F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket head unit (stereo)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
xcarlink or naviplus will provide interface to give you android/carplay using existing screen - thats the best option for us atm
I'd highly recommend anyone looking for this solution to check out Unique Auto Developments in the UK.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/

After a horrible experience with Xcarlink and the complexity of NaviPlus, this is the best bang for the money! I have this installed in my MY16, works great. Adds a ton of extra functionality and their customer service has been really good.

The following users liked this post:
FType4Me (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skizot
I'd highly recommend anyone looking for this solution to check out Unique Auto Developments in the UK.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/

After a horrible experience with Xcarlink and the complexity of NaviPlus, this is the best bang for the money! I have this installed in my MY16, works great. Adds a ton of extra functionality and their customer service has been really good.
Interesting. Is that just an adapter, or a whole display? $650 seems STEEP for just an adapter, but might be the way to go. Also it says it's only compatible with the Bosch system and I believe I have the harman. I'm not sure though. Any way to verify?

Old 04-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kona
Interesting. Is that just an adapter, or a whole display? $650 seems STEEP for just an adapter, but might be the way to go. Also it says it's only compatible with the Bosch system and I believe I have the harman. I'm not sure though. Any way to verify?
Does your screen have a valet option top corner? If not. It’s Harmon. If yes. It’s probably Bosch. It is just an adapter but does bring other capabilities.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:30 AM

No valet button. Top right button is Mode button. I emailed them with the VIN to see if it's compatible. Guessing it'll be tomorrow before I hear back since it's after 5pm there

Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 AM

No valet button. Top right button is Mode button. I emailed them with the VIN to see if it's compatible. Guessing it'll be tomorrow before I hear back since it's after 5pm there
OK, so you most likely have the Harman System and it is not yet compatible. There are different connections between the nav unit and the screen. Your year car is awkward as it is right before the free upgrade to Smartphone pack which enabled Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but right after the InControl Plus (IAMP 2.1 Level 3) systems. I only know this from my massive issue with trying to get this going in my car. Technically you should be able to update for free to the software, but JLR does not support it in the F-Type 8" screen, only if you had the 10" variety. It's a nightmare scenario IMO for the end user.

Here are some examples of this installed and working in my car using the UAD solution for others that might be interested and would work in their car.

The following 3 users liked this post by skizot:
FType4Me (04-13-2020), Paul champagne (06-08-2020), XJ8JR (04-15-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

The only thing preventing me from taking the plunge is the lack of steering wheel control...

Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 PM

OK, so you most likely have the Harman System and it is not yet compatible. There are different connections between the nav unit and the screen. Your year car is awkward as it is right before the free upgrade to Smartphone pack which enabled Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but right after the InControl Plus (IAMP 2.1 Level 3) systems. I only know this from my massive issue with trying to get this going in my car. Technically you should be able to update for free to the software, but JLR does not support it in the F-Type 8" screen, only if you had the 10" variety. It's a nightmare scenario IMO for the end user.

Here are some examples of this installed and working in my car using the UAD solution for others that might be interested and would work in their car.
Looking at your pic, your head unit looks exactly like mine. You have the mode button in the upper right too. Where is the valet button you're referring to?

Old 04-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Looking at your pic, your head unit looks exactly like mine. You have the mode button in the upper right too. Where is the valet button you're referring to?
The valet button appears on one of the display pages.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:21 PM

see attached.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Ohhhhhh yeah I do have that.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Ohhhhhh yeah I do have that.
I’m about 99% certain you have the Bosch screen then and this would work.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:49 PM

I’m about 99% certain you have the Bosch screen then and this would work.
Cool. So what specific equipment does this entail? Does it still use the processor from the factory unit? How does it work? Does it completely change the display, or does that just add an extra screen? I would really like to be able to make some crossover adjustments to filter out the mids and highs from my subs. I think there's an app that allows that within android auto, but I'm not totally sure. I can probably get this info from the manufacturer but they haven't replied to my email yet

Old 04-13-2020, 07:39 PM

Cool. So what specific equipment does this entail? Does it still use the processor from the factory unit? How does it work? Does it completely change the display, or does that just add an extra screen? I would really like to be able to make some crossover adjustments to filter out the mids and highs from my subs. I think there's an app that allows that within android auto, but I'm not totally sure. I can probably get this info from the manufacturer but they haven't replied to my email yet
I just did this install and can give a high level overview on this solution and the great experience I have had with them. First, it does have a software EQ application that can help with some of the range of sounds and works really well. It is built into the solution and work with BOTH Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which this supports equally. It also supports phone mirroring, so you could mirror the entire phone (even while in motion) and supports OEM backup camera or you can use a 3rd party one as well. You could even add a front facing camera or other video input (i.e. Analog or HDMI).

