F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket head unit (stereo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond3
I've got a Jaguar XE 2017 with the old unit with the physical buttons on the side. Here's what I'm looking for: I'm simply looking to install a front bumper camera, and maybe be able to also play Youtube on the head unit. What are the chances either of these are able to be done on the factory head unit?
I don’t know, and you might want to post your question to the XE forum instead, but UAD does make a model that seems to do what you want: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...ace-2016-2018/

it does supports aftermarket front and rear cameras, and i don’t think YouTube is available built-in to either android auto or CarPlay but you could probably use the screen mirroring feature to accomplish that. Again, I don’t have firsthand experience with either, but good luck.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Received 397 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
I don’t know, and you might want to post your question to the XE forum instead, but UAD does make a model that seems to do what you want: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...ace-2016-2018/

it does supports aftermarket front and rear cameras, and i don’t think YouTube is available built-in to either android auto or CarPlay but you could probably use the screen mirroring feature to accomplish that. Again, I don’t have firsthand experience with either, but good luck.
this is the solution. I don’t show it in the video but you can see how easy it would be to add a front facing camera and access it.

The following 3 users liked this post by skizot:
djyankees31 (05-24-2020), fuzzysquid (05-24-2020), Srqsvr (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. I’ve been considering the same myself. Anything you don’t like about the system? Also I notice to the right of the shift you have a magnetic phone holder. Is that placed in the coin slot where the roof control would be for a convertible? I have the same phone mount but plugged into the lighter.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

just watched that video

i have a few unanswered questions though on the UAD - i messaged them directly too - do the forward/back buttons on steering wheel work on their unit for eg

I know the naviplus unit has them enabled now

Also i'm not sure how much of an issue losing oe nav will be when you're in an area where you have no phone reception to run nav maps off your phone - i know your phone buffers the maps and you still have gps, but you wouldn't be able to input a destination to get back home for example if you have no phone reception

The UAD unit has that clever reset functionality, i think they need to come up with a work around to keep oe nav enabled and cycle the carplay module to turn on/off as needed

Last edited by domino_z; 05-24-2020 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you! Someone similar questions as others, do the previous and forward buttons from the steering wheel still work? And can the existing back up camera work on this UAD unit or do you have to install a new back up camera?

Old 05-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK for the UAD unit - the forward & back buttons don't work, and you can use the factory back up camera just fine (there's some dip switch settings on the UAD unit for this).

Old 05-29-2020, 01:47 PM

That's correct, back and forward steering wheel buttons do not do anything on UAD. This is the main, and only downside in my experience.

Factory rear camera works perfectly.

You also have the option of installing aftermarket front/rear cameras as well.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the info here I ordered the UAD unit and installed it last night. One thing I noticed is that it seems like it's always stuck in dark mode in Android Auto. On my Cadillac with factory AA it switches between dark and light based on the headlights. Is that not a thing with the UAD one?

Also, so far I haven't had any luck getting wireless Android Auto to work even though my phone supposedly supports it. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work though. I noticed there was a button for it in the UAD Android settings, but when I press that it just goes to a black screen with a home button. From what I can find the way wireless AA is supposed to work is you connect with the cord once, then from then on it will do it wirelessly. I've never had a car with wireless AA support though, so I'm not sure if it's the UAD unit or my phone.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:32 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Re steering wheel controls

pretty sure I read post in fb group from a UAD owner that they can work if you leave the phone connected to oe bluetooth

no idea how that works within the menu system or functionality of carplay module but perhaps something for you guys to look into

Old 05-31-2020, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to the wireless Android Auto question I posted earlier, I'm not sure what I did differently but I noticed after a little bit a big Android Auto icon popped up over the UAC menu with my phone name, and when I pressed the phone name it magically connected wirelessly. The first time I tried yesterday it popped up but never successfully connected, but I tried again today and it worked.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
Re steering wheel controls

pretty sure I read post in fb group from a UAD owner that they can work if you leave the phone connected to oe bluetooth

no idea how that works within the menu system or functionality of carplay module but perhaps something for you guys to look into
I experimented with this a little but haven’t gotten anything to work. Perhaps you need to be on a wired CarPlay connection; I’ve been using it wirelessly exclusively.

if anyone manages this, please leave an update here.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:01 AM

I've heard back from UAD support:

To use the steering wheel controls, you will need to be in music playback mode (iPhone connected to Jaguar factory bluetooth in Audio profile mode, with bluetooth audio selected on car radio as audio source)

