F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 03:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That is very correct. The harder you run it the more heat you will have. I don't run the car hard at all.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm about to pull the pin on having all the coolant pipes renewed (already got a coolant smell so likely a leak somewhere). Engine has done 70k on original pipes so it is overdue.
I asked my garage about fitting Al pipes (I bought some off RKX). They are reluctant, saying that there isn't the mileage on them yet to really know, and added they have not yet seen a failure of the updated pipes. I've heard of the plastic pipes (especially the 'Y') breaking up in the head. Was wondering whether ambient temps have an influence, (I guess in US there is a wider variation in temp, especially very cold). In the UK, with our wet and often miserable climate, the outside temps rarely get 'interesting'. So pondering what causes the break up of the newer pipes in the head, and wondering which route I should take (Al or updated plastic).

Old 02-11-2024, 03:29 PM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mvining
o rings are all metric diameter and metric sizes if molded and not made from chord stock.
Everything is imperial if your tape measure is in inches 😂

The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:41 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

Cbarr,

I have over 5,000 miles on my RKX pipes and many of those miles in temperatures over 100 degrees F. I have never had a problem or issues with my coolant system and I am hoping that it stays this way. Nevertheless, I do regular inspections of the system and flush every two years.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cbarr
I'm about to pull the pin on having all the coolant pipes renewed (already got a coolant smell so likely a leak somewhere). Engine has done 70k on original pipes so it is overdue.
I asked my garage about fitting Al pipes (I bought some off RKX). They are reluctant, saying that there isn't the mileage on them yet to really know, and added they have not yet seen a failure of the updated pipes. I've heard of the plastic pipes (especially the 'Y') breaking up in the head. Was wondering whether ambient temps have an influence, (I guess in US there is a wider variation in temp, especially very cold). In the UK, with our wet and often miserable climate, the outside temps rarely get 'interesting'. So pondering what causes the break up of the newer pipes in the head, and wondering which route I should take (Al or updated plastic).
Hard to say at the moment.... your garage's concern is fair, as there aren't a lot of cars that have put 100k+ on the ali pipes. Some guys are reporting issues with the o-rings leaking, so they're not necessarily a perfect solution. Others have had the new style of pipes fail, so they're also not a perfect solution but similar to the ali pipes, there's not a ton of cars with 100k+ on the new pipes. I just went with the ali pipes, at the end of the day the job needs to be done and we can only choose based on the info we have. After the o-ring reports I'm going to replace the ones that came with the kit with some good quality high-temp ones just to be safe, other than that I guess just install what you install and hope for the best 🤷

One thing to consider is that if you have the new Jag pipes installed by a dealership and they crumble prematurely, they should be covered under warranty. An indy is not going to cover you if an ali part you bought online fails, and there aren't a whole lot of documented cases where people have had good or bad warranty service from Euroamp/RKX/etc.

This also is NOT a Jaguar-specific issue - the cooling system on my diesel VW Caddy just sh*t the bed and as soon as we replaced one plastic part, another blew. In its defense though, it has 250,000km on it...

Last edited by dangoesfast; 02-11-2024 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cbarr (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
....One thing to consider is that if you have the new Jag pipes installed by a dealership and they crumble prematurely, they should be covered under warranty. ...
Isn't the after new car warranty repair at a dealer good for only a year?

Old 02-11-2024, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=jahummer;2721013]
Originally Posted by mleskovar
There are coolant alternatives which have such a high boiling point the circuit never produces pressure. The downside’s they don’t transfer heat very well.
Learn something new everyday. Never heard of that, have to research it.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the alloy pipes, in fact the first version of the JLR pipes WERE alloy before they switched to plastic. The plastic pipes WILL fail, including other plastics in the circuit. I know this from my own experience as well as numerous reports here and else where for many models. It's not if, it's when. The leaking O-rings are likely due to poor grade rubber and I'm kicking myself for not working harder at finding a replacement before I installed them the first time around, so here I am with all 3 failed. The grade and quality of the O-rings is very important so make certain you've got nitrile or viton and not plain rubber.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

12 months/12,000 miles

Old 02-11-2024, 07:56 PM

When Jaguar say a year they're talking about their limited warranty, but they also have a responsibility under your country/state's consumer law. In Australia our consumer law states that products must last a "reasonable amount of time" and I would argue that an engine part (apart from wear items) lasting one year and one month is not reasonable... a good example of this is electronic devices - Samsung will say your warranty is a year, but Fair Trading (our state consumer protection department) considers a "reasonable" amount of time for an electronic device to be three years and they will hold them to that. YMMV but our consumer law is pretty on par with most other developed countries.

