F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost new Ftype owner - quick question on tire size & spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost new Ftype owner - quick question on tire size & spacers

Hi guys sorry if I'm asking things that have been asked a million times I am on the verge getting an R and wanted to confirm a couple things if poss please:

1. I'm going to swap the summer tires for Continental DWS06 tires but keep the stock rims (they are the 20 with the carbon fiber inserts). DWS06 comes in 255/35/20 for the front, but the rears I can only find 285/30/20, not the stock 295/30/20. Will this cause any problems? I'll be daily driving the car, nothing crazy, no track. I think a 285 will work fine on 10.5 but want to check. They also make a 295/40/20 but thinking may cause issues

2. I've been looking for HR spacers but can't find specifically for the f-type. I'm not lowering and hopefully don't want to grind things so I think would only want to go 15mm all around without looking silly? Is there a hubcentric HR or other reputable brand spacer available that has been successful?

Thank much!

Old 10-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...&client=safari
Originally Posted by AhYu
Hi guys sorry if I'm asking things that have been asked a million times I am on the verge getting an R and wanted to confirm a couple things if poss please:

1. I'm going to swap the summer tires for Continental DWS06 tires but keep the stock rims (they are the 20 with the carbon fiber inserts). DWS06 comes in 255/35/20 for the front, but the rears I can only find 285/30/20, not the stock 295/30/20. Will this cause any problems? I'll be daily driving the car, nothing crazy, no track. I think a 285 will work fine on 10.5 but want to check. They also make a 295/40/20 but thinking may cause issues

2. I've been looking for HR spacers but can't find specifically for the f-type. I'm not lowering and hopefully don't want to grind things so I think would only want to go 15mm all around without looking silly? Is there a hubcentric HR or other reputable brand spacer available that has been successful?

Thank much!
1. Going with 285 will not reduce the diameter so much is to affect any of the instrumentation. However, see if you can get 305’s instead.
2. Go Motor sport tech for the spacers. They won’t list them but they will be able to get them to you for the F type.

The following users liked this post:
AhYu (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I have 15 mm spacers all round with the same Blade wheels as you, and zero fitment or driving issues. I got these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alum...2-c19820e34402
Only downside is being from AliExpress they come on a slow boat from China!

The following users liked this post:
AhYu (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Thanks so much guys! The only other larger size that tire comes in are 295/40/20 and 315/35/20, so I think 285/35/20 is the best bet

OzFXR that looks great, - how much lower do those springs take you? Did you have to grind the studs? If you have any side pics, would love to see how flush they are..

Old 10-28-2017, 04:29 PM

Thanks so much guys! The only other larger size that tire comes in are 295/40/20 and 315/35/20, so I think 285/35/20 is the best bet

OzFXR that looks great, - how much lower do those springs take you? Did you have to grind the studs? If you have any side pics, would love to see how flush they are..

Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have the VAP springs, so roughly 3/4" lower all round. Not as aggressive as the H&R springs but low enough for me as there are lots of vicious driveway dips and parking bay stoppers in my area. The drop is just enough to get rid of the 4x4 fender gap, and it looks "even" to me, unlike some who reckon the front sits higher than the rear with the VAP springs.
No stud grinding needed at all, as pointed out elsewhere this is a "feature" of the Blade wheels.
I don't have any side on pics of the car with all four spacers, but here are three older pics when I had spacers on the rear only:

Old 10-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have the VAP springs, so roughly 3/4" lower all round. Not as aggressive as the H&R springs but low enough for me as there are lots of vicious driveway dips and parking bay stoppers in my area. The drop is just enough to get rid of the 4x4 fender gap, and it looks "even" to me, unlike some who reckon the front sits higher than the rear with the VAP springs.
No stud grinding needed at all, as pointed out elsewhere this is a "feature" of the Blade wheels.
I don't have any side on pics of the car with all four spacers, but here are three older pics when I had spacers on the rear only:

Thank you. This looks almost perfect. Does installing springs ever mess with the adaptive modes/throw codes and ever had any rubbing? I can see my 'No lowering' approach going straight out of the window...
Took a quick look at the Motor Tech website also, 260 for a set of adapters seems very reasonable
Thanks for all this info its invaluable (and prob v.expensive) :-)

Old 10-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't had any problems with the active suspension and no codes, and I've never heard of anyone else having these types of problems as a result of installing lowering springs.
Zero rubbing for me, but others (especially Unhingd) have reported that with H&R springs, 15/17 mm spacers and 305 rear tyres you will get rubbing, but no problems with 295 tyres. As you are looking at 285 tyres you will have even less chance of rubbing.

PS - forgot to add - those pics in my previous post were taken before the VAP springs were fitted, so it was sitting "high" on the stock springs.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

If there was only one available 15mm/17mm hubcentric spacer kit out there and the cost was $1000 I'd buy it hands down. Outside of all the other stuff, the single 'best' mod one can do imo.

