Sponsored by:

Alternatives to the F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by stealthdriver
used f430
Nissan GTR
Mercedes AMG GT

I personally would wait for the new Mclaren 570S and wait for depreciation to kick it under 120k.
Love that idea. I really want the 570s, but it is out of my league financially. Assuming that the 570s will be at dealerships by early spring 2016 and have a price tag of @ 210K (since the options add up fast), how long do you think until they would come down into the $120k range?

Old 04-07-2015 | 08:47 PM

Also, if you could hold off one year from now the Maserati Alfieri will be available!

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:42 PM

The Alfieri should be an interesting choice. Loved the concept.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:59 PM
|

Originally Posted by LynxFX
It was mentioned during the pricing reveal of the 570S that the 540C could be released globally now. We should find out later this month at its reveal.
If they do release the 540C here then that would make for a very compelling option. At 185k+ for the 570S, I imagine it'll be awhile before they get in a price range I'm comfortable with. But based on the MP4-12C, I think 10%/yr for depreciation could be expected?

So if 540C starts at 160k according to some articles, a bare bones one might be had for roughly 130k after 2 years...perhaps?

I might be able to enjoy my current car until then if that's the case, otherwise I'd probably go for the F-Type now and enjoy it for the next 5 years.

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:27 PM

Depreciation is a hard thing to predict. The MP4-12C used prices tanked mostly because the 650S replaced it so quickly. The 650S was announced just 2 years after the MP4-12C went on sale. Depending on how popular the 570S and 540C are, they could maintain a premium for awhile if there is no major replacement announced quickly. It took almost 4 years before the R8 saw any type of depreciation for instance. I've heard of a few people actually leasing an R8 when it came out and returning selling it back for near MSRP 3 years later. :O

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:28 PM

First of all even though I personally like how a Ferrari Cali looks as a hard top convertible and interior very slick, this car is considered the laughing stock at car shows--everyone I've been to the die hard performance cars owners know that it's the low-end Ferrari; whereas that stigma has seemed to have vanished now with new body style Boxster/Cayman, Ferrari Cali is made fun of--id drive one but I'd be made fun of ateast around here; Maserati has a great interior but a little too redined for my taste--engine note is superb, after all, it does have a Farrari engine..they look great but body style needs facelift now--they depreciate in first 2-3 yrs then hold value fairly well. For $100k arena urooking at: Boxster/Cayman GT, used Maserati, entry level 911, and of course Jag F; this is why Jag prices their V8S and R at this range; at $130+ u can get a better 911 or even used Lambo or Aston Vantage; I don't see the super or sport series McClarens depreciating drom $175-180 to 130 in 1-1 yrs

Go for a Jag F -- I've had more people breaking their necks on the road to see what I'm driving or come out of the grocery store only to find teenage or college age guys/gals snapping iPhone pics of my Jag F V8S blk/blk/blk; even older men and women asking me what it is or is that the new Jag?
The car exudes speed, style, class, modern yet raw sex appeal and excitemrn

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:41 PM

i was in a similar buying mindset as you are in. what to get for that price range.

for me, it came down to a used R8, or the F-Type R (i ruled out the new vette, even though i do think they are cool...just could not see myself buying one. i also love the Ford GT, but as a daily driver...don't think so & it was still too expensive).

at the end of the day, the R8 was A) used, and B) was very dated on the interior and with the tech. I had already decided that the Aston, even though i still enjoy the styling, was also much too dated and has lost it's performance edge by modern standards).

once i drove the R, my decision was quickly made. luxurious as a daily driver, killer performance & hp, unique...and that sound! all for ~$100k...game, set, match!

Old 04-08-2015 | 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by claywilliams
First of all even though I personally like how a Ferrari Cali looks as a hard top convertible and interior very slick, this car is considered the laughing stock at car shows--everyone I've been to the die hard performance cars owners know that it's the low-end Ferrari; whereas that stigma has seemed to have vanished now with new body style Boxster/Cayman, Ferrari Cali is made fun of--id drive one but I'd be made fun of ateast around here

If people are going to make fun of you for driving a low end Ferrari, you seriously need to reconsider your friend group...

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 09:47 AM

^ +1

For anyone to make fun of "anything" you drive, doesn't say a whole lot for your friends, or you for keeping them. What are you in high school?

Old 04-08-2015 | 10:47 AM

The kind of people who make fun of a 200k Ferrari are most likely the kind of people who can't afford one.

