Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels

I've gotten bored with my (Orbit) wheels and am going to switch to aftermarket because I don't like any of the Jaguar offerings.

As part of the shopping process I pulled together a palette of different wheel styles, which I thought I'd share in case others find it useful.

While it's totally subjective, I think very simple wheel lines work well with the minimal design lines of the car. In particular, concave wheels should provide some really nice contouring to the stance, bringing the F-Type back towards the classic Jaguar feline lines (D-type, C-type, etc).

I find that the OEM Jaguar wheels tend to use flatter sidewalls which give the car a squarer stance at the bottom which doesn't really match the voluptuous lines on the chassis.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Here's an example of what concave wheels can do to create a more sculpted look for the car.

jaguny (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The bottom pic is just drop dead gorgeous.
You can definitely see the shared designer with Aston Martin.

schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Docmalone
Agreed...that's the one I'm going with.

It's not for everyone, but I think i'm going a different direction with mods: I'm embracing the chrome (detailing, not wheels) and the classic lines to create a more timeless and classic look for the car, so that it's anchored into its Jaguar heritage.

Last edited by schraderade; 08-25-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the bottom too but I believe the design needs rounded and curvy corners to match the minimalist curvy design of the car

M51 | Brixton Forged Wheel Collection 2016
M53 | Brixton Forged Wheel Collection 2016

schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Docmalone
I very much agree. Don't often like aftermarket wheels, but these looked good!

schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

For many years I thought anything other than chrome was not desirable. Even though I am AARP I really like black rims now. Of course it depends on the color of the F-type. Black w/ black rims may be a little too Darth looking.

This is the only F-Type I've seen with actual chromed wheels and it is dated looking imo - on Ebay.

Some of the prices of the nicer forged wheels like the PURs make every curbside/parallel parking endeavor a terrifying experience. Worse yet - letting someone else drive.

If you really mess up and damage an aftermarket wheel down the road, hopefully a replacement cost won't be in the Stratosphere.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 08-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Here's an example of what concave wheels can do to create a more sculpted look for the car.

Is it correct to assume you photo shopped the wheel into the bottom photo?
And the wheel shown in the bottom photo is the same wheel shown at the top right of your first post?

I have looked at maybe two hundred different aftermarket wheels on the F-type, many before my coupe even arrived back in Nov. 2014. Spent hours photo shopping the ones I liked as I found many of the online configurators to be weak in their representation. At one point had several dozen prints taped all over the walls in my office. Loaded many into the desktop slideshow gadget on my PC so 10 or 20 identical images, each with nothing more than a wheel change would circulate in front of my eyes all day long... each time I thought I had settled on one I liked, I didn't like it as much after a few days, or found something else I liked better.

Now, almost two years later, I still have not been able to commit to a wheel I actually love, though the Jaguar OEM Black and Polish Storm wheels have become my favorite for the time being.

I agree 100% with your statement that the concave or deep concave wheels look best on this car. IMHO however, the wheel you chose for this 2nd image is not significantly different from your OEM Orbit wheels -- which I have always liked on your car by the way -- such that I wonder if you might be happier with a much different style of wheel than the straight 10-spoke design.

The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
Burt Gummer (08-26-2016), schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Schaderade, I like your selection. Concave and simple.

schraderade (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Is it correct to assume you photo shopped the wheel into the bottom photo?
And the wheel shown in the bottom photo is the same wheel shown at the top right of your first post?

... each time I thought I had settled on one I liked, I didn't like it as much after a few days, or found something else I liked better.

Now, almost two years later, I still have not been able to commit to a wheel I actually love, though the Jaguar OEM Black and Polish Storm wheels have become my favorite for the time being.
Yes to both questions.

Man, it's freaking overwhelming how many choices are out there....like picking a breakfast cereal.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the OEM storm, but decided after seeing them close up live that they weren't for me and I wanted something simpler and more sculpted. BTW if you like the Storm you may also like the Halcyon black and diamond turned wheels available on the F-Type SVR....there are a few aftermarket wheels very similar to that design.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Agreed...that's the one I'm going with.

It's not for everyone, but I think i'm going a different direction with mods: I'm embracing the chrome (detailing, not wheels) and the classic lines to create a more timeless and classic look for the car, so that it's anchored into its Jaguar heritage.
Yes bottom one definitely.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
For many years I thought anything other than chrome was not desirable. Even though I am AARP I really like black rims now. Of course it depends on the color of the F-type. Black w/ black rims may be a little too Darth looking.

This is the only F-Type I've seen with actual chromed wheels and it is dated looking imo - on Ebay.

Some of the prices of the nicer forged wheels like the PURs make every curbside/parallel parking endeavor a terrifying experience. Worse yet - letting someone else drive.

If you really mess up and damage an aftermarket wheel down the road, hopefully a replacement cost won't be in the Stratosphere.
I was never a fan of black wheels unless they were on a black car but that changed once I saw them on F-types. Now I don't want an f-type without black wheels. They look great on several colors.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

What brand are the wheels at the bottom.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

i've been looking at some brixton's as well. thier targa series wheels have a nice profile and they have some great designs.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

god damn it, now I'm thinking I need new wheels. Staying away from this forum for awhile...

schraderade (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes to both questions.

Man, it's freaking overwhelming how many choices are out there....like picking a breakfast cereal.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the OEM storm, but decided after seeing them close up live that they weren't for me and I wanted something simpler and more sculpted. BTW if you like the Storm you may also like the Halcyon black and diamond turned wheels available on the F-Type SVR....there are a few aftermarket wheels very similar to that design.
Did you mean Maelstrom? Have not found a Halcyon wheel

Old 08-28-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Did you mean Maelstrom? Have not found a Halcyon wheel
Holy antonyms!
Yes I meant maelstrom.