F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 01:18 PM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks! I'm dropping my car off on Monday to do both valve covers, and the Y pipe and upper Pipe from Euro Amp will be going in at the same time.
I'll be doing the oil cooler as well and associated seals, as well as all injector seal kits. I'm at 90k miles, my injectors seem to be fine, not sure if it's worth the extra cost to replace all 8 injectors too. Seems like if one breaks I guess I'll have no choice.

Shop would not install the URO brand stub cooling part into the water pump, I think based on their reputation as a parts supplier. I trust the shop, so I'll skip that one too.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:34 PM

Install went smoothly, but 4 of my injectors were replaced as 1 was stuck open. (Unrelated to the cooling Y pipe replacement).
My water pump was seeping so I replaced it as well. We'll see how she does!

Old 12-22-2023, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Picked up our '14 yesterday, after installation of the EuroAMP V6 V.2 kit, the complete one with metal rear pipe and water pump.

ISSUES: wrong variation of thermostat housing in the kit (exchanged by EuroAMP, Christian is GREAT).
Then, one of their small metal fittings didn't snap in as firmly as the old one did according to our mechanic, so we replaced with a new JLR piece. Mechanic said that OE fitting doesn't break or leak in his experience...

Also, one of the kit's rubber coolant hoses wasn't shaped properly, and restricted flow when kinked to fit, so rather than wait we had him put in a JLR one.

We are set, for a couple years...

++++++++++++

PS: Our tech is an experienced long-time Jaguar guy. He hand-writes the service description/bill in CURSIVE. LOL

Last edited by Carbuff2; 12-22-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:50 AM

Yeah, the thermostat housing and brass nipples never seemed like a failure point to me. I only chose to install the diecast aluminum Y pipe and upper pipe. I did the rear coolant manifold last year simply with the latest OEM part.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by hartmandm
I bought a pair of the metal coolant pipes and they are installed in my 2013 XF 3.0 SC. The fit seems good. There is a small gap where the two metal pipes join together, but I believe the o-ring is seated far enough into the lower pipe to create a good seal. I am currently pressure testing the cooling system. No evidence of leaks so far.

Mike
After 6 months, mine started leaking intermittently from that gap. Now it leaks daily. Any one else have this have this issue?

Old 01-21-2024, 04:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's not good. What brand of pipes did you install? I'm about to do mine (on an XJ- pretty much same engine, same problems) but that makes me nervous. Don't want to spend £1500/$2000 on the job, only to have to do it again 12 months later....

Old 01-21-2024, 05:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

A better question is how many miles have you driven between install and leak.

I'm 12 months in and ~3k miles without leaks.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Our mechanic stated that he HAS seen metal pipes leak after a period of time (even with his 'European-sourced' parts). Because of that, he inspected the EuroAMP set, BEFORE he agreed to do the replacement job.

He said that the fit of our was good! Will monitor over time.
PS: It was below freezing in our garage today...

Old 01-21-2024, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaxD
A better question is how many miles have you driven between install and leak.

I'm 12 months in and ~3k miles without leaks.
About 15,000 miles before it started to leak intermittently and a further 10,000 miles since it began to leak daily (this one does nearly 40,000 per year). If I squeeze the upper radiator hose, I can force coolant out. I've o-rings that've done more than 100,000 miles, unless it's something else, I reckon it's the o-ring which's failed, the pipes were quite snug and required the screws to get them to fit together. The Y so far's not leaking at the bases.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
About 15,000 miles before it started to leak intermittently and a further 10,000 miles since it began to leak daily (this one does nearly 40,000 per year). If I squeeze the upper radiator hose, I can force coolant out. I've o-rings that've done more than 100,000 miles, unless it's something else, I reckon it's the o-ring which's failed, the pipes were quite snug and required the screws to get them to fit together. The Y so far's not leaking at the bases.
Did you grease the o-rings?

If the fit was tight, is it possible you pinched the o-ring on install annd damaged it?

Old 01-21-2024, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Took it apart this afternoon. Pipe slide right off as the o-ring had hardened and failed. Replaced with a proper one and re-assembled everything. No more leaking, at least not after 30 minutes of driving. Now I'm worried the other 2 on the Y will meet a similar fate..........