The unit itself is true plug and play. It offers BOTH wired and wireless connectivity which is a bonus. The entire install can be done in less then an hour (30 minutes if you are familiar with the car.

It basically piggybacks off the factory nav unit and breaks in-between the signal going to the main screen. The factory navigation will no longer work, but now you can use whatever 3rd party nav you'd like. All other factory functionality is kept with the exception of the steering wheel controls for advance and previous (when using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) otherwise it works fine when using another source like Bluetooth.

The audio for the units is played through the AUX port (you will need to run a cable when you do the install and I recommend purchasing an in-line ground loop isolator that is not included with the kit (~$10). You can switch back and forth between this unit and factory functionality, minus the navigation. However the trip logging, remote store, SOS, etc still works as the factory nav is still plugged in, just no longer plugged into the screen to see it. So even that works like normal. There is an external mic to let Siri or whatever work, but that is easy to install and secure hidden.

They give you very detailed steps to install. There is a great YouTube video on the install here:

I did most of what they show in the video, however I was able to secure the device right on top of the factory nav unit and it sits perfect in that spot. The video does not show this, but I would recommend removing the trim around the shifter as well as the AC controls at the start to make it easier to work back there and neatly run the cables needed. You will see what I am referring to at exactly 2:00 into the video as they have pulled those pieces out by then. The metal (faceless box) you see at the 2 minute mark is the factory nav unit and the IDCORE box WILL fit snugly, but perfectly on top of this once reassembled between that and the screen. That is where mine sits.

I did have to work with them on getting an update to make the touch screen work and they also gave another update to give a hardware reset, but they are available via Chat as well as email and very good to respond.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions as I had some issues that came up during install, but they were great about getting it resolved and I love this system now that it is working. It is pricey for what it does, but the screen mirroring, extra video inputs, ability to keep most of the factory capabilities. This is a game changer (for me) on what I felt like was lacking in the infotainment setup of this otherwise amazing car.

Last edited by skizot; 04-13-2020 at 07:44 PM.
XJ8JR (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 AM

@skizot Thanks dude. I think it sounds like this is going to be the way to go. Even if I can get the factory head unit from a 2020 to work, I imagine it's going to cost a couple thousand because, you know, Jaguar. Once they have replied and confirmed it will work with my VIN, I'll probably go ahead and order. Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Yep, they confirmed it will fit and I got about $30 off with an easter coupon code. Will let you know how it turns out!

Old 04-14-2020, 12:49 PM

Yep, they confirmed it will fit and I got about $30 off with an easter coupon code. Will let you know how it turns out!
Just an FYI. I can help, so feel free to PM me with questions, but the install is pretty straight forward. They are available via chat as well as email. I was started to get frustrated with them because I had used up all my patience with Xcarlink solution that I had to return twice, but ultimately, they came through like a champ. Here are some tips to help with the install, that they don't necessarily lay out for you:

1.) Get a good in-line ground loop filter for the Aux cable. Here is an example of the one I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3mm+ground+loop+isolator+aux&qid=1586886012&sr=8-1-fkmr1 https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3mm+ground+loop+isolator+aux&qid=1586886012&sr=8-1-fkmr1

2.) Get yourself a 2-3FT USB Extension cable (OR) be prepared to run the Phone cable through the inside of your center console down the passenger side. The panel there pops out really easily and you have direct access to behind the screen through the corner once you run all your cables. Either way, you can easily pop out the center console USB/Aux Power panel and run the cables behind there (I made a small notch underneath this for my cables to come into the center console.

3.) Microsoft provided is small, but works really well. I placed mine in the corner (Drivers Side) where the shifter trim panel meets just below the AC controls. Right on the outside of where the Start/Stop button is. There is a perfect, isolated place there and you can run the cable behind it. You'd almost not even noticed it unless I told you to look.

