hit it and it will say "Jim says 'what time are you arriving?' would you like to reply?" and you can say yes, it'll ask you what the message is, it will confirm it and ask if you want to send or change and you say send it and then you just texted while driving without ever touching your phone or taking your eyes off the road. If you're not familiar with Android Auto or Apple Car Pay, they're pretty much the best things since sliced bread. You had sliced bread back with Johnson was president, right?

Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

If you're not familiar with Android Auto or Apple Car Pay, they're pretty much the best things since sliced bread.
Why do people think sliced bread is a good thing? Horrible thin slices - not for real men!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Banned

Yes, the difference is I don't have to have an unsightly phone mount either up on my dash blocking my field of view of the road, or blocking an air vent, with an unsightly cord running to the cigarette lighter (or where ever). WIth android auto, you plug the phone in INSIDE the console and then all the apps (that are android auto compatable anyway) are on your infotainment screen. Google maps, all the music apps, also messages can pop up on the screen and you can hit it and it will say "Jim says 'what time are you arriving?' would you like to reply?" and you can say yes, it'll ask you what the message is, it will confirm it and ask if you want to send or change and you say send it and then you just texted while driving without ever touching your phone or taking your eyes off the road. If you're not familiar with Android Auto or Apple Car Pay, they're pretty much the best things since sliced bread. You had sliced bread back with Johnson was president, right?
Thats why I tuck the power cord away, which in our car literally takes 2 mins to hide under the center tunnel trim from the armrest. Don't you need a phone power cord, eitherway?

So its is basically a tidy but limited phone interface, minus concurrent screen functionality, correct?

But without a phone mount, where do you put the real phone? Serious question. I use my phone lot while driving (shhhh) to join virtual meetings, use my calendar, make hotel and airline reservations, lightly browse the internet, amazon, banking, etc. And frankly I want the microwave radiation off my body unless I have no choice. As far as voice control obviously phones have it too, my experience has been a 2 out of 10, drop to 0 out of 10 using my Audi's built-in disaster.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to my crotchity old brain, I am surely missing something or maybe its generational preferences.

Can we please go back to functionally flawless analog jewelry like the expensive cars have?

Last edited by RacerX; 02-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:31 AM

Thats why I tuck the usb power cord away, which in our car literally takes 2 mins to hide under the center tunnel trim from the armrest.

So its is basically a tidy but limited phone interface, minus concurrent screen functionality, correct?

But without a phone mount, where do you put the real phone? Serious question. I use my phone lot while driving (shhhh) to join virtual meetings, use my calendar, make hotel and airline reservations, etc. And frankly I want the microwave radiation off my body unless I have no choice. As far as voice control, my experience has been a 2 out of 10, drop to 0 out of 10 using my Audi's built-in disaster.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to my crotchity old brain, I am surely missing something or maybe its generation preferences.

Can we please go back to functionally flawless analog jewelry like expensive cars have?
It's not just tidy, it's an entirely different interface. And you put the phone in the console, I said that. There's a USB port in there. Just plug it in and close the console and it's out of sight out of mind. And the interface is so much better than just using your phone. For example, if you're using google maps but you want to listen to the radio, you can totally do that with android auto and sill have maps up on the screen. using your phone, you won't hear the turn by turn because you have to be in bluetooth mode to hear what's coming from the phone, not radio. There are SO many reasons why it's better to use Android Auto than just your phone. I might go out to the vette and make a video for you so you can see the difference. It sounds like you use your phone FAR too much while driving, but I'm not going to lecture you on that. But check this site about it. Will give you a bit more depth. https://www.android.com/auto/ Frankly even if I did have to have an unsightly dash mount to use Android Auto, I'd still want it. There's no comparison to using your phone

Old 02-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Banned

It's not just tidy, it's an entirely different interface. And you put the phone in the console, I said that. There's a USB port in there. Just plug it in and close the console and it's out of sight out of mind. And the interface is so much better than just using your phone. For example, if you're using google maps but you want to listen to the radio, you can totally do that with android auto and sill have maps up on the screen. using your phone, you won't hear the turn by turn because you have to be in bluetooth mode to hear what's coming from the phone, not radio. There are SO many reasons why it's better to use Android Auto than just your phone. I might go out to the vette and make a video for you so you can see the difference. It sounds like you use your phone FAR too much while driving, but I'm not going to lecture you on that. But check this site about it. Will give you a bit more depth. https://www.android.com/auto/ Frankly even if I did have to have an unsightly dash mount to use Android Auto, I'd still want it. There's no comparison to using your phone
I said, shhhhh! Opening the center console takes more time than plunking onto a magnet IMO, and it would never work for me cuz I would still need mounted phone access.

