Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Yes, very really.... I paid $330 at dealership to replace with metal pipes.... which I provided which cost me $99.00 at the time.

Water pump at Euro is around $60 and the water pump comes off when you replace the plastic coolant pipes so should be no up charge there.

So, in my book $3000.00 to replace plastic pipes with some other plastic pipes is in fact absolutely outrageous and even after that you still have plastic parts.
Except the main dealers also replace the supercharger gasket and intake gaskets and the oil cooler tube and water pump. Parts alone are half the cost here so that price is quite in line of where it's supposed to be.

And not sure how you paid only $330 for labour, most main dealers are 250-300 per hour and the book time is mulitple hours. As for a $60 water pump, I'd stick with genuine as the cheap knock-offs typically have shaft seal or bearing failure.

Old 06-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Received 244 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Except the main dealers also replace the supercharger gasket and intake gaskets and the oil cooler tube and water pump. Parts alone are half the cost here so that price is quite in line of where it's supposed to be.

And not sure how you paid only $330 for labour, most main dealers are 250-300 per hour and the book time is mulitple hours. As for a $60 water pump, I'd stick with genuine as the cheap knock-offs typically have shaft seal or bearing failure.
I
I am not sure about the quality of Euro Amp's water pump and I agree with you that I would not want some knock-off in there for such a critical part. A NOS part should be around $200.00

That being said, my dealer, as you know, did not remove the supercharger. Hence, the job took less than an hour and I was charged $330 out the door.

I am also not sure what the book time is for supercharger removal but even if that is, for purposes of discussion, five hours (which seems high to me) for the entire job that is $1,500 labor which means in this case parts are another $1,500.

So, yes, I find that to be ridiculous as well as outrageous.

And then, as I previously mentioned, one is replacing plastic with yet another plastic part which in my view defeats the purpose of doing this project in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 02:52 PM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Luc that is a very complete kit! I have used Euro-Amp several times too and have been satisfied.
The only red flag is the solid SC coupler?
We have a thread by GaiaXF-V8S on using the Eaton brand solid coupler and why theirs is the best. Maybe take a look at that thread? I changed my mind I now have the Eaton part waiting to be installed.
Eaton Solid Coupler

I am usually not much for video's but do watch the one Eaton released in the above thread as it shows exactly what the problem is and totally convinced me to get one. Amazing amount of counterfeit parts out there too!

Note the V6 and V8 engines use different couplers. Both are listed in the above thread.

Thanks for the link!

Yes, as per my research I likely won't be using every part of the kit (coupler, water pump, ... ) as the consensus seems to be that certain components are better left OEM (or at the very least, from a different source).
I plan to consult with my mechanic before ordering parts anyway.

Old 06-16-2024, 02:53 PM

I

That being said, my dealer, as you know, did not remove the supercharger. Hence, the job took less than an hour and I was charged $330 out the door.
Is your dealer a wizard??

jahummer (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:57 PM

No, he is not a wizard. Just happens to be competent.....

Old 06-16-2024, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

I haven’t updated yet because I still haven’t found any torx bits long enough or that’ll fit in the tiny gap. I went to see a tech friend at JLR and he doesn’t even have anything longer than 6-inches and extensions are way too large to fit as you can see in my posted video above and I was using an 8-inch bit.

After watching your tech’s videos dozens of times it looks like he’s using standard socket extensions which’re thicker than hex bit extensions so I don’t know how that’s even posssible 🤷🏽‍♂️

So the issue here isn’t competence it’s finding a bit that’s long enough (none of the major tool manufacturers offer anything) and even then that doesn’t solve getting to the head of the bolt which’s at an angle.

I still intend to find a way if I ever find a bit long enough.

Old 06-16-2024, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

I
I And then, as I previously mentioned, one is replacing plastic with yet another plastic part which in my view defeats the purpose of doing this project in the first place.
That’s the problem indeed.

Old 06-17-2024, 12:33 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

That’s the problem indeed.
This plastic pipe (even the newer ones), as with any plastic pipe, rubber component, etc, is a wear item. The aluminum pipes still have rubber o-rings which deteriorate over time. So don't think you are going to put on an aluminum pipe and it will be good forever the cost just goes into removal of other things to easily get to the pipe. I have never heard of anyone getting the pipe out without removing the supercharger, and frankly I'm looking forward to removing mine soon as there are other things to review/observe under there that may need attention. Also should probably address the coolant related pipes at the back of the motor as well as they are also "wear items". So no, I'm not going to short cut for some $330 job even if my mechanic had the surgical tools to do it.

