F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket head unit (stereo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
To clarify this a bit, you can select Bluetooth as the audio source instead of aux in the oem stereo interface, which will route music from your phone to the speakers. (This is essentially stock functionality.) You can then put the CarPlay interface onto the screen by selecting the physical Nav button, which will allow you to view/control audio playback on your phone via the screen. At this point you can use the steering wheel back/forward buttons to control song playback (via Bluetooth). But you will *not* be able to hear navigation prompts from Siri as that is playing through the Aux and not Bluetooth, I guess.

So in my setup, I’d be choosing between hearing navigation guidance and being able to change songs from the steering wheel—can’t do both at the same time.
So to clarify further, if you choose anything other than aux for the audio source, you can still use CarPlay or Android Auto, but you would not be able to hear the prompts. Is that correct?

Old 06-15-2020, 02:01 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
So to clarify further, if you choose anything other than aux for the audio source, you can still use CarPlay or Android Auto, but you would not be able to hear the prompts. Is that correct?
Sorry I’ve only done brief testing, and only on iPhone/CarPlay, but seems like whatever the phone decides to send through Bluetooth while also connected to CarPlay/Android Auto will be heard. In my case, it was music but not Apple Maps nav guidance. I know there’s a setting that will force the iPhone to send phone calls through Bluetooth even when connected to CarPlay, but haven’t tested that. I don’t know about 3rd party audio apps.

But if you’re asking if you can have terrestrial radio, or CD, or other sources playing while seeing (but not hearing) the CarPlay interface, then yes.

Last edited by fuzzysquid; 06-15-2020 at 02:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI, there was a firmware update on June 5th, that fixes an issue I was seeing: not being able to tap incoming text messages on carplay, and it's specific to JLR fitments. I emailed UAD to request the update file and I'm waiting to hear back.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/software-updates/

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (06-15-2020)