Phones already pass turn by turn audio and other sounds though the BT and mute music temporarily. I think this dinosaur might use his phone for more important things than carplay facilitates.

I would love to make the argument that it denies concurrent use of the center screen, but it does almost nothing of value to me beyond maybe changing air flow, which makes so much more sense without a touchscreen. Centers screens in every car I've driven annoy me.

IMO the F would be so much better off saving the weight and putting all that wasted money into Pagani-like gauges.

Its a bit of a moot point, though, isn't carplay a free upgrade from Jag for MY17 and newer?

Last edited by RacerX; 02-05-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 AM

I said, shhhhh! Opening the center console takes more time than plunking onto a magnet IMO, and it would never work for me cuz I would still need phone access.

Phones already pass turn by turn audio and other sounds though the BT and mute music temporarily. I think this dinosaur might use his phone for more important things than carplay facilitates.

Its a bit of a moot point, though, isn't carplay a free upgrade from Jag for MY17 and newer?
I think it's only available for 19+, but don't quote me on that. And you CAN use android auto with your magnet situation, but dear god man, if you're using your phone that much in the car, I don't know how you haven't been in an accident yet. Again not going to lecture you with statistics and facts about reaction time and eyes off the road and multitasking and all that because I'm sure you know. It's just terribly inconsiderate. But you're in FL and there are FAR worse things in Florida than texting and driving (just put "florida man" in a google search bar and see all the auto complete results) and I don't have to worry about you causing an accident on my commute to/from work and making it take an extra hour so it's none of my bidness I suppose. And regardless of all that, the whole point of this thread was to find a solution for ME and I do want android auto.

I also spoke to a local stereo install shop and apparently there adapters for it from a company called Nav Tool, so I'm going to check that out. I still think the factory head unit is pretty garbage, but I don't want to spend like 2 grand buying one from china and getting it installed, so I may just go with the adapter option https://www.navtool.com/jaguar-f-typ...-category.aspx

Old 02-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

oops, ignore.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Banned

I think it's only available for 19+, but don't quote me on that. And you CAN use android auto with your magnet situation, but dear god man, if you're using your phone that much in the car, I don't know how you haven't been in an accident yet. Again not going to lecture you with statistics and facts about reaction time and eyes off the road and multitasking and all that because I'm sure you know. It's just terribly inconsiderate. But you're in FL and there are FAR worse things in Florida than texting and driving (just put "florida man" in a google search bar and see all the auto complete results) and I don't have to worry about you causing an accident on my commute to/from work and making it take an extra hour so it's none of my bidness I suppose. And regardless of all that, the whole point of this thread was to find a solution for ME and I do want android auto.

I also spoke to a local stereo install shop and apparently there adapters for it from a company called Nav Tool, so I'm going to check that out. I still think the factory head unit is pretty garbage, but I don't want to spend like 2 grand buying one from china and getting it installed, so I may just go with the adapter option https://www.navtool.com/jaguar-f-typ...-category.aspx
Thats cool. I just can't believe I need more physical access to my phone than "young" people. You've ruined my day.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Why do people think sliced bread is a good thing?

Sliced bread is a loaf of bread that has been sliced with a machine and packaged for convenience. It was first sold in 1928, advertised as "the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped". This led to the popular idiom "greatest thing since sliced bread".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I remember unsliced bread, it wasn't so bad.

scm (02-05-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM

After the stereo shop guy took a look at the head unit on alibaba, he actually recommended I get it instead of one of the adapters, so I placed an order. I'll update when I receive it and get it installed. Since it's coming from China, that'll probably be like 2023...

David Meier (03-24-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

For me the ideal set up is the Scosche Mount. The phone is high up but does not interfere with the view of the road and is pretty much line of sight.
I display waze and ask Siri to make calls, send texts, play music etc all hands free.
The car screen is rarely used. Perhaps to display music tracks or to prompt to read out loud incoming texts.
It works for me and I no longer feel I need CarPlay.
My wife’s Mazda 2 has CarPlay but the screen is high up unlike in the jag.
Horses for courses I guess.

Last edited by malbec; 02-06-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit (stereo)