Old 06-17-2024, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
. I have never heard of anyone getting the pipe out without removing the supercharger, and frankly I'm looking forward to removing mine soon as there are other things to review/observe under there that may need attention. Also should probably address the coolant related pipes at the back of the motor as well as they are also "wear items". So no, I'm not going to short cut for some $330 job even if my mechanic had the surgical tools to do it.
if you have never heard of anyone removing the water pipes without removing the supercharger perhaps you should peruse a few posts in this thread dating back more than a year ago (4-23, post 236) where this discussion and a video was provided that explained how the procedure was done without removing the supercharger.

As was amply discussed then and I will summarize now, no one, particularly myself is trying to convince, persuade, or induce you into inserting the pipes without removing the supercharger. I frankly do not give a hoot how you decide to do it or how much money you decide to throw at it to get it done. The information provided by myself and my JLR mechanic, who got on to this forum specifically to address this issue, was just to put forth another way of doing the procedure without the added expense of a supercharger removal.

I am pretty certain that I am not named in your will so I do not care how much money you want to spend. I do care that you seem to imply that this is some $300 short cut procedure because it does not conform to what in your mind is the only way possible to get to the pipes. You are wrong. There is another way and a very proven way and whether you accept that or not makes absolutely no difference to me.

I am reminded that when a few surgeons came up with a procedure to do non invasive surgery instead of just cutting someone open to do a Angioplasty and Coronary Atherectomy many said that it couldn't, shouldn't , be done because that was not the correct procedure. Well, the protests did not last long.

So please, do to your car as you see fit but do not chastise a $300 job because you don't like the "short cut" nature of it.

Old 06-17-2024, 03:53 AM

if you have never heard of anyone removing the water pipes without removing the supercharger perhaps you should peruse a few posts in this thread dating back more than a year ago (4-23, post 236) where this discussion and a video was provided that explained how the procedure was done without removing the supercharger.

As was amply discussed then and I will summarize now, no one, particularly myself is trying to convince, persuade, or induce you into inserting the pipes without removing the supercharger. I frankly do not give a hoot how you decide to do it or how much money you decide to throw at it to get it done. The information provided by myself and my JLR mechanic, who got on to this forum specifically to address this issue, was just to put forth another way of doing the procedure without the added expense of a supercharger removal.

I am pretty certain that I am not named in your will so I do not care how much money you want to spend. I do care that you seem to imply that this is some $300 short cut procedure because it does not conform to what in your mind is the only way possible to get to the pipes. You are wrong. There is another way and a very proven way and whether you accept that or not makes absolutely no difference to me.

I am reminded that when a few surgeons came up with a procedure to do non invasive surgery instead of just cutting someone open to do a Angioplasty and Coronary Atherectomy many said that it couldn't, shouldn't , be done because that was not the correct procedure. Well, the protests did not last long.

So please, do to your car as you see fit but do not chastise a $300 job because you don't like the "short cut" nature of it.
Hmmm George, I read your post as if you are offended, which certainly was not my intention. Nothing personal, as I have no idea who you are or what your goals are. Just stating my perspective and addressing realistic prices for the general population that may want to do a broader check for things under the supercharger...which cannot be done for that small sum of money. To each their own, carry on then...

SouthSider (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
The torx piece still looks to be 6” (if the tape is at the end) that is then attached to an adapter. Your issue is still with the adapter hitting if I understood your problem
Yes

Old 06-17-2024, 11:24 AM

That's twice I've been denied 😭

Supposedly one of the better Jag specific indies around... was it something I said??

Is anyone else having trouble finding someone who's willing to do this?
You'd think I was asking them to turn lead into gold... I just want a few pipes replaced...

​​​
(I'm asking around since my usual guy is um... taking his time in replying. Maybe he isn't keen either.)

