F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to the F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to the F-Type R?

I'm currently brainstorming a replacement for my C63 with full bolt ons. What I've concluded is I don't need back seats, I would like something with a more luxurious interior, and something more exciting to take on a weekend drive. As well, I'd like to use this car on a daily basis, putting around 5,000 mi/yr.

When I look at new and used options, I can't seem to find anything that offers a better value than the Jaguar? Here's a very short list I came up with:

- 991 Porsche GT3 (not practical for daily short commutes?, other 911s don't excite me)
- 2010+ Aston DBS (relatively slow, outdated tech)
- 2016 F-Type R

What other cars did some of you consider before deciding on the F-Type? I'm steering away from BMW, Mercedes, Audi this go around, so that obviously shortens the list for me quite a bit. Add the fact that 600+ hp seems fairly easy to extract from the R, I don't see what else competes in this price range?

I appreciate any suggestions, and allowing me to think out loud.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts
Old 04-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Maserati...I thought about one but realize that it's a very old platform. You can get some nice discounts on them right now. Still looks great though. If you don't care for "newness" and plan on keeping it awhile, Maserati might be worth looking at.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Nrgy
I'm currently brainstorming a replacement for my C63 with full bolt ons. What I've concluded is I don't need back seats, I would like something with a more luxurious interior, and something more exciting to take on a weekend drive. As well, I'd like to use this car on a daily basis, putting around 5,000 mi/yr.

When I look at new and used options, I can't seem to find anything that offers a better value than the Jaguar? Here's a very short list I came up with:

- 991 Porsche GT3 (not practical for daily short commutes?, other 911s don't excite me)
- 2010+ Aston DBS (relatively slow, outdated tech)
- 2016 F-Type R

What other cars did some of you consider before deciding on the F-Type? I'm steering away from BMW, Mercedes, Audi this go around, so that obviously shortens the list for me quite a bit. Add the fact that 600+ hp seems fairly easy to extract from the R, I don't see what else competes in this price range?

I appreciate any suggestions, and allowing me to think out loud.
I would add the Mercedes AMG-GT and the Audi R8 V8 although both are a little more expensive than the R Coupe.

If you are bent on avoiding those brands, then at the same price as the R Coupe is the 2015 Aston Martin Vantage GT (which has a base price of $100k brand new).

And since you are looking at a used DBS, you could also consider a used Ferrari California.

Finally I would also look at the Corvette Z06.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 04-06-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

While on the subject of more expensive - 50% more - I would be interested in checking out the new NSX (in spite of initial reviews [re] the look being less than positive). If money weren't an object that might have been a consideration although I have zero regrets about buying my 2015 V6S last October.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I just assumed the OP is looking in the $100k +/- range new range. If we're talking about 140+ and used....lots of options open up. Personally I think a used Ferrari CA is the way to go!

Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I just assumed the OP is looking in the $100k +/- range new range. If we're talking about 140+ and used....lots of options open up. Personally I think a used Ferrari CA is the way to go!
Not only do I think you're right - about the OP looking in the 100k range - I also think the best bang for the buck remains the F-Type. Of course from a depreciation stand-point the Ferrari most likely would be the better buy/value/investment.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Thanks for tossing some additional ideas at me. I am preferably looking at the $100k-$115k range, and of course if tempted could stretch that a little higher. I guess that's where something like the DBS starts to fall further out of favor, when simply comparing value. Not sure if the emotional component of a DBS would make up for the lack in performance and slightly dated styling (though still stunning).

I have tossed around the Maserati, and I agree they do look great. I just looked up some performance data however and the figures seem pretty lack luster in comparison to the R. I'm trying not to get hung up on the numbers as rarely am I able to utilize the power, but part of me can't help it argh! I guess it's ingrained in me.

The California I hadn't considered. I was assuming they were in the 140-150k range used, but I'll take a look. Not sure if I like the styling over the F-Type however, not to say it isn't beautiful though.

