F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost good bye

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018 | 08:50 AM
|

Let me throw in a few other things- 2016 no vented seat option- almost 80 yesterday with my removable roof (+1 vette) I forgot how much I missed them (+1 vette)

also I ordered the car at the dealer 3-6-18 it was built 4-21 shipped to dealer 4 days later- not being held at port (+1 vette) - I think i had a 3 month lead on the f type awd order and it was the first or second delivered there

Old 05-02-2018 | 01:12 PM

I've had four Corvettes. A 2010 Grand Sport, 2001 Coupe, 1994 Coupe and a 1994 ZR-1 Coupe. Loved them all and great value for the money. Can't go wrong with a Vette. I did notice, after a few years, it's "just another Vette." The F-Type's styling is so different and there aren't that many of them around. Within a year, lots of Vettes are already popping up on used car lots. Still...a great car and you'll love it. Best of luck.

Old 05-02-2018 | 08:37 PM

I was torn between the Vette and the F-Type. I remember having a discussion with a friend prior to pulling the trigger on my F-Type. He summed it up for me quite well, if I bought the Vette, I was just another rich redneck driving a Vette. But the F-Type is in a totally different league, this is a classy car, one of most beautiful and sexy cars available and it still unique.

I have no regrets... I think the interior is great, infotainment systems will always be outdated within 2 years for any car but the Jag styling is timeless.

Old 05-03-2018 | 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by thedude
I was torn between the Vette and the F-Type. I remember having a discussion with a friend prior to pulling the trigger on my F-Type. He summed it up for me quite well, if I bought the Vette, I was just another rich redneck driving a Vette. But the F-Type is in a totally different league, this is a classy car, one of most beautiful and sexy cars available and it still unique.

I have no regrets... I think the interior is great, infotainment systems will always be outdated within 2 years for any car but the Jag styling is timeless.
I had to laugh when I read this because my first thought was you must be in the south (before I looked and saw you were local(ish) to me) and my second thought was that at least with the Vette you don't need a mullet like you do for a Camaro! I considered the Vette too because I do like the current body style, but there are tons of them around my part of town at least and with the F-Type, I haven't actually seen another in person yet (I know they are around, but they are far from common).

Old 05-03-2018 | 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PBBarb
I had to laugh when I read this because my first thought was you must be in the south (before I looked and saw you were local(ish) to me) and my second thought was that at least with the Vette you don't need a mullet like you do for a Camaro! I considered the Vette too because I do like the current body style, but there are tons of them around my part of town at least and with the F-Type, I haven't actually seen another in person yet (I know they are around, but they are far from common).
Here in Charlotte, NC we have tons and tons and TONS of Mustangs. It seems that every yuppee gets one when they graduate from high school from their parents or once they get a good job out of college. Not a lot of college kids in the neighborhood but about 6 teenagers driving them. some of this may be due to the fact that one of the worlds largest Mustang racing customization shops is about 5 miles away in Concord, NC. Many of these "clowns" actually think they are "cool" by removing their exhaust and putting straight pipes on their cars when in reality it just annoying. LOL

Old 05-03-2018 | 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Here in Charlotte, NC we have tons and tons and TONS of Mustangs. It seems that every yuppee gets one when they graduate from high school from their parents or once they get a good job out of college. Not a lot of college kids in the neighborhood but about 6 teenagers driving them. some of this may be due to the fact that one of the worlds largest Mustang racing customization shops is about 5 miles away in Concord, NC. Many of these "clowns" actually think they are "cool" by removing their exhaust and putting straight pipes on their cars when in reality it just annoying. LOL
I've always been a Mustang girl (my first car was SUPPOSED to be our '67 but the week I turned 16 and could officially drive without a parent they sold her - still lots of resentment here so I ended up with an '86 instead). When we decided it was time to replace my Solstice my husband assumed I wanted another Mustang. Nope. They are fun to rent when we are in Vegas and drive like we never would in our own cars, but I don't want to be one of about 50 in my work's parking deck alone (the week I got my car I saw 5 new Mustangs with dealer drive-out tags just driving up to the 7th floor where I park). Too many of them and the way most of the people around here drive them..... I'm obnoxious, but not dangerous and a total dick like most of them are. Plus good luck finding a convertible with a manual since they assume all the convertibles will belong to women and that we don't want MT. Since it would have been a whole lot cheaper, he kept trying to convince me and tried to have a friend of ours (with multiple Rovers and a Jag and a Triumph, and a Cuda, and a T-Bird and a Viper, and a few other cars I haven't even seen) talk me out of getting it (funny because he was more excited about me getting the F-Type than my husband was, but maybe that's because he didn't have to pay for it), but now I'm happy and I think he's happy that I'm so happy with what I got. I think the tons of Mustangs is a southern thing actually since I see them everywhere here and when we go through Alabama to get to Pensacola.

