F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 04:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Remote Start?

Does anyone have a aftermarket remote start on their f type? This in-control app does not work for ****.... Paid $69 for the year and it doesn't communicate with the car. I should have realized all the app reviews were right.

I would be interested in getting an aftermarket remote anyways. They look cool and are normally super reliable with any other car i've owned.

I'm afraid it might be very difficult installing however, and I don't know how comfortable I am allowing someone to put one in who hasn't done it before on our particular car.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-16-2023, 05:39 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

My remote start works from the InControl app.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:33 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, my remote start works fine too. Perhaps get the shop to look at that before you invest in an aftermarket one. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling an app helps? No technical boffin me!

Old 04-17-2023, 02:32 PM

I called today.. they said my remote wasn't working because I don't have the latest software in the car. I have to go and get it updated.. I'm sure I wont be able to get it updated for anything less than like $500.00 dealerships are so stupidly expensive for everything.

I'd like to just get an aftermarket but I know these cars are so damn touchy with everything, and if something goes wrong it won't be a cheap fix.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:53 PM

Just called today and it's $200.00 to do a software update on the car from the dealership in order to get in-control to work lmfao

Old 04-18-2023, 03:23 AM

My car is a 2015, and I've never had a software update. Remote start still works.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:52 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson
Just called today and it's $200.00 to do a software update on the car from the dealership in order to get in-control to work lmfao
That's less than any remote starter. I'm not a fan. My son has one in his Accord. We've never been able to completely disable it. Never mind carrying around another remote fob. Stuff those two remotes in your pocket, you'll look like an excited ballet dancer...

Old 04-18-2023, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
That's less than any remote starter. I'm not a fan. My son has one in his Accord. We've never been able to completely disable it. Never mind carrying around another remote fob. Stuff those two remotes in your pocket, you'll look like an excited ballet dancer...
It sucks cause dibbyandco said his is 2015 and hasn't been updated and works perfectly fine.

The dealership said if it hasn't been updated in awhile their screen might black out and then they said I need to PURCHASE A $2000.00 NEW MODULE! LOL.... They told me they won't know forsure until I bring it in and they try updating it. Last night it randomly decided to work perfectly fine (or so I thought).... It was updating and everything on my phone but then when I clicked on climate control it said my windows were rolled down even though they were fully up. So the car never started on its own. Now today it is back to not responding to anything. This app is terrible.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:22 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson
It sucks cause dibbyandco said his is 2015 and hasn't been updated and works perfectly fine.

The dealership said if it hasn't been updated in awhile their screen might black out and then they said I need to PURCHASE A $2000.00 NEW MODULE! LOL.... They told me they won't know forsure until I bring it in and they try updating it. Last night it randomly decided to work perfectly fine (or so I thought).... It was updating and everything on my phone but then when I clicked on climate control it said my windows were rolled down even though they were fully up. So the car never started on its own. Now today it is back to not responding to anything. This app is terrible.
Just a FYI but this happened with my 2022 just this past Saturday. It was parked in a friend's driveway and as we were about to leave in their car I realized I hadn't locked mine so I opened the app to do so and Jaguar Remote reported that my windows were down, which they were not.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:53 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Don't expect that app to update when you first open it. I've had the same 'misreporting' but what happens is the app doesn't always communicate with the car until you send a command. The app will say at the top when it last talked to the car, even if it looks like the data below is refreshed. Click on the Remote icon, wait for it to update and it should say 'Just Now' in the corner, which means it's updated. Now go back to the home screen and the data/status should be accurate.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:21 AM

I think sometimes when the car is left for a while and "Hibernates" the app stops communicating.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
I think sometimes when the car is left for a while and "Hibernates" the app stops communicating.
No need to think - it does! After 4 days of no use the car goes into hibernation - you need to restart it to wake it up. Or you can set the wakeup timer.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would call JLR North America and speak with them about the Incontrol app. If you have a subscription and you are a registered user the app should work. I had issues when I first purchased my car and the dealership was more confusing than helpful, I called JLR direct and it took about 15 minutes and the app was up and running.

Old 04-23-2023, 03:33 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

If you do ever end up going aftermarket let me know! I looked and couldn't find anything for my 6MT, it would be nice,

Old 04-23-2023, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

I've a 2018 R-DYNAMIC bought from new, does this remote start have to be ordered from new as extra or can I get it to work, no nothing about this feature , EXPLAIN please

Old 04-23-2023, 05:48 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
I've a 2018 R-DYNAMIC bought from new, does this remote start have to be ordered from new as extra or can I get it to work, know nothing about this feature , EXPLAIN please
Do you have the Jaguar Remote app? And are you registered with InControl? If so, the app will tell you if you have remote start.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Do you have the Jaguar Remote app? And are you registered with InControl? If so, the app will tell you if you have remote start.
No, never even heard of it, can I get it

Old 04-23-2023, 07:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Assuming you have a smartphone, just download it from the appropriate app store.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Assuming you have a smartphone, just download it from the appropriate app store.
so did download and got to part where I put in my chassis 8 didgt number but keep getting error message, maybe I need to contact dealer

Old 04-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
so did download and got to part where I put in my chassis 8 didgt number but keep getting error message, maybe I need to contact dealer
If your dealer is not helpful, call Jaguar North America. My dealership was woefully ignorant of the workings of InControl. My SIM had not been registered and my contacts at the dealership did not know the vehicle had its own telephone number. Not being that up on the technology myself, I contacted Jaguar directly and between them and AT&T (the cellular provider) the technology works mostly as designed, including remote start, lock, Journeys, etc.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Remote Start?