Agree with Unhinged - the Motorsport Tech (Las Vegas) spacers.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't had any problems with the active suspension and no codes, and I've never heard of anyone else having these types of problems as a result of installing lowering springs.
Zero rubbing for me, but others (especially Unhingd) have reported that with H&R springs, 15/17 mm spacers and 305 rear tyres you will get rubbing, but no problems with 295 tyres. As you are looking at 285 tyres you will have even less chance of rubbing.

PS - forgot to add - those pics in my previous post were taken before the VAP springs were fitted, so it was sitting "high" on the stock springs.
Got a link to unhingd car with H&R and 305s?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default SVR lowering and spacing

I have a 2017 SVR (305s and 265s stock).
I plan on ordering the Velocity AP springs.
I measured 14mm front and 18mm rear space.

Question: If I have 10mm hubcentric spacers made (Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech), will there be enough thread left on the lugs to operate safely (I have heard 5.5-6 turns).

I would like to go with the maximum width spacer, not an adapter.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Almost new Ftype owner - quick question on tire size & spacers-wheel-1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sts-v
Got a link to unhingd car with H&R and 305s?
Here's one: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1722427
There are maybe better/more comprehensive write-ups by Unhinged on this issue, but I'm too lazy too search any further!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Outside of all the other stuff, the single 'best' mod one can do imo.

Agree with Unhinged - the Motorsport Tech (Las Vegas) spacers.

Here, let me fix it for you:
Spacers AND lowering springs are the best things you can do for the car.

My 2 cents - VAP springs are more conservative, less chance of clearance problems, rear tire alignment issues, and minimal impact on the ride quality.
Ground clearance is still still adequate.

If you are getting a classic year (2015) PM me for more info on getting right VAP springs.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

+1. No codes.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
I have a 2017 SVR (305s and 265s stock).
I plan on ordering the Velocity AP springs.
I measured 14mm front and 18mm rear space.

Question: If I have 10mm hubcentric spacers made (Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech), will there be enough thread left on the lugs to operate safely (I have heard 5.5-6 turns).

I would like to go with the maximum width spacer, not an adapter.

Thanks,
The rule of thumb I've heard is that the available thread should be at least one stud diameter. That allows about 6 mm-8mm of spacer.

sts-v, if you have specific questions about the H&Rs, feel free to ask.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 PM

Beyond the amount of drop are there other major differences between VAP and HR springs, in quality etc? There seems to be quite a difference in price. Lots of reports of good experiences with VAP seems like, have people had good experiences with HR, ride quality etc? Would the HR springs be too low for a bad IL winter for a daily driver?

Last edited by AhYu; 10-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Beyond the amount of drop are there other major differences between VAP and HR springs, in quality etc? There seems to be quite a difference in price. Lots of reports of good experiences with VAP seems like, have people had good experiences with HR, ride quality etc? Would the HR springs be too low for a bad IL winter for a daily driver?
Both sets of springs are high quality progressive springs. Neither significantly compromise ride quality. Both reduce roll and improve handling to varying degrees. The VAP springs will allow you to stay within camber spec. The H&Rs will push you to the limit in front, and will take you slightly over max in the rear (even better handling at the expense of mild uneven tire wear). I am extremely pleased with the H&Rs, but here in DC not too many steep curb cuts or harsh winters. Would definitely not recommend for a daily driver in the upper Midwest. The VAPs are still a bit iffy for that purpose, but far less risky.

Best price for the H&Rs can be had at H&R Sport Lowering Coil Springs - FREE SHIPPING

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-29-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;1783657]The rule of thumb I've heard is that the available thread should be at least one stud diameter. That allows about 6 mm-8mm of spacer.QUOTE]

Could I safely go with 10mm-12mm hubcentric spacers (not adapters), if I used extended thread "ET" lug nuts?

Mike L

Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...&client=safari
2. Go Motor sport tech for the spacers. They won’t list them but they will be able to get them to you for the F type.
Unhingd just to confirm is it the Motor Tech Adaptec Design 3, as below, that folks are using on their cars here? Do they work with the stock lugs etc?

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Almost new Ftype owner - quick question on tire size & spacers-screen-shot-2017-10-29-11.24.49-am.png  
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Default Nasty winters

Originally Posted by Unhingd
.....but here in DC not too many steep curb cuts or harsh winters. Would definitely not recommend for a daily driver in the upper Midwest. The VAPs are still a bit iffy for that purpose, but far less risky.
And this is exactly the reason why I said in my original post that I wasn't going to lower :-))

I am so tempted though, if just for the aesthetics - looks -wise I worry that spacers without a subtle drop might look silly, and it seems like the VAP springs are moderate enough to get away with it (most of the time...)