Old 05-03-2018 | 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Here the land of the affluent and entitled, high school kids get Camaros and Mustangs long before they graduate. Hand-me-down BMWs are pretty common too.

In daily driving I really don't see that many Corvettes. Kind of surprising given the level of performance versus cost. I haven't driven any of the newer ones, but I haven't heard many rave reviews of the ride quality. Perhaps they are out more on weekends and I haven't noticed.

Old 05-03-2018 | 10:46 AM

Oh my high school was like that - we had Camaros, Mustangs, Mercedes, BMWs and all kinds of nice cars in the parking lot (although my two favorites were my friend's '69 Fairlane Fastback and another classmate's '67 GTO). My '86 Mustang was basically new (Uncle worked at a Ford dealer and a girl's dad got her the car, but she broke curfew so he sold it back to the dealer - it wasn't new, but had under 2k miles on it when I got it - the drama of my first car is actually a longish, but kind of funny story now, although my mother doesn't think so since she's the one who caused all the drama) but my parents got it for me as a peace offering after they sold the '67 I loved so much (at least they were smart enough to get me the V6 and not the 5.0 or I wouldn't be here now). I see quite a few Vettes around here regularly, but it's mostly two distinct types driving them and none are kids.

Old 05-03-2018 | 11:26 AM

You won't miss the gnarly popping snapping angry exhaust? That's the entire point. It's the only car that can drown out a Harley.

Old 05-03-2018 | 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Many of these "clowns" actually think they are "cool" by removing their exhaust and putting straight pipes on their cars when in reality it just annoying. LOL
So...how is that different than an R with the muffler valves open.

Old 05-03-2018 | 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
So...how is that different than an R with the muffler valves open.
HuuuuUGGGLY LOL
valves open sounds cool and while louder, it's not OBNOXIOUS like straight pipes are.

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-04-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2018 | 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

I love the interior on my Jag, Brogue! Mercedes AMG was nice too if not sterile. All of our Audi's were great tho not as cool as new ones. Our current Ghibli with a red sport package interior and piano black wood trim is very cool for a sedan.

Old 05-04-2018 | 06:17 AM
|

Originally Posted by chowderjag
You won't miss the gnarly popping snapping angry exhaust? That's the entire point. It's the only car that can drown out a Harley.

heres a rub. Spitting fuel into engine heat to make noise does nothing for performance. Sorta like that tube into the passenger compartment of the 911 to bring in the exhaust noise.

I find in’s the vette exhaust far more purposeful

yes the jag exhaust was good for those times you wanted to lesson someone

I am adjusting to this vette. Steering much more nimble and responsive. It’s got giddy up but deeper into the revs. I need to be a little restrained until my 500 mike oil change with this dry sump engine