Old 04-08-2015 | 12:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I know that the critics panned the California, but I think it's a gorgeous car. Like the F-type convertible, it needs to have its top down. And it needs to be blue, IMO.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e3/#post847707

Old 04-08-2015 | 12:28 PM

Regarding Stohlen, SoCalJag & Swajames...
Touché--funny--no, they would never outright make fun of me or anyone else
for that matter--it's just Ive heard them countless of times "make fun" of the Ferrari Cali and those who buy them...as in a "preppie" sell out Ferrari version
Almost like a "Barbie" version of a legit Ferrari---that being said I'll say again:
I think they loose awesome...always have, always will. But again these are car enthusiasts who are purists...coupes, no cabs. But they knew fromthe get go that I was gonna go for a convertible -and they love my jag v8s...
And yes...they have the money to afford a 200k car--they own lambo mercis, 458 Italia, McClarens, 911 turbos.......
There will always be those who thnk the Ferrari Cali is a designer school boy bersion of a high performance car---IMO...kudos to Ferrari for attacking another market!!! Would I own one--you bet--but I was just trying to give fair warning to someone else on this thread that the Ferrari Cali's depreciate hard and have a smaller market--but remember, if getting a Ferrari from dealer they have an entirely diffrnt set of rules they play by...I hear it can be hard to get a new one short of paying in full
I'm sure someone on thread knows way better than me

I say if it looks good, sounds and drive the way you want...go for it
But buy Jag F

Old 04-08-2015 | 02:41 PM

Understand, Clay. Just not sure I agree guys like that meet my own definition of enthusiasts. Another word does spring to mind though

Anyway, I've seen some decent Californias at some pretty decent prices but these are the originals with the normally aspirated engine. The new ones with forced induction are pretty quick. I'd certainly be open to one.

Old 04-08-2015 | 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by claywilliams
And yes...they have the money to afford a 200k car--they own lambo mercis, 458 Italia, McClarens, 911 turbos.......

Well you know what they say, money can't buy you class..

Old 04-08-2015 | 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Well you know what they say, money can't buy you class..
No, but it can buy some pretty nice cars.

SoCalJagS (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
No, but it can buy some pretty nice cars.
And happiness!

Old 04-08-2015 | 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
And happiness!
It only buys TEMPORARY happiness...

The kind it does buy, usually leaves, when the money runs out...

Old 04-08-2015 | 08:03 PM
Unhingd (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 10:16 PM

All this car cross-shopping I've done x 4 months, some of you have done, some currently--what I kinda thought months ago was a sell out from Jag regarding the F type I'm beginning to really see...when looking for class and performance, there really hasn't been (a) anything in the Carrera firing range and (b) nothing in the $95-105k range until he Jag F. So let's put Astons and Ferraris and McClarens and 911 Turbos and I guess R8 in uper echelon--that's easy; so you have entry to mid Carreras and Maseratis together....unless I'm mistaking, you kinda drop to the M's, AMG C63's and RS5 which have four seats so they compare easily....and nothing else in this range except enter two seater
Cayman/Boxster and then you have Stingray which can come close to mid 90s if decked out....and im not bringing in used versions which can make things more confusing...but it seems so easy with my over simplification but it sure seemed difficult at the time...cross shopping an M4 four seater that is 15-20k less than two seater Jag F--not sure why we cross shop these--why did I do that?
Shouldn't an M4 be consulted to RS5 or C63?? And why doesnt anyone ever mention C63? I think Jag did a great job in pricing the F type..still a bit over priced IMO but other than Cayman/Boxster GTS or entry level Carrera Jag F kinda owns its current price market

Old 04-09-2015 | 03:44 AM

Just some two cents:

The 12C dropped almost 100k within the first two years even before the 650S was announced.

Mclaren is not the marquee brand for the majority of the population in comparison to say Ferrari or Lamborghini. It's reserved for true enthusiasts. They under performed tremendously in sales expectations hence the followup with the 650S within such a short time.

Timing was also tough because it got released along side the 458 which decimated the 12C from a product marketing perspective.

I am predicting used 570s within 120-130k range in about 2 years. The dealer network is also quite small and general publicity is poor.

Take an analogy to high end wrist watches.

Rolex holds value quite well and doesn't depreciate yet it's a poor demonstration of haute horology. Jaeger Lecoultre, A lange and Sohne, Breguet, and Vacheron all take huge hits in depreciation despite being far more technically advanced and better quality.

Psychology and consumer demand sets the price - Free market capitalism at its finest.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to the F-Type R?