F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Season Tires for 2018 F-Type SVR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default All-Season Tires for 2018 F-Type SVR

After perusing the forums, I see that many of you recommend replacing the OEM Pirellis. I had planned to do that later this year, but that plan has been rapidly accelerated after a mammoth pothole tore through one of them (day #5 of ownership, might I add).

The SVR is my daily driver (6,500 miles per year), so I am trying to find all-season tires. It looks like the only option might be the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS. They seem to have good reviews, but I was wondering if any of you have personal experience with them? Some sites indicate that they don't fit the SVR, but I'm thinking it might be due to the speed rating. These tires have a 168 mph speed rating, which I don't plan on approaching.

I suppose the other option would be to get another set of summer tires, and then find a winter wheel and tire package. I did that with my Audi, but only because I could not find any all-season tires to fit it.

I appreciate the help!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

I feel for you regards availability. The smaller size tires fitted to non-SVR Fs (255/35 and 295/30) are available as Nitto Motivo as well as the Bridgestone.

We got a set of the Nitto all-seasons end of last year for our '14 (they had a rebate on purchases of 4), but haven't yet fitted the rears, as our year-old PZeros are not worn out. Best price was from SimpleTire near you in Trevose, PA 19053.

If you are using it as a daily, another set of wheels might not be a bad idea IMO.

The following users liked this post:
camstang6907 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Out of curiosity, did you buy your SVR from Sky Motors?

I also plan on driving my R all year and putting about the same miles on it. I've been reading up on tire brands and preference in the F Type community.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
Out of curiosity, did you buy your SVR from Sky Motors?

I also plan on driving my R all year and putting about the same miles on it. I've been reading up on tire brands and preference in the F Type community.
No; I live near Sky, but that car is an R, not an SVR. I saw it in-person and it's definitely nice, but they are fiddling too much with the price. It's still for sale. I bought mine in Missouri.

I don't feel like spending $1,800+ to get winter wheels and tires on top of a set of Michelin's, so I'm thinking the Bridgestone A/S are the best option.

It's nice to know that you'll be driving yours daily, too. Some people think that's crazy, but I buy a car to drive it!

Last edited by camstang6907; 03-29-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:44 AM

I think the A/S are decent. I was looking at them on DTD a couple of days ago. They seem reasonable for what I need. Mine won't be a daily driver, but it will be for weekends and back road explorations.

Is Sky even open?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 AM

I think the A/S are decent. I was looking at them on DTD a couple of days ago. They seem reasonable for what I need. Mine won't be a daily driver, but it will be for weekends and back road explorations.

Is Sky even open?
They are open for "online" inquiries, but can't close any sales until the physical location reopens. Bet they're wishing they wouldn't have toyed with the price so much now! Could have sold that car right before all of this craziness.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Haha! I'm sure someone regretted not wanting to negotiate. That is a sweet car. It was my top choice for color and pretty much checked off all my boxes for the R. I'm going to really enjoy the IRR that I'm getting in a few days.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Haha! I'm sure someone regretted not wanting to negotiate. That is a sweet car. It was my top choice for color and pretty much checked off all my boxes for the R. I'm going to really enjoy the IRR that I'm getting in a few days.
That's awesome! I can't wait to see photos of it when it comes in!

I'm bummed right now because my car finally arrived, and now it's in the shop already, thanks to that pothole. There's so little we can do these days, I was really looking forward to at least bring able to go for a drive, wash the car, etc., but now I'll have to wait again. I really do love that car though. You're going to love yours, too. It's truly something special.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM

I'm so damn excited. My first order of business is to go fill up the tank. I get rewards from a local grocery store that gives discounts on gas purchases there. So far, I have $1.39 off per gallon saved up.

It's supposed to rain this week, so cleaning the car in my garage will be my next immediate concern. I love detailing my cars. It's therapeutic. I'll definitely post photos and videos.

I'm looking at the Potenza A/S and comparing it to the Nitto Motivo. IIRC, a friend told me he didn't like the Nittos for daily driving, but they were decent on a dry track.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:02 PM

I'm so damn excited. My first order of business is to go fill up the tank. I get rewards from a local grocery store that gives discounts on gas purchases there. So far, I have $1.39 off per gallon saved up.

It's supposed to rain this week, so cleaning the car in my garage will be my next immediate concern. I love detailing my cars. It's therapeutic. I'll definitely post photos and videos.

I'm looking at the Potenza A/S and comparing it to the Nitto Motivo. IIRC, a friend told me he didn't like the Nittos for daily driving, but they were decent on a dry track.
Looking forward to it!

I'll let you know my initial impressions of the Potenza A/S. I have limited options, so I'll probably move forward with them. Don't know when I can get them though, as they seem to be a hard tire to find. I might have to buy another Pirelli just so that I can bring the car home!

Old 03-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Discount Tire seems to have them in stock at their distribution centers. If you find the tires, try to buy them now and have them ready for when you can go and get them installed. I like Discount since the local store has treated me well over the years.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Discount Tire seems to have them in stock at their distribution centers. If you find the tires, try to buy them now and have them ready for when you can go and get them installed. I like Discount since the local store has treated me well over the years.
Thanks for the tip! I'll call them tomorrow when they open!

Old 03-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by camstang6907
That's awesome! I can't wait to see photos of it when it comes in!

I'm bummed right now because my car finally arrived, and now it's in the shop already, thanks to that pothole. There's so little we can do these days, I was really looking forward to at least bring able to go for a drive, wash the car, etc., but now I'll have to wait again. I really do love that car though. You're going to love yours, too. It's truly something special.
A piece of angle iron on the freeway went trough a sidewall on one of my tires shortly after delivery as well. I think it’s a rite of passage for some of us.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A piece of angle iron on the freeway went trough a sidewall on one of my tires shortly after delivery as well. I think it’s a rite of passage for some of us.
I was afraid it might be an omen!

Old 03-29-2020, 02:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I got a screw in a rear tyre driving my previous 2010 XKR back from the dealer. Fortunately in the centre of the tread so could be plugged - cheapest repair ever on a Jaguar! Nothing bad has happened to my F-Type tyres so far (apart from a wee bit of kerb scuffing ).

camstang6907 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Interested to hear your views once you get them. I'll likely switch out my summers for All season as while I don't drive the SVR in the winter, the summers get a bit edgy around the start and end of winter season.

camstang6907 (03-31-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Interested to hear your views once you get them. I'll likely switch out my summers for All season as while I don't drive the SVR in the winter, the summers get a bit edgy around the start and end of winter season.
FINALLY got the car back today! I know it's only been a few hours, but I can definitely tell the difference with the Bridgestones. The car drives better and feels more solid. They are also quieter than the Pirelli's, so I can hear the sweet exhaust better 😉

I'm convinced that the Pirelli's are soft, and I'm hopeful that I won't have any more issues with potholes with these tires. I'll let you know in a few months!

Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Great. Prob towards the end of the summer for me!

camstang6907 (04-08-2020)