Old 05-04-2018 | 07:08 PM

What did Yogi Berra say..."deja vu all over again". Wish you the best of luck and love, plmmd, with your new Z06. I came from one (with a Challenger Hellcat sandwiched in between) to my F type R, so I well know the euphoria of that car. I factory ordered, exactly my way, a new black on black, yellow calipers, Z06 in January 2016 and received it the day before Good Friday that year. To say it was beautiful would be an understatement...that is until I stalled it twice leaving the dealers parking lot. I came to find out weeks later (and somewhat learned to live with it) that the fuel calibration created a low end bog, especially bad with the M7 transmission (mine) and practically horrifying when sitting on an incline at a red light. I learned that blipping the throttle just prior to engaging the clutch and moving forward, minimized the stalling...but, that learning curve was a major league PIA. Numerous calls and emails to the General were fruitless, any changes to that fuel delivery system would have required a re certification in the US, and GM decided that problem wasn't worth those costs..."Corvette lovers love their cars so much. who care it there's a problem". That issue was one of the biggest gripes of the Corvette faithful in the 2015-2017 Z06's.
On my second gripe and the one that led to my divorce with the lovely Z06 , it was a design issue. The Z06 is a "wide body Corvette" just as the newer Grand Sport is. The Stingray, with the base engine (450-460 HP, same as the Grand Sport) has a more normal axle width. That wide body has severe issues with stone chips and road debris being kicked up on the rear quarter panels and literally destroys (yep, destroys is the word!) the carbon fiber rear brake ducts. I see you live in NY, so get ready for that shot blasting. Like where I live in Western, PA, you'll probably have AT MOST 6 months a year where the roads are relatively clean...the other months if driven, the paint job on the beauty will get wrecked. Mine was so bad, I forced GM to repaint the complete sides of the Z06 at 2500 miles on it and it took 5 weeks to do it,,,because it took 4 attempts before the job was done somewhat close to the factory job. Once completed and prior to driving it, I had both sides of the car covered in Xpel Ultimate film (if you don't know what that is, study up....you'll need it) at a cost of $1400 and then the entire car Ceramic Pro'd at a cost of $1200. She was Beautiful! On the first drive I caught an area that had just been tarred and chipped, I immediately slowed to 25mph and could still hear the stones whacking the sides of my car. Once in my garage, I found where the little stone chips had cut right thru the Xpel and chipped the paint. I got rid of it a couple weeks later, the abuse got to me!
OK, so I bored you and countless others with my sad (HA!), detailed story. My message is simple...it's a very nice car, but the engineering is lacking, IMO. Trying to get that message thru to GM is a waste of time. I sold all my GM stock (a bunch) when I dumped that beautiful lady because she drove me crazy. Nothings perfect in this world, even though many believe the Z06 is. Get on the Corvette Forums under the Z06 category and you'll get an ear job. So far I'm on my honeymoon with my brandy new F type R , just had it Ceramic Pro'd. as well. The Z06 was a real let down for me....and it wasn't the financial loss I incurred, the little b*tch broke my heart. As far as the interior design and materials, the exhaust systems between the two, I like the F type R's a little more, but that means next to nothing...opinions vary. As far as a classy sports car, it's a no brainer. Enjoy your new Z06.

The following 2 users liked this post by tzoid9:
death1ord (05-04-2018), Vette Guy (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018 | 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Guess what. The F type has the exact same problem if you install the 15/17mm spacers. Though the rest of my wrap is perfect, after 20,000 miles, I will be replacing the wrap on the rockers within the next couple weeks.

Old 05-04-2018 | 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

PBBarb,
You're a woman of impeccable taste (especially since it's so much like mine). You had Pantera posters on your wall, and one of your favorites growing up was a GTO. When I finally get my Pantera back next week from its restoration, my '68 GTO (my favorite car of all time) goes in for a total restoration. I'm almost more excited about that than the Pantera. The offer to drive either still stands if you get out to L.A.

Old 05-05-2018 | 05:43 AM
|

Well just checked and my jaguar app finally works. The car is sitting in Mannheim waiting to be auctioned. The doors are open .... someone will get this car for a song. The rest of their inventory pretty unimpressive Malibu’s, f250s and panel vans, jag financial mustn’t care. I guess they couldn’t put it on the dealer lot as it would scavenge sales?

Old 05-05-2018 | 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plmmd
Well just checked and my jaguar app finally works. The car is sitting in Mannheim waiting to be auctioned. The doors are open .... someone will get this car for a song. The rest of their inventory pretty unimpressive Malibu’s, f250s and panel vans, jag financial mustn’t care. I guess they couldn’t put it on the dealer lot as it would scavenge sales?
Which Mannheim is it and what color & I can try to see what it sells for via Mannheim MMR

