Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost 'bought the farm'

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Almost 'bought the farm'

I assume most participants on this forum are familiar with the term 'bought the farm', and in this case I would say a near death experience.

Yesterday I was driving on a two lane highway with a truck out front of about 4 cars ( I was #4) and the truck was going about 80 kilometers an hour in an 80... these roads are designed for at least 100 (old limit used to be 60 mph) and most people drive 95- 105 k, depending on how many cops are out looking to make quota.

We got to a straight section of road that had good visibility and stayed straight for at least 2 kilometers and no traffic coming the other way. I was aware that there is a crossing road about half way ahead, but it of course has a stop line for those wanting to cross or enter the highway.

Many people around here will no longer pass in fear of the heavy handed police presence and they will impound your car if you go well over the puny limit (I think its 40 over?) even if you are passing.... so no one was passing and with a lot of hills coming up I wanted to get past the truck.

I pulled out and sped up to about 120 or so (could easily have hit 160+) and held that as I was moving past these vehicles fairly quickly and I was aware that the road had some radar trap areas ahead that the cops liked to use. This was a legal passing zone with dotted line. I now wished I had just sped right up and gone past quicker....

I was also aware of the cross road ahead and kept a look out.. anyway as we approached the cross road I was about even with the truck cab and an SUV, from the left, came up to the highway and did not stop but simply turned right, into my lane. He had his head turned the other way looking for oncoming traffic, but did not bother looking to his right, for people passing. I was on the horn and the truck had the presence of mind to move over to the shoulder, in an instant I moved over and almost touched his front wheel of the truck and missed the oncoming car by less than an inch.. at the last second the SUV driver moved over a bit and I got by.

This was as close a call as I can remember ever having and it all happened in a split second.. thank-you guardian angel.

I actually looked at both sides of my car when I got home to see if the paint had been at least touched.. all ok.

I'm sure many others have had close calls as well and this is one I will not soon forget.
Lawrence.

Last edited by Mulmur; 08-12-2016 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cbroth1 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Glad you made it out of that situation with both body and F-Type intact.

As cars get faster and faster I keep having to remember that (1) kinetic energy increases with the square of velocity and (2) human reactions haven't gotten any faster.

In your case it seems like you were in control of the car at a reasonable speed but all it takes is one idiot for things to go horribly wrong.

Uncle Fishbits (08-15-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Been there. Glad to hear you are safe. BTW the magic number, courtesy of Mr. Fantino a few years ago, is 50 kph over.

Here are a few clean pairs for you - it sounds like you need them...

Old 08-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That is a brown moment for sure

Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

First you say it, then you do it. Glad your ok.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This.....

Old 08-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

After I got home and reflected on the whole experience, I realized or confirmed that I didn't break a sweat, feel nervous or tense.. and during the episode, I drove through the situation without any actual concern.

I would have thought it would have been nerve wracking ... a few hours later I was however reflecting on just how lucky I was to get through it all and the replay keeps coming back.
Lawrence

Old 08-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Maybe ... but you should have stopped and given the SUV driver
a new pair as shown above.

Since you didn't hit 140'ish and get by smartly, there was another
option. You were in the traveling lane of oncoming traffic, the SUV
was just starting off, nothing behind you ... stand on the brakes,
let the truck and three cars past, pull in where you were in the
first place.

Or go for the opposite shoulder after standing on the brakes hard
on the pavement for as long as possible given the oncoming SUV.

In other words, know all your "outs" at any given time.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Maybe ... but you should have stopped and given the SUV driver
a new pair as shown above.

Since you didn't hit 140'ish and get by smartly, there was another
option. You were in the traveling lane of oncoming traffic, the SUV
was just starting off, nothing behind you ... stand on the brakes,
let the truck and three cars past, pull in where you were in the
first place.

Or go for the opposite shoulder after standing on the brakes hard
on the pavement for as long as possible given the oncoming SUV.

In other words, know all your "outs" at any given time.
No way.. I was virtually right at the intersection when he pulled out, standing on the brakes would not have helped.. and it was his responsibility to look both ways.

This was split second; and you can know all the 'outs' you want .. only time for pure reaction.

I considered turning around and catching the SUV driver, but punching out his lights would not be of any value to me.. I'd just get arrested.. anyway, I was not in any panic, kept calm and just drove on.
Lawrence

Old 08-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
.. and it was his responsibility to look both ways.
Sure it was. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

There is also a provision prohibiting passing within X distance
of an intersection on a non-divided highway.