4.) Ask them ahead of delivery if your unit will come with the latest software update installed. It should, but confirm. This adds a hardware reset by holding down the OEM NAV button for 3 seconds.

5.) Be careful of the small wireless WIFI antenna that sticks out of the unit. If you place your unit like I did, right above the factory navigation, there is enough room for this to stick out slightly, but the small black plastic cover is prone to popping off. Mine came off and fell into the dash, but it still works fine without it.

6.) Test EVERYTHING before you reassemble your dash. You can easily connect everything back without all the trim and screws to test. I had to take my car apart at least 8 times between the terrible Xcarlink solution and this one until I got it right. I could literally take my dash and screen out and put back together now in like 20 minutes I've done it so many times, but still. Test and confirm everything to avoid having to keep popping off trim panels that are a pain in the ***.

7.) Disconnect battery for at least a minute after the install is done and tested. It helped me solve a weird battery drain/remote start issue I was having. YMMV but I would recommend it.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Just an FYI. I can help, so feel free to PM me with questions, but the install is pretty straight forward. They are available via chat as well as email. I was started to get frustrated with them because I had used up all my patience with Xcarlink solution that I had to return twice, but ultimately, they came through like a champ. Here are some tips to help with the install, that they don't necessarily lay out for you:

1.) Get a good in-line ground loop filter for the Aux cable. Here is an example of the one I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-I...2&sr=8-1-fkmr1

2.) Get yourself a 2-3FT USB Extension cable (OR) be prepared to run the Phone cable through the inside of your center console down the passenger side. The panel there pops out really easily and you have direct access to behind the screen through the corner once you run all your cables. Either way, you can easily pop out the center console USB/Aux Power panel and run the cables behind there (I made a small notch underneath this for my cables to come into the center console.

3.) Microsoft provided is small, but works really well. I placed mine in the corner (Drivers Side) where the shifter trim panel meets just below the AC controls. Right on the outside of where the Start/Stop button is. There is a perfect, isolated place there and you can run the cable behind it. You'd almost not even noticed it unless I told you to look.

4.) Ask them ahead of delivery if your unit will come with the latest software update installed. It should, but confirm. This adds a hardware reset by holding down the OEM NAV button for 3 seconds.

5.) Be careful of the small wireless WIFI antenna that sticks out of the unit. If you place your unit like I did, right above the factory navigation, there is enough room for this to stick out slightly, but the small black plastic cover is prone to popping off. Mine came off and fell into the dash, but it still works fine without it.

6.) Test EVERYTHING before you reassemble your dash. You can easily connect everything back without all the trim and screws to test. I had to take my car apart at least 8 times between the terrible Xcarlink solution and this one until I got it right. I could literally take my dash and screen out and put back together now in like 20 minutes I've done it so many times, but still. Test and confirm everything to avoid having to keep popping off trim panels that are a pain in the ***.

7.) Disconnect battery for at least a minute after the install is done and tested. It helped me solve a weird battery drain/remote start issue I was having. YMMV but I would recommend it.
I appreciate all the tips, but I've got a stereo shop that will install it for me. I have no desire to deal with the headache of it, and they're pretty cheap and will come to my house. Definitely worth the money! I'll ping you though, if they have any issues and I'll pass this info on to them. Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem to know a lot about the different head units. I recently purchased a 2017 model F-type. It has the 8” InControl unit with an on screen valet button. Sounds like I have the Bosch unit? I checked out the Unique Auto website and the fitment is for 2014-2016. Do you know of an option for 2017 models? Thanks

Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mickeyjagger
You seem to know a lot about the different head units. I recently purchased a 2017 model F-type. It has the 8” InControl unit with an on screen valet button. Sounds like I have the Bosch unit? I checked out the Unique Auto website and the fitment is for 2014-2016. Do you know of an option for 2017 models? Thanks
Best thing you can do is reach out to UAD to ask. I would assume (not confident) that because you have the VALET option it is the BOSCH screen and would work. Send them your VIN and some pictures and they can confirm.

They were able to get it working on my car that is some sort of hybrid of parts between the 15-17 MY versions.

Mickeyjagger (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

BTW, to all interested, I purchased the Naviplus unit as they say the steering wheel controls work with the unit.

​​​​For anyone on the fence, wait a couple of weeks and I'll let you know my thoughts. Being the Guinea pig here! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit (stereo)