Buying the part from an overseas seller and having your indy install it makes the waters a bit muddier and it'd be all but impossible for your local consumer protection organisation to take any action if something went wrong.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Well what's weird is Jaguar started with Aluminum cooling pipes when the 5.0L was first introduced. Then a year or two later they swapped to plastic.
Don't know why but suspect cost savings. Aluminum is much superior to plastic in this application and if you look at many cars you will see the Aluminum stuff holds up and the plastic stuff does not.

I will be replacing ANY plastic with Aluminum if I can find the parts. Tired of failed plastic.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

The X150 n/a had a plastic thermostat, the XKR had an alloy one. None of the alloy ones have failed over nearly 20 years, but the plastic ones have had cracking problems since the beginning.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

When Jaguar say a year they're talking about their limited warranty, but they also have a responsibility under your country/state's consumer law. In Australia our consumer law states that products must last a "reasonable amount of time" .....
You would get laughed out of a dealership here unless 1. You are a repeat good customer and they were feeling benevolent, or 2. You found a dealer in a rare but good mood to provide customer satisfaction that might give them business in the future.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:42 PM

You would get laughed out of a dealership here unless 1. You are a repeat good customer and they were feeling benevolent, or 2. You found a dealer in a rare but good mood to provide customer satisfaction that might give them business in the future.
Laughed out of the dealership, straight to the consumer org to get what I'm entitled to under law? Yeah that would suck 🙄 ​​​​Learn your rights and use them, or bend over and let the dealer f**k you. Up to you 🤷

Anyways it's simply one thing to consider before making a decision, if you're too afraid of what a dealer might think of you to use the law then the decision's made for you.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 02-12-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Laughed out of the dealership, straight to the consumer org to get what I'm entitled to under law? .. .
You missed the part where I said "here".

Old 02-12-2024, 01:50 PM

You missed the part where I said "here".
You missed the part where I said "YMMV based on your local laws"

Old 02-12-2024, 02:19 PM

I have an interest in law and a background in legislation, and I also find it hard to believe that California doesn't have some sort of similar protection for consumers, so I did a 2 minute google and found this: https://casetext.com/statute/califor...usage-of-trade

Goods to be merchantable must be at least such as:
(a) Pass without objection in the trade under the contract description; and
(b) In the case of fungible goods, are of fair average quality within the description; and
(c) Are fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used; and
(d) Run, within the variations permitted by the agreement, of even kind, quality and quantity within each unit and among all units involved; and
(e) Are adequately contained, packaged, and labeled as the agreement may require; and
(f) Conform to the promises or affirmations of fact made on the container or label if any.
Note I have no idea how the law works in the US, so I can only go off what I read and this is only one tiny piece of legislation.

Based on that, I would argue that an engine part lasting one year and one month, apart from wear items which are allowed for above as "exclusions," is not "fit for purpose." Looking at this piece of legislation, it seems you would have a reasonable case to claim that Jag cannot limit their warranty to one year in this case.

One of the biggest problems that consumer law organizations have is that consumers take the word of companies when they tell them what their warranty rights are. Almost all developed countries have legal protections in place for consumers for exactly this sort of thing, and it seems California is no exception. Jag's limited warranty might last 12 months, but it seems the law might be on your side for a while longer.

That being said, definitely don't take legal advice from a guy 10,000 kilometers away talking s*** on an Internet forum 😂

Last edited by dangoesfast; 02-12-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:24 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

how many hours do shops charge for this work? just got all my parts and am looking to get this done. thx.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
how many hours do shops charge for this work? just got all my parts and am looking to get this done. thx.
us$1000-1500 is what I've seen on here before, it's not a small job. I was quoted au$1900 for my ali pipe install, which is about us$1400.. a bit rich for me so I'm going to do it myself.

I think there are already a couple of posts in this thread with prices, if not there's a second thread on this topic in the XJ forum

Old 02-12-2024, 03:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been quoted £1500 in the UK (inc 20%! tax), including genuine parts. which looks comparable.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!