Old 05-05-2018 | 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tzoid9
What did Yogi Berra say..."deja vu all over again". Wish you the best of luck and love, plmmd, with your new Z06. I came from one (with a Challenger Hellcat sandwiched in between) to my F type R, so I well know the euphoria of that car. I factory ordered, exactly my way, a new black on black, yellow calipers, Z06 in January 2016 and received it the day before Good Friday that year. To say it was beautiful would be an understatement...that is until I stalled it twice leaving the dealers parking lot. I came to find out weeks later (and somewhat learned to live with it) that the fuel calibration created a low end bog, especially bad with the M7 transmission (mine) and practically horrifying when sitting on an incline at a red light. I learned that blipping the throttle just prior to engaging the clutch and moving forward, minimized the stalling...but, that learning curve was a major league PIA. Numerous calls and emails to the General were fruitless, any changes to that fuel delivery system would have required a re certification in the US, and GM decided that problem wasn't worth those costs..."Corvette lovers love their cars so much. who care it there's a problem". That issue was one of the biggest gripes of the Corvette faithful in the 2015-2017 Z06's.
On my second gripe and the one that led to my divorce with the lovely Z06 , it was a design issue. The Z06 is a "wide body Corvette" just as the newer Grand Sport is. The Stingray, with the base engine (450-460 HP, same as the Grand Sport) has a more normal axle width. That wide body has severe issues with stone chips and road debris being kicked up on the rear quarter panels and literally destroys (yep, destroys is the word!) the carbon fiber rear brake ducts. I see you live in NY, so get ready for that shot blasting. Like where I live in Western, PA, you'll probably have AT MOST 6 months a year where the roads are relatively clean...the other months if driven, the paint job on the beauty will get wrecked. Mine was so bad, I forced GM to repaint the complete sides of the Z06 at 2500 miles on it and it took 5 weeks to do it,,,because it took 4 attempts before the job was done somewhat close to the factory job. Once completed and prior to driving it, I had both sides of the car covered in Xpel Ultimate film (if you don't know what that is, study up....you'll need it) at a cost of $1400 and then the entire car Ceramic Pro'd at a cost of $1200. She was Beautiful! On the first drive I caught an area that had just been tarred and chipped, I immediately slowed to 25mph and could still hear the stones whacking the sides of my car. Once in my garage, I found where the little stone chips had cut right thru the Xpel and chipped the paint. I got rid of it a couple weeks later, the abuse got to me!
OK, so I bored you and countless others with my sad (HA!), detailed story. My message is simple...it's a very nice car, but the engineering is lacking, IMO. Trying to get that message thru to GM is a waste of time. I sold all my GM stock (a bunch) when I dumped that beautiful lady because she drove me crazy. Nothings perfect in this world, even though many believe the Z06 is. Get on the Corvette Forums under the Z06 category and you'll get an ear job. So far I'm on my honeymoon with my brandy new F type R , just had it Ceramic Pro'd. as well. The Z06 was a real let down for me....and it wasn't the financial loss I incurred, the little b*tch broke my heart. As far as the interior design and materials, the exhaust systems between the two, I like the F type R's a little more, but that means next to nothing...opinions vary. As far as a classy sports car, it's a no brainer. Enjoy your new Z06.
Great post, and we have similar tastes.

As my name suggests, I like corvettes and I have owned 3. In late 2014, I was torn between a Z06, a 911, and the F-Type R.

I was close to ordering the same Z06 that you ordered, but the F-Type R captured me with the great exhaust note (I could channel Steve McQueen In LeMans when I was behind the wheel-lol) and we have had great service from my wife's XF.
I ended with a black R with the ceramic brakes, more than the yellow calipers and no dust than really a track issue.

I share your sentiments about GM and the Corvette; they always seem just so close to getting it right. I will say the newer models have dramatically improved on interior components and materials, and I think they have addressed the cooling issues that plagued the earlier Z06s. There are definitely some transmission quirks that I'm not sure have been totally resolved.

I kept the F-Type for 3 years and had it not been hit by a drunk driver, I probably would've bought it at the end of the lease.

I am looking at an SVR in Colorado, a 17 with 2K, but the dealer has such bad reviews, I am probably going to pass.

The F-Type is just a different car, and as you said, there's plenty of room for other opinions.

Old 05-05-2018 | 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
PBBarb,
You're a woman of impeccable taste (especially since it's so much like mine). You had Pantera posters on your wall, and one of your favorites growing up was a GTO. When I finally get my Pantera back next week from its restoration, my '68 GTO (my favorite car of all time) goes in for a total restoration. I'm almost more excited about that than the Pantera. The offer to drive either still stands if you get out to L.A.
You certainly know how to twist my arm don’t you? I’ll definitely let you know when I make it out that way. We’ve been talking about it for a while so I might just have to suggest it again soon! I hope you share pics of the GTO restoration!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (05-05-2018)

Quick Reply: almost good bye