In this mode you will be able to use the music controls, but you will not hear full range of sound (i.e siri prompts) but useful for music playback.
Which basically means, your OE bluetooth solution continues to work. I don't think there's a way to use prev and next with Carplay on the screen.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
I just did this install and can give a high level overview on this solution and the great experience I have had with them. First, it does have a software EQ application that can help with some of the range of sounds and works really well. It is built into the solution and work with BOTH Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which this supports equally. It also supports phone mirroring, so you could mirror the entire phone (even while in motion) and supports OEM backup camera or you can use a 3rd party one as well. You could even add a front facing camera or other video input (i.e. Analog or HDMI).

The unit itself is true plug and play. It offers BOTH wired and wireless connectivity which is a bonus. The entire install can be done in less then an hour (30 minutes if you are familiar with the car.

It basically piggybacks off the factory nav unit and breaks in-between the signal going to the main screen. The factory navigation will no longer work, but now you can use whatever 3rd party nav you'd like. All other factory functionality is kept with the exception of the steering wheel controls for advance and previous (when using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) otherwise it works fine when using another source like Bluetooth.

The audio for the units is played through the AUX port (you will need to run a cable when you do the install and I recommend purchasing an in-line ground loop isolator that is not included with the kit (~$10). You can switch back and forth between this unit and factory functionality, minus the navigation. However the trip logging, remote store, SOS, etc still works as the factory nav is still plugged in, just no longer plugged into the screen to see it. So even that works like normal. There is an external mic to let Siri or whatever work, but that is easy to install and secure hidden.

They give you very detailed steps to install. There is a great YouTube video on the install here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWO6Wpuv_ws

I did most of what they show in the video, however I was able to secure the device right on top of the factory nav unit and it sits perfect in that spot. The video does not show this, but I would recommend removing the trim around the shifter as well as the AC controls at the start to make it easier to work back there and neatly run the cables needed. You will see what I am referring to at exactly 2:00 into the video as they have pulled those pieces out by then. The metal (faceless box) you see at the 2 minute mark is the factory nav unit and the IDCORE box WILL fit snugly, but perfectly on top of this once reassembled between that and the screen. That is where mine sits.

I did have to work with them on getting an update to make the touch screen work and they also gave another update to give a hardware reset, but they are available via Chat as well as email and very good to respond.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions as I had some issues that came up during install, but they were great about getting it resolved and I love this system now that it is working. It is pricey for what it does, but the screen mirroring, extra video inputs, ability to keep most of the factory capabilities. This is a game changer (for me) on what I felt like was lacking in the infotainment setup of this otherwise amazing car.
Thanks for the insights on your install. I do have a question for you: I understand that any music you would play from your phone, would go through the aux of the car. But if you play the car's radio, does the sound then come through the sound system as usual. And in that case, do the steering wheel controls work?
Thanks again

Old 06-08-2020, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still haven't installed mine. It's still sitting in the box. Also, looks like I'm about to sell the F-Type, so if anyone wants one of these new in box for a discount, PM me and we'll work something out.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kona
I still haven't installed mine. It's still sitting in the box. Also, looks like I'm about to sell the F-Type, so if anyone wants one of these new in box for a discount, PM me and we'll work something out.
What year is your car?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
What year is your car?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 PM

I will have to check if your model will work with my car.
Will let you know

Old 06-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
I will have to check if your model will work with my car.
Will let you know
If you have the Bosch system it's compatible

Old 06-08-2020, 08:47 PM

If you have the Bosch system it's compatible
Either PM me or post your price please

Old 06-14-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Which basically means, your OE bluetooth solution continues to work. I don't think there's a way to use prev and next with Carplay on the screen.
To clarify this a bit, you can select Bluetooth as the audio source instead of aux in the oem stereo interface, which will route music from your phone to the speakers. (This is essentially stock functionality.) You can then put the CarPlay interface onto the screen by selecting the physical Nav button, which will allow you to view/control audio playback on your phone via the screen. At this point you can use the steering wheel back/forward buttons to control song playback (via Bluetooth). But you will *not* be able to hear navigation prompts from Siri as that is playing through the Aux and not Bluetooth, I guess.

So in my setup, I’d be choosing between hearing navigation guidance and being able to change songs from the steering wheel—can’t do both at the same time.

Last edited by fuzzysquid; 06-14-2020 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (06-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit (stereo)