F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Stranded -- "gearshift failure"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Almost Stranded -- "gearshift failure"

I was able to leave work a few minutes early today, and with wonderful weather, I really was excited for starting the F Type, putting down the top, and enjoying a nice ride home.

I pressed the button, and the car fired right up. However, when attempting to put the car in gear, it would not leave Park! The instrument panel displayed an ! icon with the words "Gearshift Failure" next to it. I turned off the car, restarted it, and kept getting the same response. No D, R, N.... stuck in Park.

Checked the manual for tips, which was no help. I called my local dealer, who also was no help, and advised to call Jaguar for Roadside Assistance.

While on hold with JRA, i had the idea to shut the car off, lock the doors, with the remote, then unlock and restart the car.... in some sense, rebooting the electrical sequence. Voila! It worked!

I tried to think if I jacked something up when I last used the vehicle. I had parked the car, got out, and locked it..... but then, didn't like how I parked, so I got in, moved it back and forth a bit in the space, then got out. All seemed normal.

I am wondering if when i got out that i forgot to press Park before shutting down the car..... would that have caused the issue?

anyhow, total mystery, hoping that it is a one-off event.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I never press Park before shutting the car down, I just shut it down and it automatically goes into Park. So that's definitely not the cause of your problem.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

pjr - Smart thinking on the fly. Many people would just give up and wait for a tow.

When I first got the FT I was frustrated about not shifting gears until I got the memo that I was in Sport mode to the left.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

First time I can ever recall such a problem reported on this forum.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

There was a TSB on this issue for cars up to VIN K07XXX .
I don't remember exactly but I think it was something like K0345 .
So if your car is MY2014 get the software update installed.

Regards
Ulrich

Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I had it happen once a couple of years ago. Had the TSB update Ulrich mentioned and haven't had a problem since. I didn't have to go through the entire lock/wait cycle to get going again - just restarted after a minute or two.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

pjr300,
I thought I'd relate an incident that happened to me today for which I used your solution and for which I thank you. I pulled up to a parking space where I was waiting for a couple of my sub contractors to arrive to go to a customer's house. Car was not running and in park. Since I was sitting in the car, I didn't bother to lock it. My guys showed up about 5 minutes later, I start the car, start to turn the gear shift dial to drive, it stops in neutral and won't move. It would not go into Drive nor park, it was stuck. I turned off the motor assuming it would revert to park as it does when you occasionally forget to put it manually back, but it stayed in neutral and could not be budged. I thought of your post. I took my key fob, locked the car, unlocked the car, and restarted the engine, and sure enough everything was back to normal except my side view mirrors stayed closed. I turned the car off again, used the key fob to unlock the car, mirrors opened, and everything was back to normal. I have had this car nearly four years and put about 70,000 miles on it and have never had this happen before. Thanks for being the guinea pig.