Old 06-17-2024, 11:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I wouldn't trust anyone to work on my car who didn't know the difference between "cannot" (an inability to do something) and "can not" (an ability to choose not to do something). Lots of folk don't understand this difference, in which case I'd advise them to always use "cannot" since they'd be right pretty much all the time. [/pedant]

Luc Lapierre (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:55 AM

BFrank1972,

Thank you for your reply. I did interpret your interjection as an affront to an easier way to replace the pipes. We have been discussing this procedure for a very long time and I stated very early on that if there was some reason that a supercharger was coming off for either maintenance, service, or repair that would be an excellent time to replace the plastic pipes with metal ones. However, if one was just looking to just replace the pipes there is an option to do so without removing the supercharger. Again, I have no dog in this race. I am not selling or peddling anything nor am I trying to convince anyone. I just put the procedure out there as an option to consider in lieu of paying an astronomical figure if the supercharger was not already coming off. In other words, for those that desire to do a broader check, as you state, the supercharger should come off. Those that do not need that check at the time have another option they can consider.

So, the bottom line is I agree with you. To each their own and we carry on.

bfrank1972 (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 12:09 PM

BFrank1972,

Thank you for your reply. I did interpret your interjection as an affront to an easier way to replace the pipes. We have been discussing this procedure for a very long time and I stated very early on that if there was some reason that a supercharger was coming off for either maintenance, service, or repair that would be an excellent time to replace the plastic pipes with metal ones. However, if one was just looking to just replace the pipes there is an option to do so without removing the supercharger. Again, I have no dog in this race. I am not selling or peddling anything nor am I trying to convince anyone. I just put the procedure out there as an option to consider in lieu of paying an astronomical figure if the supercharger was not already coming off. In other words, for those that desire to do a broader check, as you state, the supercharger should come off. Those that do not need that check at the time have another option they can consider.

So, the bottom line is I agree with you. To each their own and we carry on.
Of course! Read through that prior thread and understand what you were talking about now, always good to have knowledge contributions like that, it is what makes this forum so great. Cheers

GeorgeIII (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Should I do a much thorough video?

I would do it for 1200 dollar with parts if you somehow could bring it to Texas…

Old 06-17-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre

That's twice I've been denied 😭

Supposedly one of the better Jag specific indies around... was it something I said??

Is anyone else having trouble finding someone who's willing to do this?
You'd think I was asking them to turn lead into gold... I just want a few pipes replaced...

​​​
(I'm asking around since my usual guy is um... taking his time in replying. Maybe he isn't keen either.)

Luc: send your car out to Victoria. The JLR dealer here has installed the metal pipes in two of our Jaguars.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
jahummer (06-17-2024), Luc Lapierre (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:04 AM
Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

I haven’t updated yet because I still haven’t found any torx bits long enough or that’ll fit in the tiny gap. I went to see a tech friend at JLR and he doesn’t even have anything longer than 6-inches and extensions are way too large to fit as you can see in my posted video above and I was using an 8-inch bit.

After watching your tech’s videos dozens of times it looks like he’s using standard socket extensions which’re thicker than hex bit extensions so I don’t know how that’s even posssible 🤷🏽‍♂️

So the issue here isn’t competence it’s finding a bit that’s long enough (none of the major tool manufacturers offer anything) and even then that doesn’t solve getting to the head of the bolt which’s at an angle.

I still intend to find a way if I ever find a bit long enough.
jeeeezus I've been away from the forums for 112 days and I clock on to find this argument still going 😂😂😂

George - the naysayers will NEVER stop so don't bother trying to convince them all, as soon as you convince one you're speaking truth three more will show up. If you stop telling everyone about your $330 fix, there'll be nothing for them to doubt
Everyone else - either take your car to George's mechanic, or deal with your mechanic doing it the way Jag's documentation is written

Problem solved 😂

I have another solution - George, ask your mechanic if he can help me do mine (maybe spend half an hour walking me through it over the phone or zoom - I'll pay him for the time) sometime in the next month or so, and I'll document the process and post it here so everyone can follow it (giving him as much credit as he wants). If he doesn't want to share, see my suggestion above.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 06-18-2024 at 12:06 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dangoesfast:
Jagknight85 (06-18-2024), JgaXkr (06-18-2024), Luc Lapierre (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zoom!!!!

Yes I would be down to help you out.. I need to see your current set up of pipes. And I can out together a list of tools. ⚒️

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagknight85:
dangoesfast (06-19-2024), jahummer (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 428 Likes on 313 Posts

watch this Video very helpful ,if you need help ive done 4 F-types and 2 Xjs with no issues , its fairly easy to do now

Last edited by dennis black; 06-18-2024 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Cooling Pipes - Finally!!