You can end a passing maneuver before the intersection, or
start a passing maneuver after the intersection. But you may
not pass while in the prohibited zone.

The markings may not reflect that, but it is the law.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

OP is in Ontario. AFAIK, the Ontario Highway Traffic Act contains no distance rule/prohibited zone for passing at/near an intersection. Also, unlike many other provinces and states, it does not actually prohibit passing on a solid yellow line, it just suggests not to do so because it generally "not safe". Not that I would want to test either of these things out if a cop was right behind me, since the Act is full of such vague language and the police have plenty of discretionary power to charge you if they think you are "unsafe".

Mulmur (08-14-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

OK 'plums' you must be the expert so I'll leave you to it.
Lawrence

Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Glad you're okay. When passing I pretty much floor it whatever I'm driving. I want to minimize my time in the opposite lane. Cops be damned.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

In the Everglades years ago, every now and then they had 2 lanes with passing zones where they added a second lane briefly (and then did the same for the other direction) before going back to 2 lanes. I once got a speeding ticket for going 20 over in that passing area. Yes I was speeding but the alternative is to pass on a busy 2-lane highway. State Trooper barely said a word and I was processed quickly. You want to fill a quota? Go there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are ok!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PolkNole
In the Everglades years ago, every now and then they had 2 lanes with passing zones where they added a second lane briefly (and then did the same for the other direction) before going back to 2 lanes. I once got a speeding ticket for going 20 over in that passing area. Yes I was speeding but the alternative is to pass on a busy 2-lane highway. State Trooper barely said a word and I was processed quickly. You want to fill a quota? Go there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Agree that when passing we should just go as fast as we feel its safe, which in this car on a road in good condition, is really fast ... I have been advised by others of two different people getting their car towed on this road due to so called excessive speed and it was my understanding it was due to passing .. really a bad law.

I'd rather just pass, rather than end up dead so I will revert back to my usual behaviour of just go like heck and get past. I was already doing 40-50 Kilometers over the limit at the time, however if I had just booted it I would have easly passed 160-180 in the time I had and been through before the intersection.
Lawrence

Old 08-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Great story, nicely handled!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaker841
That is a brown moment for sure
Ahh.. my friend Deadpool "This guy's got the right idea. He wore his brown pants".

But I will tell you... that simple physics lesson is valuable. Coming from a slow car to this, I realize that all the near misses I have ever had that felt like slomotion have taught me to be more talented and safer a driver in slo motion at high speeds. I hit 120 in Montana the other week and realize that I don't really need to go that fast, because everything is worse at that speed.... rocks and pebbles, shifting, changing lanes and the car's body weight moving around, etc.

I realize part of being a safe driver isn't good reaction times, or knowing how to handle the car. It's literally choosing not to take a minute risk here, and there. The passing I did during the 4K road trip was much, often, and efficient... but I looked like a granny choosing my times to pass. I didn't take any chances. It's amazing watching people do it right around bends, blind turns, etc. I assume those accidents don't have much to clean up, so to speak.

So glad you are safe. Safe choices and actions people! =)

Old 08-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Uncle - just happy you are OK.

As a person that has taken many risks behind the wheel - endangering myself and others - I look back on those MANY instances and am thankful I never maimed or killed someone.

The F-Type vs say a modded GT-R is like a Harley vs a crotch rocket.

The F-type is enjoyable to drive in a brisk but safe pace while you have the satisfaction of being surrounded by art and of course the cool exhaust (last time I checked a muffler never killed anyone).

The GT-R or crotch rocket however are only fun when you are constantly pushing the performance limits. Most do that on the street where all the other drivers on the road didn't sign off on that.

I guess it comes with being older and wiser, but I drive a lot safer now and take a lot less unnecessary risks. However if and when I am out somewhere by myself and I can push a car to its limits, stay out of jail, only take risks myself, I am still OK with driving like a spaz.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default The chances I used to take

regularly when I was younger don't even cross my mind anymore.

I can wait five extra minutes. At my age, I often look for situations to use my CC. I always set it at 71, 6 mph over the FW limit and get home when I do.

It's all just not worth it. Thanks for reminding us of that.

Quick Reply: Almost 'bought the farm'