Old 01-21-2024, 04:07 PM
Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Took it apart this afternoon. Pipe slide right off as the o-ring had hardened and failed. Replaced with a proper one and re-assembled everything. No more leaking, at least not after 30 minutes of driving. Now I'm worried the other 2 on the Y will meet a similar fate..........
That's great info, thank you. I have all the parts here ready to install, would have been piiiisssssssed if I'd had to re-do the job because of poor o-rings. Will replace them with some good quality ones and grease em up before they go in.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Good to hear you fixed it.
One problem I have had is Jaguar seems to use odd sized O-rings? In my AC system I could not match them up at all and had to order 2 very expensive Jaguar branded O-rings.
Were you able to use after market replacement O-rings? Any idea of the size?
I like the idea of using better O-rings but do we want Viton, Silicone, Nitrile or?

Old 01-22-2024, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Good to hear you fixed it.
One problem I have had is Jaguar seems to use odd sized O-rings? In my AC system I could not match them up at all and had to order 2 very expensive Jaguar branded O-rings.
Were you able to use after market replacement O-rings? Any idea of the size?
I like the idea of using better O-rings but do we want Viton, Silicone, Nitrile or?
Would've preferred Viton but no one locally had anything this large so used Nitrile which has a max heat tolerance of about 250F. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the cheap junk supplied with the pipes. Still my greatest fear is the other 2 on the Y will fail shortly as well, the only comfort is the Y's snug against the block, where the upper pipe's got a gap at the fittings. I'm not convinced the aluminum Y can be R&R'd, even with the water pump and throttle body out, whilst the super charger's in place. Sorry, didn't measure, had to go to 6 different parts stores to finally find one that had a bin of rings and matched one up to the original.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:37 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I was talking to my independent mechanic about the aluminum Y pipes a few months ago when I had my 2014 F V8S in for it's annual service. He told me that he has done quite a few installs of aluminum Y-pipes and has also seen quite a few of them fail after a while from O-ring leaks. His theory is that the aluminum heats and cools the O-rings faster than the plastic pipes do and ages the O-rings to failure. He said he actually prefers to install the new plastic Y-pipes and has not seen one fail but has had to repair leaking O-rings on the aluminum Y-pipes.
On my car, it is very low miles and his advise even though I have the old style Y-pipes is to just keep a close eye on them for now. Then possibly install the full Euroamp Kit in the future especially if they come out with the rear crossover pipe, or maybe just but in the stock new plastic Y-pipes if people keep on having O-ring leaks.

If you know what sizes of O Rings you want. You can shop for what ever kind of O-Ring you want at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o-rings/

Good luck
Wayne B.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
I was talking to my independent mechanic about the aluminum Y pipes a few months ago when I had my 2014 F V8S in for it's annual service. He told me that he has done quite a few installs of aluminum Y-pipes and has also seen quite a few of them fail after a while from O-ring leaks. His theory is that the aluminum heats and cools the O-rings faster than the plastic pipes do and ages the O-rings to failure. He said he actually prefers to install the new plastic Y-pipes and has not seen one fail but has had to repair leaking O-rings on the aluminum Y-pipes.
On my car, it is very low miles and his advise even though I have the old style Y-pipes is to just keep a close eye on them for now. Then possibly install the full Euroamp Kit in the future especially if they come out with the rear crossover pipe, or maybe just but in the stock new plastic Y-pipes if people keep on having O-ring leaks.

If you know what sizes of O Rings you want. You can shop for what ever kind of O-Ring you want at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o-rings/

Good luck
Wayne B.
I certainly considered aluminum's issue of retaining heat as compared to plastic and premature failure of rubber. I can speak from experience and even the "new" and updated plastic JLR pipes only last a couple of years before they crumble to dust, been there, done that. I reckon the poor quality rubber the aluminum pipes are supplied with's the real problem in this application and a quality replacement, preferably high heat Viton and prior to initial fitting, will mitigate this problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
cbarr (01-23-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (01-22-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 09:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Our mechanic stated that he HAS seen metal pipes leak after a period of time (even with his 'European-sourced' parts). Because of that, he inspected the EuroAMP set, BEFORE he agreed to do the replacement job.

He said that the fit of our was good! Will monitor over time.
PS: It was below freezing in our garage today...
Hey, sorry I don't l know how to PM on here. I live 2 exits away from you and recently got an F-type. Who is your mechanic? I don't have anything wrong that need to be fixed (yet) but I want to have someone lined up who can handle it.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-23-2024, 10:01 AM

Yeah, my only concern with installing the EuroAmp kit was the seals themselves. I did some cursory searches before contacting them, and they stated they currently use OEM replacements. Which is of course what I'd expect them to say - so time will tell how long mine last installed in my XJ.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts
Old 01-23-2024, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2018manualftype
Hey, sorry I don't l know how to PM on here.

Thanks,
John
Sent YOU a PM, should be a notification in the upper RH corner.

In the future just click on a username. The PM menu is there.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!