After hearing some of the other options, if nothing else it's helping to reaffirm my stance that the F-Type still remains at the top of my list. I didn't know this car existed a month ago, but after seeing a white one on the road I had to do a double take. Took my attention away from the F430 sitting in front of me at the light.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Thanks for linking to the thread...checking it out now.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

You could try a XKR-S. Not as quick as the f-type R and I suppose that while looks are subjective, not quite as pretty, and the tech isn't as new, but it is a lot of car for the money, with heaps of room inside as long as you aren't thinking of putting people in the back.

I use my XKR as a daily drive, it is ideal even for the grocery/grog shopping. In fact I'd been thinking about getting a second one for my wife once my kids both have their own wheels, though she seems to have gone to the dark side - the f type has piqued her interest...

Old 04-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Used XKR-S less than R! Used Maser GT less than R! But they are not updated cars. AM GT V8 probably a little more new, not current but sexy!Used California in $150k range, great but high maintance cost. Choices!

Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for tossing some additional ideas at me. I am preferably looking at the $100k-$115k range, and of course if tempted could stretch that a little higher. I guess that's where something like the DBS starts to fall further out of favor, when simply comparing value. Not sure if the emotional component of a DBS would make up for the lack in performance and slightly dated styling (though still stunning).

I have tossed around the Maserati, and I agree they do look great. I just looked up some performance data however and the figures seem pretty lack luster in comparison to the R. I'm trying not to get hung up on the numbers as rarely am I able to utilize the power, but part of me can't help it argh! I guess it's ingrained in me.

The California I hadn't considered. I was assuming they were in the 140-150k range used, but I'll take a look. Not sure if I like the styling over the F-Type however, not to say it isn't beautiful though.

After hearing some of the other options, if nothing else it's helping to reaffirm my stance that the F-Type still remains at the top of my list. I didn't know this car existed a month ago, but after seeing a white one on the road I had to do a double take. Took my attention away from the F430 sitting in front of me at the light.
California's are fugly and sound naff. for $140k you can have a very decent used F430, carbon fibre inside, daytona seats etc and capristo exhaust that performs close enough to an F-Type V8.

...If you like driving a car that looks like a spaceship....

Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM

used f430
Nissan GTR
Mercedes AMG GT

I personally would wait for the new Mclaren 570S and wait for depreciation to kick it under 120k.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I personally would never take a used GranTurismo. This is purely anecdotal but in the car group I run where we go on spirited drives of around 100 miles, every single time a Maser GT showed up it never finished the run with us. It is the only production car to consistently break down when driven hard. I would have just said it was this guys particular GT but we've had 3 different ones show up over the years, none made it.

The only others that also had problems were usually kit/replica cars like the Ford GT40.

I personally would wait for the new Mclaren 570S and wait for depreciation to kick it under 120k.
That is now on my front list of "current" cars to watch until they are attainable. The MP4-12C is already getting down to that level.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if it still applies but check the maintenance cost/schedule for Maserati and Ferrari. They have much shorter intervals. I know I would not deal with that. I like taking my car in once a year only.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:25 PM

All great input from everyone, thank you. Stealthdriver's suggestion caught my attention the most however. I hadn't been keeping up with the latest car trends for the last year or so, and just read about the 570S today...wow that is what I hoped for from Mclaren. Though a true sports car is not really what I was looking for despite considering a GT3, I may have to rethink things a bit. Maybe just keep my C63 for now and into the future and wait for depreciation to kick in on the Mclaren like suggested.

I wonder if they'll hit sub 140k in 2-3 years? Or if they release the 540C in the US I imagine we could see those price relatively soon.

Originally Posted by stealthdriver

Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If "luxurious interior" is a true priority than the Continental GT should be in the mix. I like the V8 more than W12. They plummet in value making them good used car buys.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Or if they release the 540C in the US I imagine we could see those price relatively soon.
They've been pretty adamant that the 540C is for the Chinese market only.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
They've been pretty adamant that the 540C is for the Chinese market only.
It was mentioned during the pricing reveal of the 570S that the 540C could be released globally now. We should find out later this month at its reveal.

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
It was mentioned during the pricing reveal of the 570S that the 540C could be released globally now. We should find out later this month at its reveal.
Interesting. I read that they were focusing 540C on Asia but it could be special ordered for USA.

We will see I suppose.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to the F-Type R?