F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alignment help needed please

Just replaced the tires on my 2016 F-Type r at 7800 miles the inside rears were destroyed. The car is lowered on H&R springs and was aligned I took it back and they were able to adjust the fronts camber a little bit more but not the rears. From what I have found out on the forum is the rear camber is not adjustable.

Here are some pictures of my old tires can anyone advise on what to try?

Should toe be adjusted to help even wear?

I found this when searching any thoughts or experience:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-SUV-Ca...s/203129321324

Rear

Front

Rear

Front

Old 10-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Just over three years ago now I took my car to a professional suspension shop to get my VAP lowering springs fitted, and they did a full wheel alignment after.
That was with the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros on which were about half worn except for the inside edges which were worn waaay more than the middles or outside edges, much like those shown in your pics but not quite as bad.
I told the mechanic I was getting new tyres soon and he said "bring it back in for a new alignment afterwards, free of charge".
I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted two weeks later.
I decided to forego the follow-up wheel alignment and I have never needed it done again, and that was over three years ago, the car still steers and tracks perfectly.
Thing is the MPS4S have worn amazingly evenly across the tread, with just a smidge more wear on the inner edges than on the outer edges. And that's with lowering springs (admittedly the relatively small 7/8" drop of the VAP springs) vs the stock height springs with the badly worn P-Zeros, the opposite of what you would expect.
So one or both of two things are going on here:
1. The factory alignment was crap and the new alignment fixed it.
2. MPS4S wear a helluva lot more evenly than P-Zeros.
I reckon it is 90% 1. and 10% 2.
I have also seen reports on here that it's not the camber so much as the toe in / toe out causing the inner edges of the tyres to wear excessively quickly.

The following users liked this post:
RichardCranium (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

With the H&R springs, rear camber should come in at -2.5deg.
To minimize uneven wear, rear toe should be set at 0.10 - 0.15 deg.

For best handling, Front camber should be set at -2.0deg both sides and toe as close as possible to the positive side of zero. Caster at 7.2deg. It may track crowned surfaces a bit more, but holds the road better when canyon carving.

With these settings, I do not have noticeable uneven tire wear with the H&Rs.

The following users liked this post:
RichardCranium (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Just over three years ago now I took my car to a professional suspension shop to get my VAP lowering springs fitted, and they did a full wheel alignment after.
That was with the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros on which were about half worn except for the inside edges which were worn waaay more than the middles or outside edges, much like those shown in your pics but not quite as bad.
I told the mechanic I was getting new tyres soon and he said "bring it back in for a new alignment afterwards, free of charge".
I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted two weeks later.
I decided to forego the follow-up wheel alignment and I have never needed it done again, and that was over three years ago, the car still steers and tracks perfectly.
Thing is the MPS4S have worn amazingly evenly across the tread, with just a smidge more wear on the inner edges than on the outer edges. And that's with lowering springs (admittedly the relatively small 7/8" drop of the VAP springs) vs the stock height springs with the badly worn P-Zeros, the opposite of what you would expect.
So one or both of two things are going on here:
1. The factory alignment was crap and the new alignment fixed it.
2. MPS4S wear a helluva lot more evenly than P-Zeros.
I reckon it is 90% 1. and 10% 2.
I have also seen reports on here that it's not the camber so much as the toe in / toe out causing the inner edges of the tyres to wear excessively quickly.
Great information thank you. Pretty much same situation for me had springs put on at 3k miles and alignment with stock pzeros just installed MPS4S, and love em!

Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With the H&R springs, rear camber should come in at -2.5deg.
To minimize uneven wear, rear toe should be set at 0.10 - 0.15 deg.

For best handling, Front camber should be set at -2.0deg both sides and toe as close as possible to the positive side of zero. Caster at 7.2deg. It may track crowned surfaces a bit more, but holds the road better when canyon carving.

With these settings, I do not have noticeable uneven tire wear with the H&Rs.
Thank you Unhinged and as usual you the man!