F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm needing 'double locking' to fully be on

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Alarm needing 'double locking' to fully be on

So, I've read the manual, and it says that you need to double lock the vehicle to get the full alarm system to be on.

to quote:
+++++++++

PERIMETER ALARM
No modifications or additions should be made to the alarm system. Such changes could cause the system to malfunction.
The perimeter alarm system is activated when the vehicle is single-locked. See 12, LOCKING AND ARMING THE ALARM.
Once activated, the alarm system will sound if: • The bonnet, luggage compartment or any
door is opened.
• The vehicle battery is disconnected.
• An attempt is made to disconnect the alarm siren.

FULL ALARM
The full alarm system is activated when the vehicle is double-locked. See 12, LOCKING AND ARMING THE ALARM.
Once activated the alarm system will sound if:
• The bonnet, luggage compartment or any
door is opened.
• Movement is detected within the vehicle
interior.
• A window, windscreen or rear screen are
broken.
• The vehicle is raised or tilted.
Exiting the vehicle
• The vehicle battery is disconnected.
• An attempt is made to disconnect the alarm
system.

+++++++++

Note that motion detection, smashed glass, tilt sensor are all only on when double locked.

This seems **** about face - I want that as the DEFAULT option like on most cars. On most cars you can do something like press lock a second time to disable the other stuff so only doors set it off, but why make people go through a second press of the keyfob or door handle EVERY time you lock the car.

Seems kinda mental ??

Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It's like that on most cars I've driven (1st for perimeter, 2nd for full arm), presumably so you can lock a car with a dog or child in it when, for example, leaving it to pay for fuel without having to know how the alarm system works. The alarm then sounds if a door is forced (or opened by reaching in through an open window).

Ok you probably won't have a dog or a child in an F Type, but the system is shared with every other model.

Some markets don't get double locking for some reason - I wonder how their alarm systems are configured? I ask because it may be possible to have yours reconfigured.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm ok - on convertibles I've had - it's the opposite - usually second press to disable interior movement, etc so it doesn't go off accidentally when roof down.

So no option to just make it activate fully on first press then ? I just have to press twice every time. humph... first world problem definition right enough -so I can live with it. sigh

Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Ok you probably won't have a dog or a child in an F Type, ...
I've seen nothing but dogs and children in an F-Type!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Interesting. My 2013 manual (for US 2014 MY) says nothing about double-locking. Drove me nuts, as there's a menu option related to double-locking, but I could find nothing in the manual as to what it does. (The original manual has many omissions like this.)

Is it even possible to double-lock with the door handle? It retracts, and I don't think pushing on it when it's retracted does anything?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've seen nothing but dogs and children in an F-Type!
I resemble that remark!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Confirmed

My 2016 F Type's manual does not refers to double locking, yet after reading this thread, I double clicked my fob and sure enough the car locks with a beep sound which is different then when I lock it with a single click or by pushing of the door handle.
This is important to know as it appears that double clicking provides additional security i.e. motion, glass brake, and tilt.
I'll let my Jaguar dealer know as they never mentioned it to me and it is a critical feature.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting. I never lock my car with the fob, always just push the handle in and walk away. I actually thought the double-button press to make the horn honk was optional in case you wanted people to hear it, for some odd reason.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Interesting. I never lock my car with the fob, always just push the handle in and walk away. I actually thought the double-button press to make the horn honk was optional in case you wanted people to hear it, for some odd reason.
I was always under the impression and what I have always used the double lock click for is to insure the car is locked when it is out of site after you walked away and then could not remember whether you locked it or not.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

There is nothing in the '16 owner's manual to indicate anything about double locking, but there is a single reference to double unlocking which appears to be an artifact from the previous version of the manual. I will play with the alarm this weekend and see if it truly needs to be double locked for interior motion sensing and vehicle motion sensing. (a car jack should set it off).

Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

There is nothing in the '16 owner's manual to indicate anything about double locking, but there is a single reference to double unlocking which appears to be an artifact from the previous version of the manual. I will play with the alarm this weekend and see if it truly needs to be double locked for interior motion sensing and vehicle motion sensing. (a car jack should set it off).
Beware: I recall reading in a much earlier post, maybe as far back as 2014, that double locking causes the battery to drain faster. May have been in an early thread about battery tenders. Don't have time to look it up an the moment.

Would make more sense now as more systems are apparently activated and on standby patrol when double-lock is engaged.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I single-lock, and have never seen any evidence of interior motion sensing with the top down - with the car locked, I can reach in and grab something from the seats or center console without triggering the alarm. Will have to experiment with double locking.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

There is no double locking on my 2016 convertible. If you press lock twice, there will be an audible, but you can still reach in and unlock the doors. The alarm will activate. On my BMW convertible, double locking deadbolts the doors so you could not open from the inside. There is no interior motion sensor. I haven't played with a possible tilt or shock sensor but my guess is that these are also fantasies.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Really looking forward to your results. Thanks for doing this.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Really looking forward to your results. Thanks for doing this.
My '16 only has only has perimeter (door ) sensing. No interior or exterior motion sensing. You can double lock while sitting on the inside (2 beeps) by hanging the fob out the window. Rocking the car (to the extent possible with lowering springs) or doing an Irish jig on the inside does not trigger the alarm. Only stepping out of the car triggers it. For personal reasons, I chose not to test for a glass shatter alarm.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

My '16 only has only has perimeter (door ) sensing. No interior or exterior motion sensing. You can double lock while sitting on the inside (2 beeps) by hanging the fob out the window. Rocking the car (to the extent possible with lowering springs) or doing an Irish jig on the inside does not trigger the alarm. Only stepping out of the car triggers it. For personal reasons, I chose not to test for a glass shatter alarm.
Hmm the results there a bit disappointing, but I really appreciate you doing the test. Totally understand you choosing to forego the glass shatter alarm. Any forum member want to do it? I'll throw some cash into the pot to reimburse you...

Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

There is no glass break sensor on the F Type in any markets.

There are volumetric and tilt sensors in some markets. The volumetric sensor is in the overhead console and uses the two little grilles to sense air movement inside the car, and as mentioned is only activated when the vehicle is double locked. When a window is broken that should be triggered by the air movement.

Double locking a car with keyless entry is easy - you just press the lock switch within 3 seconds of pushing in the door handle (the same little button in the handle used for opening a locked car). It is the same on all JLR keyless entry vehicles whether they have retractable handles or not. This was covered by my dealer in the handover. Note I am in the UK - I am unsure what options the US market gets.

Single locking will give one flash of the indicators. Double locking will give a second flash as well.

Note that the volumetric sensor is not active for the first 30 seconds after double locking to allow the air pressure to settle in the car after the doors were closed. If the roof is open on a convertible, or the windows are open, then the sensor is obviously not used.

Last edited by xdave; 08-27-2016 at 05:35 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by xdave:
DJS (08-27-2016), enderle (08-27-2016), IRRBrogue (08-27-2016), LobsterClaws (08-27-2016), Mbourne (08-27-2016), mjm3457 (08-27-2016), Unhingd (08-27-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

In my vert, single locking seemingly just did the doors and the glove box. Double locking locked the center console. I didn't check the storage on the back wall between the seats, but I'd bet that it works like console.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Single lock on my my locks glove box and rear cubby. Console never locks. Just has a plastic latch.